“Quiet, comfortable and very good service”
Review of Hotel DeBrett

Hotel DeBrett
Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Nelson, New Zealand
“Quiet, comfortable and very good service”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I dont have any doubt in all the hotels that I have stayed in AKL this provides the quietest rooms..on top of this great service and fabulous fit-out .I was in a loft suite and did not really need all of the facilities..2 bshower 2 toilet for myself as a single traveller.
Strongly reccomended.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep this is where you come!!.Anywhere as I understand a high level of n...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We had a mid winter dinner to attend with our lovely friends - all 18 of us! Because we didn't want to drive home afterwards we booked a standard room! From check in to car valet parking, (it was taken care of before I asked), to a quick look around the small boutique hotel with stunning fitout - furniture ranging from 50's to 60's I would assume with the look of Art Deco rounded corners and lovely colours and stripes. The owner hosted a coctail in the private lounge - nice (we broke away from our group for this and learnt heaps about the Hotels past). The bathrooms were stunning with the black spotted tiled interior. Everything oozed comfort and style - with colour and it was quite eclectic - not boring! The bars and lounges were fabulous as well. BUT - you simply must try their food! We raved......we are all seasoned eaters and drinkers but this place was a stunner. I will recommend it all over the place. BTW my rave isn't induced by alcolhol!

Room Tip: Can't really but ours was fantastic - double glazing keeps out the street noises but the city wa...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilycoles
Auckland
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Hands down my favourite hotel in New Zealand. As an incentive travel planner I have travelled NZ and around the world and stayed in some very special properties - Hotel DeBrett is world class. We enjoyed a lovely experience from check in to check out. The rooms are fabulous - each one is different and cleverly furnished. Nothing has been overlooked including padded coat hangers! The public areas of the hotel are just lovely, welcoming and very differenct from your standard hotel. The bar area (great martinis!) is cosy and has a beautiful fireplace with lovely comfortable furniture to lounge in. Adjacent to this is the Hotel's restaurant - the food is fantastic!! Beautiful hotel, five star plus! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AucklandKatie
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We had a very lovely time here, sunk into the most wonderful bed of goose down. The hostess was very personable and sociable. The interior design was really gorgeous and the hotel was very quiet given its central Auckland location.

Room Tip: Not sure but ours on a corner was very nice
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

I spent three days here and it was a pleasure.

On arrival, the entrance didn't make me think I was in for a terrific time, its ordinary and less than spectacular. It's on quite a busy street and I wasn't really prepared how to get my two large suitcases from my hire car to the hotel. There was nobody out front and I was lucky to find a space outside and go in to find the staff who then told me they had valet parking. I would suggest that any drivers have a hotel number and cell phone to hand, just in case. The city drivers are less than patient with people blocking the busy street.

Anyway, once inside I found the staff to be very relaxed and friendly. That self-confident service style that is reassuring: you don't doubt that things will be done when someone tells you they will do it.

My room was on the first floor which had me worried in a downtown city. But wow! They have it very soundproofed and it was deathly quiet in my room. Free Internet service and a strange 'milk on demand' process.

The decor was great, the reception was ever helpful and friendly. The bar and restaurant we top class and Sunday night had first class jazz entertainment.

I recommend this place.

Oh yeah, it is a bit pricey but I think you will be able to justify it to yourself.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Alpha_Explorer
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband and I managed to find Hotel de Brett after a friend recommended it. We enjoyed a lovely lunch there and decided to book a night as a treat. This has to be the nicest place we have stayed at in Auckland. We loved the decor, the comfortable, warm and luxurious beds, the privacy and intimacy of the hotel, the hotel guest reading room, and the fact that the food was so so good! The vibe from the staff, whether it be at reception or the restaurant, was polite, helpful, professional, and willing to go the extra mile. They set a standard that is something for other hotels to strive for. Recommend to anyone wanting to treat themselves for just a little bit more cash.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Sukerr
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed at the Hotel DeBrett for three days at the tail end of our Honeymoon. I'd never stayed in a "Boutique" Hotel before, and wasn't sure what to expect. I wasn't disappointed. The hotel is decorated with a very cute 60's modern theme. It's a little bit like being transported onto the set of "Mad Men". The hallway is a little much, as is the elevator, but for the most part it's very nice.

Our room (2.5) was amazing. They spared no expense on the bed, the sheets, and the comforter. It was bliss sleeping in there. The french press was nice for the morning coffee, as was the fresh milk delivery.

The bathroom was also great. I think it had the greatest shower I've even had the pleasure of using, with a rain showerhead which pumped out tons of hot water, and a little handheld as well. My wife also enjoyed the very deep bathtub.

The location is also great, about a block off of Queen St. down by the waterfront. Just far enough off the street that we weren't disturbed at night, but close enough where you feel like you're a part of everything.

The free continental breakfast was good. We did eat at Kitchen one night, which I found disappointing, but will review that separately.

The only downside is the expense. $300 NZD a night was our most expensive hotel of the trip. Still I don't regret it. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 2.5 was our room, and it was great.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple