“Exceptional Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Exceptional Hotel”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

What a exceptional hotel. Not ever been to Auckland before and finding a location that is so central In the city was spot on.

With the subtle easy check In and be escorted around the hotel showing us where the restaurant and the drawing room then been shown to our room was just so different.

The room well appointed , so quiet , the bed so comfortable and the service by the whole team at this hotel are to be commended. Nothing was to difficult to accommodate by the team at hotel DeBrett .

Loved the turn down service provided when your out and about , coming back to your room finding the curtains drawn and the bed ready to sink into was just a Lovely touch .

Hotel DeBrett is at the top of our list for a hotel choice in Auckland. And we will be back .

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rickmatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Fabulous room, brilliant location and front of house went out of her way to help with a number of requests with grace and charm. My go to hotel for Auckland from now on! Bathroom was really cool and lovely products.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robine S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Location and accommodation were excellent for 2 nights to relax and explore this part of Auckland. Walking distance to the harbour, many shops, cafes and restaurants. Supremely comfortable beds, spacious, quiet and stylish room with friendly helpful staff. Stayed in a classic room with windows to the internal atrium. Internet included was very useful. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yank7
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Location is in the central business district close to everything. We were worried about street noise at first but the windows have extra soundproofing and the room was very quiet. Room was truly lovely and interesting to look at. Staff was friendly and helpful. Included breakfast was cold continental--we usually augmented it with one cooked dish that we split. Would be a five star review except that the room, beautiful as it was, was not really five stars comfort-wise. Bed was awfully soft, shower temperature was hard to adjust correctly instead of too hot or cold, and a couple other little niggles. In the larger scheme of things though, those were minor quibbles on an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Darrick P
Auckland
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I booked the loft suite for one night as a birthday surprise for my husband who had worked at the hotel in the 1980's. At breakfast the next morning we decided we couldn't bear to leave, it was just such a fabulous experience - so we stayed for another night (given our budget and the room rates not a light decision!). Everything was amazing, the front office staff were outstanding and a real credit to the hotel, the decor was gorgeous - I can see from other reviews that this might not be everyone's idea of gorgeous but even if you don't like the style you have to see that everything is so in keeping with the theme of the hotel. The room info book, the business cards, the carpet, the staff uniforms, the artwork, the whole place has a very sleek theme. Our loft suite was really cool, the bed was to die for, we slept so well both nights. The bath was a real highlight for me, I'm 5'9" and it was deep enough for me to lie back up to my neck and my feet were a good way from the end, central plug so great for two as well. I'd taken a risk not taking my trusty hair drier but instead of the usual sad hotel model I got salon quality - what a treat! I was told they also have GHDs - just in case you forget yours! The invite to have hosted pre dinner drinks in the Drawing Room was a really nice extra that was most unexpected, Michelle the owner is an absolute delight to talk to, her passion for the hotel and her guests experience while staying is clear to see. It was a great way to meet and talk to fellow guests. All in all a fabulous weekend, worth every cent. We will definitely do it again. Absolute highlight - hard to choose - it was all outstanding.

Room Tip: Loft suite is just gorgeous - so quiet you'd think the world outside had stopped.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NZKB2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was very excited about my stay in this boutique hotel and it was quite a treat for me.
Lovely service at check in and a lovely room. A few design flaws but no problems for one night.
And for what it is, it really is overpriced.

What got me is their lack of transparency and honesty. I was told on check in that they would 'take a print' of my card. I was not told they would put a $100 hold on my card. I was also then not told it would take so long to come back to me!

If you are going to charge a bond, you need to tell people, you also need to tell people that it can take so many days to clear. Although, after checking out and realising I was still short, to be fair, the lady did tell me it would take just overnight. But then of course it took 4 nights in total.
This was a debit plus card I gave so this made me $100 short for the rest of my trip.

I'll stick to the Hilton

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Paula A
Brisbane
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Very helpful staff, who were quick to provide any thing we asked for.
We were given a room upgrade, but I think I would have preferred the room that I selected which was all on one level. The split level was a bit claustrophobic.
Good central location.
The place was let down by a very average breakfast including raw egg and cold coffee.
The room was well presented but a little pokey.
Perhaps my expectations were too high after all the previous reviews?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business