“Love at first sight!”

Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Haleiwa, Hawaii
“Love at first sight!”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Hotel DeBrett is super stylish and vey posh. The hotel staff was very hospitable, friendly, and helpful. The owner Michelle was a gem. She is a woman to be admired, a native kiwi, and world travelled. She knew so much about New Zealand, and was so kind to all of us. You could really feel her warm energy and attention to detail in the place. Michelle gave us great advice on things to do in the city. If I ever moved to Auckland I'd love to become one of her friends. She really was so cool!

When I first came across DeBretts online I was impressed with the modern decor, luxurious rooms and possible child friendly atmosphere they promoted. I was intrigued that they are voted #1 in Auckland. Yet because of the price point I was hesitant. If you book on line you can save yourself quite a bit of money. My husband discouraged booking on line because he's a very free traveller and doesn't want to commit in case he decides to change plans. Which in retrospect could have saved us some money. My husband also tends to be quite frugal. I on the other hand can be frugal yet enjoy more extravagance and love to experience fine things. He says he doesn't mind spending the money as long as the experience is totally worth it. He expects the customer service to be impeccable and there has to be some WOW factor. I was praying DeBretts wouldn't disappoint as it was my idea to stay in this particular hotel and he kept reminding me before we walked in if this is how I would like to spend "our money".

DeBretts was all we could hope for and more! They made my children feel very welcome and did small extra things that were excellent touches such as the "frothy" the server thought to bring my two little ones at the complimentary continental breakfast. Basically this is a miniature milk with a frothy top similar to a cappuccino with sprinkles. The kids loved it! My son was so disappointed when we couldn't get another "frothy" because we had to leave so early the next morning to catch our flight. My husband loved the place, so I can honestly say the service and trendy modern rooms left to impress. He says we can always stay our last few nights in Auckland at DeBretts. That's a lot to promise for a guy who really enjoys camping.

We'll be back. In the area the hotel is located there's excellent book stores and shopping within walking distance. There are a few cool places to get a drink or dinner in the evening. The restaurant in house was superb! The evening cocktail in the drawing room was pleasurable. Book it you won't regret it!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wild-and-free808

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
San Juan de Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel is only 2 minutes walk from Queens Street, the main street of Auckland, a shoppers paradise!! A very atractive hotel with excellent facilities, our room had a small lounge and very well equipped bathroom.. Breakfast was very good, the coffee excellent!! Not easy to find unless one has a Satnav in the car as we did. They have a residents pre-dinner drink in the evening which is a rather novel idea and worked well, it got people talking to each other, breaking the ice! Free WiFi is available.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have stayed at DeBrett a couple of times (mainly for work) and so I have stayed for several days at times. The location is right in the heart of the city so really convenient in terms of being close to offices or even for tourists - shopping, restaurants, bars, etc. Step out and you'll find tonnes of shops.

My favourite part about the hotel is their service. Having stayed in quite a few other hotels in Auckland (bigger chains) in each of the cases, service most definitely was average at best if not terrible. The hotel staff are super friendly and helpful and always greet you with a smile. They are very hospitable and do know how to treat their guests.

The hotel is a boutique hotel and hence is very different in terms of decor (in a good way) from other standard format hotels. Unlike other hotels in Auckland (which are way worse in their offering), their price includes - a contintental breakfast, internet access, complimentary drink in the evening and a huge collection of dvds/books to choose from. The rooms are gorgeous and the bathroom is amazing too.

I'd always recommend checking availability at this hotel before trying any other place. The only challenge is that since it's a small property and always in demand, it can be hard to reserve a room unless you book in advance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ohno1234
Norway
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We only stayed one night at Hotell DeBrett. The hotel was a bit hard to find at first, and I was concerned about finding a parking spot near the hotel upon arrival. I was really glad when I discovered that the hotel had a valet service, which turned out to work like a charm. It took away a lot of the stress when arriving at an inner-city hotel. We were also upgraded upon arrival by a charming receptionist, who also helped us with our luggage. I found our suite to be spacious and accommodating. In the evening we had a complimentary glass of wine, and got to meet some of the management and the other guests. The hotel helped us make restaurant reservations at a great place nearby. The only thing we could fault was the continental breakfast. It was at best average, and it didn`t have much to be desired compared to a lot of other places we have stayed. Overall – would recommend this property.

1 Thank Ghostviking
Yeppoon, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2013

From the moment we walked into this hotel - the mood was set. It is fun, funky and colourful! The staff are absolutely awesome - always so helpful and had the best in-the-know recommendations to help make our stay just a little bit more special. Great location - shopping around High St is great and only a few minutes walk to the Viaduct and Queen St.
Continental breakfast was all you need - although could do with some daily variation if you are staying longer than a couple of days.
We are so glad that we stayed in this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank CQflyer78
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Hotel DeBrett was an absolutely perfect start to our Honeymoon!! My husband described it as my personality in the form of a hotel. It's funky, colourful, clean, comfortable and has amazing service! Every single inch of the room was tidy, clean and detailed!! The furniture completed the rooms mod feel with the striped carpet, completely tiled bathroom and amazing bed head also contributing to the mod theme.
BUT, I must say that the absolute best thing about our room was the bed!!! OMG - it was like being swallowed by a cloud and my husband and I never wanted to get up!!!
The service was fantastic and I would recommend paying the $20 a day valet service if you have a car as the streets are so narrow and would be a pain to try and find parks and navigate through.
The elevator is completed tiled with mirrors and was a huge surprise when the cooper doors of the old fashioned looking lift opened!!
I would 100% recommend this too ALL my family and friends and we will definitely be returning to Hotel DeBrett!!

Thank you to the great team at Hotel DeBrett

• Stayed March 2013
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is a modernistic, well maintained boutique style hotel about ten minutes walk from the harbour front and restaurants. Our room was reasonably sized and comfortable, with a big bed, but sadly with a view to abandoned shops and offices just over the road.

The welcome was friendly and the staff were helpful. The hotel is small enough not to feel busy and to allow personal attention. Guests are invited for complimentary pre-dinner drinks in a private library each evening (whether eating in the hotel or not).

Our chip and pin credit card was rejected at check in. In fact this was simply reception staff error, but it caused us some concern on our first day in NZ until we successfully used it in a harbour front restaurant.

The continental breakfast included in our rate was good quality, but rather limited in choice. There is no on-site parking, other than for 5 minutes on the street for loading.

Overall this is an acceptable hotel for a couple of days in Auckland.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple