“Nice stay despite some obnoxious guests”
Review of City Garden Lodge

City Garden Lodge
Reviewed 25 July 2009

I stayed at this backpackers-type hostel July 2-4 2009.
I had a private single, compact room. It had a plug-in heater, large windows to open, a comfortable bed, a small desk, and a nightstand with alarm clock.
I arrived at 1:05pm. Thought I’d be waiting around since the office is closed from 1-4pm but Ian saw me sitting there just after 2:00 & very kindly checked me in. (Very cool after flying overnight from Los Angeles)
My one personal gripe that I shared with Ian was that my room was located in the back near the pay-per-use Internet computers. Even though I was given a key to lock off access to that pay computer area, I mentioned how they ought to put a sign on the door of that guest room so others would know & respect that it’s a room. I put up the closed sign but apparently didn’t lock the doors correctly. People pushed through to use the computers and talk/laugh at various volumes all through the night.
I didn’t go upstairs and used only the showers & toilets on the ground floor. There was 1 room with 2 shower stalls & 1 separate bathroom with 2 toilet stalls and 1 sink.
Nice kitchen to prepare foods and a dining room with plenty of tables to eat & chat with others. Also a separate gathering room with a comfy fireplace. Couches & tables in that gathering room were where guests used laptops & pay-per-use wireless access.
Though located outside the city centre area, it was easy to go to downtown/city centre area. (CBD) Leaving hotel, walk to the left & up the hill, then cross the street--there’s a Link Bus stop in front of the butcher shop. (Convenient to take & get dropped off next to Intercity/Newmans bus station.) When you return from the CBD, it drops you off across the street from the butcher shop. You can also walk to CBD with the SkyTower as a guide. From butcher shop, go downhill through Parnell shop area, up & through Albert Park and down other side of Albert Park. 30+ minutes.
This is a backpacker’s type hostel. People wanting to spend little money and/or meet lots of other travelers stay here. You have to have a sharing/opened mind. There will always be those who talk loudly in/outside their rooms, cook all kinds of foods, walk around like they weigh hundreds of pounds, get cheery as they watch TV, etc.
Despite my personal issue with the coin-operated computer room, I’d stay here again. Reliable/helpful email communication before my arrival & the location of the hostel, and the great atmosphere of mostly cool people/travelers made for a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank funnychap24

Reviewed 4 June 2009

My daughter and I stayed for two nights this past May. Our room was okay for the money, but pretty old and needing some refreshing. My daughter had an potty accident one night. I pulled the sheets off the bed intending to wash them, but they told me they would remake the bed. This never happened and I was charged for mattress on my credit card. This mattress seemed as old as the hills and I was shocked to see a charge. By the time I was done paying for a grungy room with no sheets, I could have stayed at a nice B-n-B. Bummer!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank satchm0
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We stayed in one of the double rooms upstairs which was quite quiet at night. The room was quite comfortable enough, but you knew that you were in an old building and it did feel a bit damp.

Bathrooms were kept clean, had to queue for a shower once - nobody wanted to use the ones with only curtains and no doors (mixed sex shower rooms). The kitchen was a bit small for the hostel, although quite manageable and well set up. Unfortunately some of our food was stolen.

The living area felt quite warm and friendly.

There was no off street parking. We felt lucky to find a spot on the street. An easy bus ride or a good walk into town.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne72Leeds
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I agree with pretty much everything said below in the previous reviews. The hostel is located in the charming neighborhood of Parnell, with lots of shops and cafes. It is a 25 minute walk to the city center, but I would not have wanted to stay in the busy downtown area in any case. The hostel is a 10 minute walk to the Domain, which houses a great museum and plenty of green fields for sports and jogging.

The small rooms are adequate, but jumbled quite close together so that you will be able to hear any noisy/inconsiderate neighbors you might have (which we did). Luckily, it is nothing 8 hours of jet lag and a good pair of earplugs won't fix.

The only thing I would add is that the office closes around mid-day (11 or noon, can't quite recall) and does not open again until 4pm. Be aware that f your flight arrives between these hours, you will have to pass the time by either strolling around the neighborhood, or sleeping on the couch in the lounge (as I did) before you can access your room.

There is a shuttle that runs between the airport and the hostel (and back again) - the price per person drops the more people you have, so round up as many backpackers as you can going to or from the airport for better rates.

I can definitely recommend it as a backpacker's hostel, especially if you are just arriving in NZ and need to rest and recover.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crickett28
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Loved this hostel and its neighbourhood, Parnell. Plenty of lovely cafes and restaurants. Not too central but walking distance to the CBD, or a few minutes by bus.

The only hostel I have stayed in Auckland where you can get a good night sleep

Office hours are a bit limiting but as long as you get there at a decent time you should be OK.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Maria_GirlTraveller
Reviewed 10 February 2009

Only stayed one night; place seemed pretty good BUT we arrived late (by arrangement) and they left the room key out for us. One problem: it was the key to the wrong room; ended up sleeping on the couch. Girl very apologetic next day (so they should be), but then insisted I pay a $20 key deposit, so I could open the room and leave our bags there (while we went into town to do other things). Upon leaving bags in the room, I noted the twin room was VERY small. She also said that we had to be out (as per usual for anyone else) by 10 am (ignored this and left well after this). Upon leaving, the girl running the office indicated clearly that she thought we'd be done a favour by not being charged for the room!!

I expect this was probably just a one-off incident, and otherwise seemed a good place, so wouldn't really discourage others from staying there.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank darkstar9999
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here in August 2008. It was our second experience of staying in hostels and we were extremely impressed with it. Infact having stayed in more than 15 other hostels since then, this has been hard to beat!

The hostel is a large house set in pretty side street. It is not the closest hostel to the city but is in easy access to public transport. Or you can walk 20 minutes up and down the steep streets!

Inside the hostel it has a very homely feel, there is a large lounge area with a wood burning fire that makes it very cosy. You can take advantage of the plentiful games on offer or just curl up with a good book.

The kitchen is clean and tidy and although at first glance appears reasonably small it works well. We were impressed with the 'free foods' available, a selection of rice, pasta, oats and a vast array of sauces, spices and other condiments. Tea and coffee freely available also.

We had a double room, this was a good size and we were given fresh towels and even treated with hot water bottles.

The toilets and showers were clean and although the toilet was slightly cramped, they were to a good strandard.

There is plenty of washing machines and dryers to use, soap and change is given at reception.

We found City Garden lodge to be a relaxing, warm and cosy place to soak up what is on offer in Auckland. It's also really good value for money!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JandNT