“Quest on Eden”
Review of Quest on Eden

Quest on Eden
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Booked in a family visiting NZ (one of the parents on a business trip, so famly came along too). They stayed one night and I had to find them alternative accommodation. 2 bedroomed apartment was dirty, smelly and unsuitable for young children to stay. Very disappointed.

Had another visitor staying here at the same time, she reported that the room, although clean, had obviously had smokers in it and so stunk.

I will not be booking any more business travellers here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 November 2012

On arrival there was no key left for us. The very grumpy manager came down to let us in. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There were 4 of us for 4 days. The only servicing was clean towels and emptying the rubbish bin. No cleaning of floors. We asked to have teabags and coffee replenished and were informed what you get at checkin was all there was unless you wanted to pay regardless of how long you stay! The same goes for dishwasher and washing machine powder and dish washing liquid. The manager and receptionist were having a shouting match as we passed the office so they slammed the slide shut. Not a place I would go back to or recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Philippa110
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this accomodation in a one bedroom apartment. First the good news - the staff here are very friendly and were happy to assist with all requests. The apartment was clean and I think may have had some upgrading as the carpets, curtains, bedding etc appear to be quite new. It is also good to have a second TV in the bedroom. The accomodation is also pretty handy for everything that Auckland has to offer. On the down side there were a few 'housekeeping' issues such as a bedside lamp in the bedroom not working, (this was not fixed after being reported), a dishwasher that was missing its racking components (these were replaced after reporting) and a frustrating lack of some utensils (bottle opener). However, perhaps my biggest issue with this accomodation is the lack of air conditioning. The apartment was extremely warm in the afternoons - heaven knows what it would be like in the summer. As has been mentioned by other reviewers, the property is at the top of a steep hill which might be an issue for less agile travellers. Also be aware that the breakfast choice at the cafe round the corner is limited to a small selection and does not include any tea/coffee.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at Quest on Eden to go to a concert middle of July 2012 - we found it excellent, nice and close and the price was very affordable - walking distance to vector arena. loved the bedroom being seperate and had a washing machine and dryer and a dishwasher. The carpark was a bit dodgy getting in and out but small price to pay.

I don't know why the bad reviews we stayed at another place at the bottom of Queen street a year ago that was terrible - twice the price of here and very small and everyone was rude - Quest on Eden was very friendly, professional and clean

Won't hesitate to go back!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 7th floor to get a good view and also on the vector arena side to get the harbour...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed four nights at the end of April 2012 and cannot fault this welcoming, clean and hospitable place to stay in the heart of Auckland. When I booked I made my hope for a quiet room (some parts of Auckland can be dreadfully noisy) as I'm a light sleeper. I was given a lovely sea view room on a top floor and spent a lovely 4 days. Will certainly return to "Quest on Eden" and encourage others to stay. Quiet location limits traffic noise and not located in 'party central'.

Erica ( Room 8G)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Erica S
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I saw various reviews for this place some of which were fairly bad but others okay. After staying there for a week I side with the fairly bad ones. Firstly, the good bits. The room was nice - a good size and big windows and reasonably clean. However, it was mostly downhill after that. The room was serviced every 2 days which was a somewhat odd schedule but still acceptable except that they didn't replace anything that was used. You got one lot and no matter how long the stay you had to make do. They took one of my wash cloths the first day and a hand towel at the second service and didn't replace either. they also didn't clean the toilet. I used the dishwasher soap the first evening and it wasn't replaced. When I asked for more at reception I was told that additional supplies could be purchased. At $130/night + a parking charge of $15/night you would think that they could run to 20 cents worth of dishwasher soap. The same policy applies to soap powder for the washing machine and bathroom supplies. The cupboards contained little in the way of cook ware. Only 2 tiny saucepans and no coffee maker. I guess the latter explains why there was no coffee either. All in all they seem to be disregarding the small things that actually matter during an extended stay. I am in Auckland for 2 weeks every 2 months and given that there are several other better equipped Quests in the city, I won't be using this one again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane E
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Back in July last year, we were sucessful in obtaining tickets to the Pink Floyd Concert for February this year. Immediately after securing the tickets our group booked apartments at the Quest on Eden for the night of the concert. I had booked a two bedroom apartment for my husband and I as well as for another couple. My other work colleagues booked 3 separate apartments for themselves. With tickets and accomodation booked we thought all was in place for our "night away" This is where I need to say that my friends and ourselves have used Quest apartements through out the North Island on a regular basis and till now never had any problems, infact always had touble free and enjoyable visits.

On arriving at The Quest on Eden, after travelling from Rotorua we were told that our apartment booking had been cancelled on the 18th January by a woman. That was news to us. We asked why we were not notified by email regarding our booking being cancelled to be told it was not their policy to follow up cancellations with email. Firstly none of our party had cancelled our booking why would we - we had tickets for a concert!!!! Secondly we had checked the week before if parking was available for our car and it was then we were told that parking was indeed available and what sort of bedding configuration did we want in our apartment. So in our minds our booking was still in place on the 13th February. So god knows where he invented the apartment cancellation on the 18th January. The manager was rude and arrogant, telling us that we had cancelled the booking and that our booking and dates of checking didn't mean much to him as it was not his apartment policy to use the web site booking numbers or email communication. Something just didn't seem right at all and we feel that they either doubled booked or got a better price as there was many people wanting accomodation because of the Pink Floyd Concert.

We did manage to get another apartment booking, with the grumpy manager's help, at the Quest Albany for the night. This apartment was goregeous and the owner was wonderful and understanding of our plight and did everything he could to make our stay comfortable. The only thing was it was so far out of Auckland city that instead of enjoying a relaxing meal with our other friends we spent most of the time stuck in rush hour traffic. This also added extra expenses for us petrol for 2 extra trips to Albany and the other apartment cost more even when discounted.

After this experience we will now no longer trust the Quest Serviced Apartment Online booking site. Infact our next get away to the South Island this month has been booked with accomodations other than the Quest. We have double checked these bookings and have been assured that all is in place.

Room Tip: Getting your actual booking recognised might be helpful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends