“A gem”

Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Atlanta, GA
“A gem”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed here two nights at the end of a two week tour of New Zealand. We found many other hotels in NZ to be poor value for money with variable service; this was not the case with DeBrett. The rooms were well-appointed and clean, toiletries were replaced every day, and the complimentary snacks were good. Room service was delicious and well-priced. The restaurant was exemplary for both dinner and the complimentary continental breakfast (loads of freshly baked danishes, fresh fruit salad, etc). The beds were very comfortable and we heard no noise from the street or bustling restaurant/bar.

The only downside to this hotel is that you must stay here at the end of your trip, otherwise every hotel will pale in comparison!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
New Zealand
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Stayed here for two nights for a weekend away and loved everything about the Hotel. We chose De Brett's based on location for shopping on High St and Cafes and its mid century furniture/design. One of our favorite things was the private lounge area that you could retire to at night or early morning that only guests can use - it's "your lounge" away from home with books, games, news papers, cd's etc. Had a good breakfast here once but if you want a change, try Melba around the cnr on Vulcan lane for good coffee and food. Will be back next time in Auckland.

Brisbane
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We wanted to stay somewhere different - not just another cookie cutter hotel. What a find this was. Stylish, luxurious, quirky, a wonderful mix of modern and art deco with unique pieces all over the hotel.
Our suite was lovely and well appointed with all luxury linens, comfy bed and wonderful modern bathroom. We had a suite with juliette balconies overlooking the fabulous light filled atrium. Separate toilet was great. Room was well laid out - there was nothing actually that I would improve on.
We were lucky enough to meet Michelle, one of the owners. What a stylish, warm and energetic person she is. Her vision has definitely been realised in this hotel. The service was also warm and friendly on all counts. Great location too. Fab start to a great trip to NZ. We will definitely be staying there on our next visit to Auckland.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I have had the pleasure of staying at Hotel DeBrett five times, four of these in the past three months. It is the first and only place I think of when I need a relaxing break from a hectic schedule.

The rooms are quirky and all different. In fact, I've stayed in the same room twice and each time the furniture was different. I love the fact that things move around and change. The rooms are all spacious - no matter what the room type. A classic room has more than enough room for two people, the boutique room with the added space of a separate lounge area. The free wi-fi is a great touch as well.

The team here go the extra mile. I left my mobile in the room after check out and I was lucky to have it waiting for me at reception for pick up. It was only after I had picked it up and had left that I noticed they had fully charged it for me - and did so without telling me or expecting a thank you for it. These small hidden things they do that when you realise, put a smile on your face. Allowing me to use a vase they had on display to put some Valentine's Day flowers in last year, or leaving me a lighter so I could light up some candles.

What I love most about Hotel DeBrett is the fact that it does not feel like a hotel at all. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The bathrooms are bigger than mine at home. The first thing I do when I arrive is draw a hot bath. The showers, big enough for two, the underfloor heating warms up the bathroom tiles perfectly. The towels are big in size and good enough to have at home. The Eithne Curran amenities are wonderful.

I live in Auckland and love the hotel so much that I leave my own home to come and stay here. Sometimes all I need is to curl up in their roomy beds on a rainy day and watch DVDs readily available from their Drawing Room. It's a perfect escape.

I highly recommend a stay at Hotel DeBrett.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We stayed at the DeBrett for two nights the rooms were modern, spacious and the service was excellent. Breakfast was perfect for us and the staff was quick to get special coffees and what ever else we asked for. Would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I love it when I come across a hotel that is really able to make a trip extraordinary, not just somewhere to sleep. I've been lucky enough to stay in some fantastic hotels around the world and this one is right up there with the best of them. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by John, one of the owners, and shown to our room and given a tour of the hotel's facilities. The room, a Classic, was very spacious, had a King bed, cool bathroom and was furnished with unique modern and eclectic peices which worked well with the hotel's original art deco styling. We loved the central atrium, under which you could relax by the fire reading the paper (or a drink in the evening) or enjoy a meal from the hotel's restaurant. The art-deco bar is cozy and had a very impressive range of exotic drinks available. Our favourite area was the drawing room, which is a wonderful, relaxing retreat within the hotel. There is a small library, DVD and music collection as well as an honesty bar for member's to enoy at their leisure. Other great features - free wireless broadband, breakfast included, pillow menu. The staff were very welcoming and very helpful when we required assistance. Aside from our engagement during this trip, Hotel DeBrett was certainly the highlight and we would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Auckland. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed 9 July 2010

My husband and I have recently returned from four nights at the sublime Hotel De Brett. Following a week of skiing, we were after some R&R, and this is precisely what the hotel delivered. The room was a spacious loft with bedroom and bathroom upstairs and living room and toilet below. It is clear that a good deal of attention was paid to the fit-out of this establishment. Whilst the building itself is quite old, the interior features modern desinger furnishings and quirky artworks. The interior atrium is the heart of the hotel. Its a lovely, light and airy place to start the day with breakfast and by night it becomes an ambient venue for dinner and/or drinks. Should you stay at the hotel on a Sunday night, don't miss the jazz trio that plays from 6 - 9pm - they're terrific. Other features are the beautifully comfortable beds, the friendly and obliging staff and the calibre of its restaurant. The hotel's location is another feature - right in the heart of the shopping and dining precinct of Auckland.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple