“As Good As Before” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney
“As Good As Before”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Mollies having changed ownership over a year ago I was skeptical of... It is now a upscale B&B and not as much a full on hotel as it used to be (with daily round restaurant and spa) but it still stands very high in my opinion. Rooms are as good as ever, beds & linen gorgeous and service just so wonderful. With a focus on personal attention, they are still doing a great job here. Located in fantastic Herne Bay, its also a delightful place to take a walk, particularly to Point Erin Park and nearby Ponsonby. Just love this place.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank becinsydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I fell in love with New Zealand from the minute I landed in Auckland. My time in this beautiful country, with its friendly and lovely people, was all too short. My last night was spent in Mollies. From the moment my partner and I entered its doors, to our departure, I felt welcomed and at home. The rooms are beyond beautiful and the Staff! WOW! Each member of the team was spirited, kind, and incredibly warm and giving. The bar and restaurant are a dream. The rooms are gorgeously fitted, elegant, and cozy. I can go on and on. Let's just say, for me, Mollies has set the standard. The bar is very very high now that I know what true elegance and luxury is. I can't recommend this bit of paradise enough with big hugs to Anastasia who made my our all too brief time there so very very special.

Room Tip: My room was lovely! I look forward to trying all of them! We had a nice patio to a quiet street an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tyronemansfield
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Of course I have not visited every hotel in New Zealand so my title is absolutely ridiculous, however, if I had to stay anywhere in New Zealand, I would absolutely stay at Mollies.

When I arrived, I was tired. Exhausted. The woman at check in not only found a room for me (I arrived about three hours prior to check in) but also gave me a complimentary room upgrade as if it were no big deal. My bags disappeared before I even knew what had happened. If I were worried that someone might want anything in my bags, I would have been rather fearful they had been nicked!

I was then escorted to my lovely room upstairs. I couldn't believe how spectacular it was. It consisted of a large living room with a loft bedroom, and an attached master bedroom with a bath and walk in closet. Need I mention that there were two balconies, one with a view of the beautiful garden, and one of downtown Auckland. Oh, and a working fireplace.

The bathroom was wonderful. Large and marble - but modern. The shower was heavenly and the shower head made my day livable. The floors were heated but not to the point of pain as is so often the case.

But I am forgetting the most important aspect of Mollies. I have never, ever slept in a more comfortable bed. I am including my bed at home. It felt like sleeping on a cloud. It was bliss. I promptly fell asleep.

Breakfast the next morning was tasty. The menu was fresh and fabulous. And when I wanted to make an adjustment to an item, it was done without fuss and without complaint. Perfect.

The only small negative I can even think of is that the air conditioning was rather loud. It could be replaced. Oh, and the fact that I had to leave after only one night was also rather upsetting. I wish I could have stayed at Mollies for many many more nights of utter bedly bliss.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Charles R
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

This hotel is everything you would expect from a luxury boutique hotel. We even had a grand piano in our sitting room!!!!, wish I could play it!!!! The hotel is festooned with interesting artwork, a lovely garden and beautiful decor. Coffee and tea making facilities with complimentary biscuits, homemade. The owners run the hotel and are extremely friendly. The food is lovely too. we had a midweek special rate which makes it very affordable and breakfast was included. It is an easy 20 minute stroll downhill to the city and a quick walk to the local boutiques in Ponsonby. It is quite as it is in suburbia but just lovely. Highly recommended. We will definitely stay at Mollies on our next visit to Auckland.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LorriePerth
London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed at Mollies over Easter Weekend at the end of holiday.
From Nastajia's never ending smile and helpfulness, Kevin's choices of wine to accompany chefs cooking and Benoire's excellent cappacino, relaxing from beginning to end. Joanna's team made our stay perfect for the end of a long trip. Service rather than conference facilities make hotel.
10$ taxi ride from city centre and the so called 5 star hotels, or 10 minutes to the cafes of Ponsonby.
Great place to stay for peace and relaxation, honestly can't think of a negative.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TonyMLondonUK
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

Mollies delivers a mixed experience, beautiful dining and bar area with excellent food. Great quiet location and interesting artwork and decoration in the public areas. However a 5 star experience depends upon standards set by management and the friendliness of the staff and this where Mollies fails to deliver.
Under new management its appears this once proud hotel has become a hobby rather than a 5 star hotel based upon excellence in service and hospitality . The service was inconsistent and on some occasions down right dismissive.
Our suite was in need a refurbishment with sub standard fixtures, broken tiles and dated technology . The bedroom was way too small for a suite and bed linen was not changed during our 2 day stay.
It appeared the owners family was in residence and we had a sense of being unwanted guests in someones private home.
Management sets the standards and this management team clearly lacks the experience to justify the prices and star rating.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank davidh145
Ajijic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Mollies is now under new ownership, however it remains a very pleasant place to stay in up and coming Ponsonby in central Auckland. My room was comfortable but small considering the price. Bathrooms are well equipped. Wifi is included. The breakfasts are delicious and the dinner menu looked interesting. The dining room is very attractive. There is a small workout room and I believe a very good spa although I did not use it. There are many cafes and restaurants about a 10 minute walk away. Access to the Harbour Bridge, Motorway and downtown Auckland are a few minutes away by car. Parking is available. Altogether a good place to stay but ask for a larger room if possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo