“Wonderful surprise in Auckland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel DeBrett

Hotel DeBrett
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful surprise in Auckland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

I love it when I come across a hotel that is really able to make a trip extraordinary, not just somewhere to sleep. I've been lucky enough to stay in some fantastic hotels around the world and this one is right up there with the best of them. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by John, one of the owners, and shown to our room and given a tour of the hotel's facilities. The room, a Classic, was very spacious, had a King bed, cool bathroom and was furnished with unique modern and eclectic peices which worked well with the hotel's original art deco styling. We loved the central atrium, under which you could relax by the fire reading the paper (or a drink in the evening) or enjoy a meal from the hotel's restaurant. The art-deco bar is cozy and had a very impressive range of exotic drinks available. Our favourite area was the drawing room, which is a wonderful, relaxing retreat within the hotel. There is a small library, DVD and music collection as well as an honesty bar for member's to enoy at their leisure. Other great features - free wireless broadband, breakfast included, pillow menu. The staff were very welcoming and very helpful when we required assistance. Aside from our engagement during this trip, Hotel DeBrett was certainly the highlight and we would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Auckland. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and I have recently returned from four nights at the sublime Hotel De Brett. Following a week of skiing, we were after some R&R, and this is precisely what the hotel delivered. The room was a spacious loft with bedroom and bathroom upstairs and living room and toilet below. It is clear that a good deal of attention was paid to the fit-out of this establishment. Whilst the building itself is quite old, the interior features modern desinger furnishings and quirky artworks. The interior atrium is the heart of the hotel. Its a lovely, light and airy place to start the day with breakfast and by night it becomes an ambient venue for dinner and/or drinks. Should you stay at the hotel on a Sunday night, don't miss the jazz trio that plays from 6 - 9pm - they're terrific. Other features are the beautifully comfortable beds, the friendly and obliging staff and the calibre of its restaurant. The hotel's location is another feature - right in the heart of the shopping and dining precinct of Auckland.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

We spent 5 nights at this hotel recently and loved it. We had a very large corner room with plenty of natural light, with ensuite bathroom, separate toilet. We particularly liked the fact it was low rise; with a lift, very centrally located in downtown Auckland. Staff were very helpful and friendly and they also organised airport pickup and drop off for us too.
There is a very good restaurant on site serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. At one side of the dining room there is a lovely sitting area with a glass ceiling and gas open fire.
We also really liked the idea of the drawing room for hotel guests only; accessed by your key - in this room was an honour system drinks bar, computer, books, dvd's, games and comfortable lounge furniture.
Even though the hotel is right in the city it was very quiet - lots of shops and restaurants around the hotel too.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Longreach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2010

I have been a bit slow in posting this review but I really wanted to say something about this place. We stayed here in March 2010. "We" comprising my wife and I and a 1 year old. Mixing business with sightseeing, the hotel could not have been better situated for our needs. It is central, close to restaurants, shopping and also a small convenience store (for baby emergencies).

Because we stayed here almost an entire week I would suggest that we really got to experience all Hotel DeBrett had to offer. I should mention that we stayed in a suite which consisted of 2 rooms connected and was a little more expensive then the standard room. Although small, each of these rooms had a TV and were plushly decorated. The bed and bathroom were great. We chose this set-up because our toddler could sleep separately to us. Upon notifying the hotel that we had a child they immediately made up a wonderful little cot for her (which was made up each day).

Breakfast each morning was served in the hotel restaurant. Not your typical "continental" breakfast it included a wide range of fruits, breads, condiments etc. An a la carte "hot" breakfast was also available at extra cost. Our daughter was welcomed each morning like a VIP with the waitresses hurrying to set up her little chair. She tried to reciprocate this kindness by minimsing what she threw on the floor.

Our room was made up each day, often attempting to fit in with me returning home with our daughter for her sleeps. Then in the evening we were invited each day to the library for complimentary drinks. This gave you a chance to chat to other guests if you wished or to the interesting and friendly staff.

We dined in the restaurant one night we were there. The Spanish maitre d' was very warm, friendly and knowledgeable without being pushy. The food was very good without being exceptional.

What I haven't mentioned is the decor. My wife and I are Art Deco fans and the hotel has been lovingly restored almost completely "true-to-type" whilst allowing for the modern necessities most guests demand (like free wi-fi). Despite this, the hotel is not a museum and comes across as warm and homely.

I really couldn't speak highly enough of this hotel. I didn't get to meet the manager until the day we pulled up outside and loaded in our suitcases in preparation to depart but she stopped and chatted for almost half an hour, interested in our travels and what we thought of her hotel.

I don't post many reviews but Hotel DeBrett thoroughly deserved my effort. It is one of the best hotels I have styed in.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

This gem of a hotel, in a beautifully restored old hotel, well-located in downtown Auckland, is modern, a tad funky and provides top-notch comfort with every possible amenity. It deserves the architectural awards it has garnered. Kitchen, the in-house restaurant, is wonderful, with a small, yet well-chosen, menu and wine list. Willing and helpful staff round out the picture.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

We wanted a hotel with a difference and we were not disappointed. Quirky and fun, but also styish and luxurious.

I loved the mix of modern and art deco. Our suite was great, lovely linen, sumptuous bed, well thought out bathroom with fab shower, welcoming and comfy sitting room.

We loved meeting the great owners/designers John and Michelle - Michelle has promised to help me out should I ever require the services of an interior designer. Such vision and energy.

One of the highlights of our stay was eating in their restaurant. As good as the best. The seafood parfait was truly memorable.

Brilliantly located for seeing the sights and shopping.

Even if you don't stay there, you should try and visit for a meal or even a cup of their delicious coffee.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Savannah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

I was in Auckland one night for business and originally had booked in a hotel chain before checking out tripadvisor and seeing Hotel DeBrett listed as the number 1 hotel in the city. I decided to change my reservation, and I am so glad I did. Instead of spending a lonely night in a big hotel room that could have been any where, I stayed in a fantastic room with bright decor and one of the coolest bathrooms I have ever seen. But better than that, I made friends and had a fabulous evening. The hotel offers a free drink to those who stop by the library from 6:30 to 7:00. I made friends with a couple of great people from Boston - we moved into the glass atrium for a couple of more drinks from the bar. The atmosphere in the atrium was definitely cool - we didn't want to leave. By the time we got up to grab dinner, many of the restaurants in the area had closed for the evening so we took a cab to the Ponsonby area where we had a fun dinner at SPQR. The hotel was extremely helpful in finding us a place to eat, as well as giving advice throughout my entire visit. I'd also like to mention that Hotel DeBrett is a great value for what you get - plus it was cheaper than the chain hotels. I had been to Auckland several years ago and did not have fond memories, but my stay at Hotel DeBrett has given me a completely different opinion of the city!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business