“Most comfortable bed ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel DeBrett

Hotel DeBrett
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Most comfortable bed ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a very lovely time here, sunk into the most wonderful bed of goose down. The hostess was very personable and sociable. The interior design was really gorgeous and the hotel was very quiet given its central Auckland location.

Room Tip: Not sure but ours on a corner was very nice
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

I spent three days here and it was a pleasure.

On arrival, the entrance didn't make me think I was in for a terrific time, its ordinary and less than spectacular. It's on quite a busy street and I wasn't really prepared how to get my two large suitcases from my hire car to the hotel. There was nobody out front and I was lucky to find a space outside and go in to find the staff who then told me they had valet parking. I would suggest that any drivers have a hotel number and cell phone to hand, just in case. The city drivers are less than patient with people blocking the busy street.

Anyway, once inside I found the staff to be very relaxed and friendly. That self-confident service style that is reassuring: you don't doubt that things will be done when someone tells you they will do it.

My room was on the first floor which had me worried in a downtown city. But wow! They have it very soundproofed and it was deathly quiet in my room. Free Internet service and a strange 'milk on demand' process.

The decor was great, the reception was ever helpful and friendly. The bar and restaurant we top class and Sunday night had first class jazz entertainment.

I recommend this place.

Oh yeah, it is a bit pricey but I think you will be able to justify it to yourself.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Alpha_Explorer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband and I managed to find Hotel de Brett after a friend recommended it. We enjoyed a lovely lunch there and decided to book a night as a treat. This has to be the nicest place we have stayed at in Auckland. We loved the decor, the comfortable, warm and luxurious beds, the privacy and intimacy of the hotel, the hotel guest reading room, and the fact that the food was so so good! The vibe from the staff, whether it be at reception or the restaurant, was polite, helpful, professional, and willing to go the extra mile. They set a standard that is something for other hotels to strive for. Recommend to anyone wanting to treat themselves for just a little bit more cash.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Sukerr
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed at the Hotel DeBrett for three days at the tail end of our Honeymoon. I'd never stayed in a "Boutique" Hotel before, and wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is decorated with a very cute 60's modern theme. It's a little bit like being transported onto the set of "Mad Men". The hallway is a little much, as is the elevator, but for the most part it's very nice.

Our room (2.5) was amazing. They spared no expense on the bed, the sheets, and the comforter. It was bliss sleeping in there. The french press was nice for the morning coffee, as was the fresh milk delivery.

The bathroom was also great. I think it had the greatest shower I've even had the pleasure of using, with a rain showerhead which pumped out tons of hot water, and a little handheld as well. My wife also enjoyed the very deep bathtub.

The location is also great, about a block off of Queen St. down by the waterfront. Just far enough off the street that we weren't disturbed at night, but close enough where you feel like you're a part of everything.

The free continental breakfast was good. We did eat at Kitchen one night, which I found disappointing, but will review that separately.

The only downside is the expense. $300 NZD a night was our most expensive hotel of the trip. Still I don't regret it. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 2.5 was our room, and it was great.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I chose this hotel from the great Tripadvisor comments. We like quality hotels that fit a couple and teenage son. Mostly it lived up to expectations. Great location in the city- near the harbour, shops, restaurants. Very stylishly decorated throughout. Staff are warm and friendly. Continental breakfast with espresso coffee is very good. The cleaning was excellent and turn down service nice. I was disappointed with our room however - it was inward facing to the hotel public area and we would have had to close the curtains for 3 days. Not comfortable. We were offered an upgrade because all our room types were booked. We had to accept because the room we had was unacceptable. That cost an extra $50/nite on top of what was already quite expensive. The new room was also dark. This affected my experience at the hotel.

Room Tip: Take care that you don't get allocated an inward facing room as it looks out through colored gla...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

The hotel is very nice, the staff is friendly, breakfast is good.
Unfortunately the room we were assigned, though spacious and tastefully decorated, completely lacked of natural light and overlooked common areas. So we had to choose between keeping the curtains closed all the time or beeing seen by other guests. For the price we paid, we expected something better.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwitaliani
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

If you want excellent city location, quiet rooms,stylish,upmarket,modern with a art deco twist choose DeBretts.Staff are genuinely friendly and interested.Amongst fabulous shops and close to top restaurants and cafes.Beds and bedding luxurious.Award winning restaurant part of the complex along with casual bar with gorgeous wines and boutique beers.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business