“Very trend hotel in central Auckland”
Review of Hotel DeBrett

Hotel DeBrett
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Really stylish hotel with very good service. Complinetary drinks for hotel guests for an hour each evening in their chic separate guest bar. Only stayed one night in a Classic room, but would certainly return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 March 2012

On a recent trip to Auckland, I decided to stay at the Hotel DeBrett based on other's opinions from trip advisor. Forget the naysayers! A terrific hotel, beautifully designed, with a lovely restaurant, in an amazing central location.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful, and I don't think any hotel could be more pleasant. I arrived at about 9 am, and while there was no room available for me to book me into right away, the staff made me very comfortable in their "living room." I had some breakfast, and as soon as a room was ready, they came and got me. There were at least 2 gay couples eating breakfast while I was there, which made me feel very comfortable that I chose the right place; not to say that this is a gay-oriented hotel, because its not, but it is very gay friendly. (Don't want to scare away the heteros!)

The continental breakfast, which comes with your room, is sufficient enough. Not amazing, but nice. You can order hot food if you desire.

Everything worth seeing in the city is walkable from this location. It was perfect.

My highest recommendations!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank tribecadoc
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Not a hotel for us and we travel widely. Too much design and not enough practical thought. For example you could not hang a dress in the wardrobe! Room too small, would have been happy to have a smaller bathroom and more bedroom! Service also dire at both breakfast and dinner.

3  Thank hazel c
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We loved Hotel De Brett. We stayed for three nights (Thursday-Saturday) in late February and found it to be a wonderful base for our first-time visit to Auckland. We had a boutique suite on level 1 ($400 NZD/night), with windows looking directly into the restaurant area. There are curtains for privacy but we left them open other than when undressed to let the natural light in (out of curiosity I did check from the restaurant side and you couldn't see much through the double windows). It was also acceptably quiet inside the room even with an almost full restaurant.

The rooms are really well equipped, in three days the only thing we had to ask for was an iron and board (seemed a little unusual not to have one in-room but I guess the art-deco wardrobe wasn't set up to store it and perhaps most travellers are better organised than my other half). All staff were really friendly and approachable and the overall atmosphere was professional yet relaxed.

Free WiFi was appreciated as was the guest computer in the Drawing Room. The Drawing Room itself looks well equipped with books, games, and DVDs but as we spent most of our visit out and about we didn't really spend much time in it. We missed the complimentary evening drinks due to our external explorations and we also didn't use the offsite gym despite our best intentions so I can't comment on those features.

The famous bathrooms live up to the hype and I made good use of the massive tub. I think the shower would be a little confronting if hungover though. Being eco-friendly was much easier here than other places thanks to the towel-rack ladder in the corner of the room.

We ate in-house at Kitchen on our first night and were impressed by the food, wine and service. Housebar had a good selection of wines by the glass but we were more impressed by (the external) Cornerbar which we visited a number of times for the vibe and views out into High Street (we visited during the Viva First Light event which made for great people-watching).

Overall, we were thoroughly impressed and wouldn't look elsewhere for a return visit to Auckland. As others have mentioned the location is terrific, close to the Britomart hub and within easy suitcase-laden walking distance from the airport shuttle stops.

Room Tip: Visit the hotel website, descriptions are spot on.
Reviewed 4 March 2012

What a wonderful hotel!
My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and loved everything about it. The staff a friendly and helpful and also offer a level of professionalism that far exceeds what you receive at the "big" hotels.
The rooms are small but very functional (we stayed in the entry level room at $300 NZD per night). The bathroom was large and also very functional.
We loved the "Drawing Room" honesty bar and particularly the complimentary drink between 6:30 - 7:00pm. This was a fantastic way to meet other guests and enjoy a drink with them in a cosy environment which felt like a time warp from a bygone Art Deco era. This period is also hosted by a friendly and helpful host employed by the hotel so you also get an opportunity to ask for some local advice.
The restaurant is also excellent.

The one thing I would say is that this place is not everyone's cup of tea. It is a little "quirky" but my wife fell in love with it.

You are walking distance to Britomart transportation and shopping area, 10 minutes walk to the Viaduct Basin and also right in the middle of many great bars, restaurants and cafes.

My only negative would be that the rooms facing internally to the restaurant area do experience a little noise on busy weekends. This was not a concern for us but it may bother some people. maybe ask for a room which is externally facing.

Room Tip: My only negative would be that the rooms facing internally to the restaurant area do experience a li...
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I had a great time here for 2 nights in March 2012. Fantastic location and friendly staff. The room was superb, and the shower was brilliant! The bed is to die for! There were only two minor things that could be improved - the channel selection on the tv wasn't the best, and I needed to venture outside of the hotel restaurant for a good coffee. Continental breakfast was included in my stay and there was a nice selection of options to choose from. The complimentary drinks in the drawing room was a nice intimate touch and a great way to meet others staying in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Only stayed here one night on a short stopover in Auckland, but we really loved this hotel.

It is very modern and cool. It's in a great location and has an excellent bar and restaurant.

We had a Boutique Suite, which is supposed to be a little more spacious than a normal room. While we had a tiny lounge area, I wouldn't say the room was very big. Quite the opposite, but that said it was very neat, clean and comfortable.

The bathroom is stocked with decent toiletries (always a plus!) as well as green velvet bathrobes which are a bit different. It was quite spacious and the heated floor felt nice on my feet.

We went into the drawing room for drinks in the evening. It's a great space and a very friendly staff member was there to serve us whatever we wanted, from local wines through to cocktails. We sat and talked with a few other guests, which was a very pleasant way to start the evening.

Breakfast the next morning was just right, with a mix of cereals, fruits and bread.

In summary, we'll definitely be back next time we are in Auckland. It is so much nicer to stay in these boutique-style hotels than the big name ones. Service is more personal and you really feel at home.