“Unfriendly staff and minimal bathroom facilities, too bad because great potential”
Review of City Garden Lodge

City Garden Lodge
Ranked #44 of 113 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were late with booking, so we were lucky to get a room at all, and we didn't mind the fact that we had a bunk bed. This however is no excuse for the very bad matress one of us had to sleep on; the springs were literally sticking out!
Also there were very little bathroom facilities for the amount of guests and the showerdrain wasn't working so the dirty water almost flooded the place!
The worst thing however was that we had discussed leaving our stuff in the hostel for the day. When we came to pick it up and had some lunch (our own food!), we were warned that we had to pay extra if we were staying longer and that they were always strict about this in NZ, which is not true since we had 8 weeks of travelling behind us and never had any issues with this!!!!
There are definately much nicer and friendlier hostels in Auckland (the bamber house for example)!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank KiekG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I had a great time there, after having had more than enough of the cbd!
A wonderful house with a lovely veranda to hang out.
You can also camp there or sleep in a trailer.
The owners are very laid back and friendly, the have a great fireplace in the living room, where they light a fire every night.
I liked the guests better than in the cbd, less insane( the bad insane)
The owner had no issue with me smoking on the veranda ( NOT cigarettes), which is very tolerant and cool. They take care a lot not to get the typical cbd party guests and make sure the atmosphere stays awesome.
I LOVED IT!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dave D
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

A great and homely hostel in Auckland!

Close to busstops, attraction, easy to reach, friendly staff, great kitchen, free WiFi, comfy common area and a nice garden. The showers are clean and there are plenty of them. Not noisy there at all and Ian is helping out with every kind of Information.

A place to stay long and come back!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank worldtravel16
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Came over from South Afica into the unknown and immediatly felt the warmth of the hostel,very friendly and helpful,will defiantly recommend it to anyone for a short or a very long stay.

Ryan

South Africa

Room Tip: Anywhere will be perfect
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ryan M
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

First of all I would just like to point out how much I was looking forward to staying at this hostel after reading the brilliant reviews. I arrived at the hostel and was greeted by the owner of which the first thing he said was your late...What a pleasant greeting. I was 30 minutes late due to a queue at immigration at the airport...He then said he needed to go out, gave me the key and a quick description of where my room was and left. After coming of a long haul flight and not knowing this hostel I did except him to at least show me to my room. I found my room and was immediately disappointed, it was damp, dingy and very dirty, I understand hostels are basic as you pay a lot less than a hotel but there is no excuse for cleanliness. The people in the hostel was very rude and unwelcoming I tried to make conversation and ask people where things were and they were not helpful, I understand this is not the hostels fault but still a valid point to make for other solo travelers. I have a terrible night sleep and was kept awake by noisy guests until about 2am...very frustrating. I stayed in many hostels after this one and all of them were fantastic, friendly, helpful and clean so I definitely came across a bad one here. Its a good location only 15 minutes to shops and plenty of buses, but if your traveling on your own and wanting to stay somewhere thats cosy, friendly and clean and helpful then this one isn't for you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Elle_Bmw8

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

San Jose, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I booked a female dorm and ended up in a 2 bed bunk room. The staff were very kind and helpful. There are so many common areas to hang out in, I enjoyed sampling each area. The kitchen is SO organized. It helped encourage the patrons to keep it tidy and clean. I really appreciated the sharing atmosphere. The first morning, I was so thankful to have access to a nice big, hot cup of tea with milk and sugar :) The location is in a lovely, trendy, yet quiet neighborhood. Easy access to Downtown, the museum, farmer's markets, the ocean, and even the mall.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Minnesota
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is a nice change from traditional youth hostels for backpackers. It's a huge old house with character. I paid to have my own room (about 50 dollars) but there are dorm rooms. There is a kitchen, eating areas, reading room, and computers for email. Shared bathrooms. Good location, just a twenty-minute walk to the city center, or you can walk down to Parnell for shopping. Not many restaurants nearby, but most people cook anyway. Rooms could be slightly cleaner, but not bad. Hot showers. You can hear people chatting outside until 10 or 11, so not a place for people who want a really quiet place to stay. Friendly owners help with problems and advice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo