“Great place to stay in Parnell!”
Review of City Garden Lodge

City Garden Lodge
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We're a couple in our 20s and we stayed here for four nights in total...

Good
- It's just up the road from Lantana Lodge, which is owned by the same guy, but this place is better. The communal area is much larger, he'd just bought new couches and the lounge was very comfy
- The building itself is an old mansion house, converted into a hostel. Lots of character!
- Free wi-fi
- Kitchen, whilst being very small, is fully stocked and you get free tea and coffee
- The manager is such a lovely dude, he'll give you loads of help if you ask!

Bad
- Very little. The beds had clearly quite cheap mattresses but it didn't bother me. The only issue is that the reception isn't staffed during lunch hours, so you have to call them and they'll walk up from Lantana Lodge to help you.

I'd recommend Parnell as a place to stay in Auckland. It's a beautiful little suburb with a great high street, lots of independent coffee shops and restaurants and pubs and bars. SO much better than Auckland town centre, and it's only 10mins up the road by bus.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for City Garden Lodge

Reviewed 19 June 2013

we stayed there at the beginning and at the end of our trip to NZ and we liked it.

even though we arrived in the middle of the night Ian had put out the key into the mailbox for us and we could go to our rooms without problem.

we stayed in a double room on both occasions and it was no luxury, but ok (we had worse in NZ for the same money).

the other guests were nice and the bathrooms and the kitchen were useable, but a little bit crowded at peak time.

the best thing about CGL is the location. Parnell is quite a nice spot in Auckland, the large garden and the terrace are lovely when the weather is nice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Id like to give it 3.5 stars really, 3 is too little but 4 maybe too much...

First things first, internet in NZ is utter sh1t. Get used to it!!!! 99% of the time you have to pay for it, there is a massive 24 hour net cafe on Queen Street near the cinema and near a very nicely priced chinese cafe! This for me was probably the thing I didnt like so much about the hostel, Parnell is a lovely location but shuts down at 9pm and the nearest supermarket is a good hike or bus ride away. And its not the cheaper of supermarkets either. Its also quite a pricey neighbourhood too. Queen Street was a good 25-30 minute walk, steep up hill in one part. Will get you fit! Auckland is very safe at night, we walked back late at night often.

The hostel I believe is new for the owners, but from my experience they really went the extra mile for their guests. Raj drove us into town one night when it was raining and our taxi failed to show. They gave us free net and gave us the discount rate as we stayed about a week. I really cannot fault these guys, they were so friendly and helpful.

The hostel does need a bit of work, I guess if you dont complain to the owner they may not be aware of something. The showers for me were an issue, either freezing cold or scaulding hot. The place was kept very clean, cleaning done twice a day. The kitchen can be a bit crammed with 4 people in there, I never found it a big issue really. The fridge was full often but Raj seemed to be getting on top of that when I was there and it was not so bad after. The kitchen is supposed to be shut at 10pm but never was when I was there. I never found the common areas to be full either. One of the few gripes I had was there is only 1 power socket near the tables in the common room, I prefer using my laptop on a table, there is a big multi plug by the sofas in the other room so not an issue there. Lots of books to swap too.

Our room was ok, was not too shabby but nothing amazing, bed had an issue with a spring which we told Raj about and we just flipped the materess and it was fine. Our room was upstairs in the middle so we had 3 walls that people walked past so we could not sleep past 07.30am. Not an issue for us but if you are a light sleeper avoid this room. The room was clean though.

The atmosphere here was pretty good. I dont typically comment on this as we travel as a couple but we chatted to some nice people here and there was always groups of people getting together for drinks or games or something. Seemed there was quite a few solo travellers about.

For the price, I would recomend this hostel. Its not the best hostel I have stayed in, but NZ is not cheap and this is a very competitively priced hostel in a reasonable location, and for us we could not fault the service we were given. Parking is a nightmare though, yes there is drive space but it is very limited. You can park in the street but you may end up 100s of meters away.

Room Tip: We had the middle upstairs room, had 3 walls exposed to hallway, noisy in the morning as it is an ol...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WookieTraveler
Reviewed 13 May 2013

City Garden Lodge is a cool little hostel 15 minutes walking outside of the center of Auckland. Helpful staff, Raj is a cool guy who wants to make sure his guests have an enjoyable stay. He gave us a discount on our twin room, because we had been ringing hostels all day and haven't had luck until we reached Raj. Everything is clean, maybe the kitchen is a bit small but it makes for funny interaction whilst cooking.
There's not much more to say really. If you have a tent , ask Raj or his Mrs if you can set up your tent in the garden, it's probably the cheapest stay (apart from couchsurfing of course) you can get in Auckland!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joris V
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Ended up here twice but would not seek it out. The benefits are free on-street parking and very limited parking in a small driveway on site, and a 500mb wifi voucher when you first arrive. The kitchen is extremely tiny and difficult to navigate if more than two people in there. There are a few tables outside of the kitchen and a fairly large lounge with couches. There are picnic tables outside. There are no lockers in the dorms and there are also a few caravans on site and space for 2 tents. The neighborhood Parnell is very quiet with nothing going on at night, even a Saturday night. It is about a half hour walk into the main city. There should also be more toilets and showers for the amount of people staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GreenTravelGirl
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I went as a backpacker to this wonderful lodge. There are many, many reasons to stay here: if you are on a budget; if you want to meet other travelers of all ages; if you want to cook your own food; if you want to be close to downtown without being downtown... The owners, Raj and his wife Simi live on the property and are lovely and accommodating hosts. I love this place and will come back if I am in NZ again.

Room Tip: Dorms are for those who sleep easily with others coming and going. If not, ask for a shared room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2013

After travelling two months in NZ arriving here for the final stop was a bitter disappointment. The room was tiny and shabby, the kitchen was filthy and so small no more the 2-3 people could cook there at one time. The common area was fairly spacious but had only 2 sofas, so these were usually taken and the only place i could be was in my tiny run down room. Of course there was no DVD lounge and only a pathetic excuse for a common room. The sheets looked like they hadn't been washed for a millenia, and they close the kitchen at 22:00.
The only positive thing I can say about it is that there is free parking on the street.
In short, unless you are used to the standard of hostels in India, I would stay well away from this hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013