“Never again”

Quest on Eden
Ranked #65 of 108 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
“Never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as it looked amazing online. Got to the place to be told no parking, supposedly to get parking you had to state that in the comments when booking- be a mind reader in other words. My credit card was charged in full on arrival which I was not informed of and when I went down to dispute it as I was only paying for half the room the woman at reception was very rude. The room was horrible, on the bed that I was in the sheets didn't even fit properly. The only good thing about this hotel is that it's close to vector. I will never stay in a quest again after this experience and I suggest you don't either.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Nicole2365

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I visit Auckland at least one a year and for the past many years have stayed at the Copthorne Hotel on Anzac Ave. This time they were full, so I booked Quest on Eden on the recommendation of a local friend. It was great... much nicer than a regular old hotel room, and cheaper to boot (we paid NZ$110 a night). The room was bright and airy, very clean and with a nice cosy feel to it; we were given a harbor view and a nice balcony. The room came with a good shower, a kitchenette, fridge and washer/dryer (all worked fine).

Staff were very friendly and helpful. And the location - right below the University and a very short walk from the middle of the Central Business District - was perfect. Eden Crescent is quiet relative to Anzac Avenue, which was another bonus.

Given the location and the ability to cook for oneself as well as do a free clothes wash during your stay, this is way better than a regular hotel. I know where we're staying from now on!

Room Tip: See if they'll upgrade you to a harbor view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Napier, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

I found them on Wotif and liked that they were close to where I was going [Vector Arena] and offered carparking [$15 a night]. Because I couldn't book and confirm parking through Wotif, I rang Quest direct [central call centre]. They confirmed I was guaranteed parking if I booked then and I was charged $130 for a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 single beds.

Check in was easy and they had upgraded us to a 2 bedroom apartment for free.

Very pleased with the apartment too, huge super king in 1 room and a queen in the 2nd. You could easily stay there for an extended period.

To address a couple of complaints others have made.

I found the 2 people we dealt with to be polite and helpful. They might be Eastern European or Russian and to the uninitiated, their accent may appear clipped and rude to some ears.

The smell out by the elevators is stale cigarette smoke. There is a no smoking policy in the rooms and guests and permanents might be smoking in the hallway.

Small parking spaces. That is true, I had space 11 right beside the wall and requiring a swerve around a pole in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. With a bit of care it was no drama getting in and out, just had my son get in/out before I got into/out of the space.

Would recommend this place and would stay there again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank waynejameswright
Cambridge, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

First off I'd like to say I've stayed at the Quest apartmetns a couple of times and have really enjoyed my experience with them. They have always been friendly and helpful and their rooms are great! I assumed I would receive the same service when I booked at Quest on Eden for our 1st wedding anniversary, I was wrong.

When we checked in on Friday we were greeted by a very friendly helpful receptionist (it was a great start). However, this was the last time we were to speak to a friendly helpful staff member. The room we were given was adequate but not to the same standard as Quest on Mount. We found the shower was moldy, the rooms hadn't been cleaned properly, coffee mugs were stained, "white" towels were gray, and basically a general lack of TLC. Also there was a horrible damp moldy smell outside the lifts which made it's way into our room every time we opened the door.

During our second day, we decided we didn't need to have our room serviced, we only needed clean towels. So my husband approached the service desk to request this and was told in no uncertain terms that all rooms have to be serviced daily no matter what. My husband found her quite rude and abrupt as all we wanted was clean towels for the day. When we returned that afternoon our room had been serviced but aside from clean towels, an empty rubbish bin and the bed made (instead of pulled up like we had left it) I couldn't see what the big deal was about having to have the room serviced.

As my husband recently had an operation on his nose and the smell of the foyer was affecting his breathing we decided to check out earlier than we expected (we had requested a late checkout). I approached the reception desk to pay our account and check out only to find the account had already been paid. I found this very disconcerting as I had not approved the credit card transaction and concerns me that as they now have my credit card details they could charge anything they liked to my account. My husband mentioned the horrible smell in the 9th floor foyer only to be told we didn't sleep in there so it doesn't matter. This comment made me extremely angry and I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. If the smell affected my husbands health after only 2 days, what could it be doing to longer term customers?

Will never stay there again. Have emailed Head Office to complain and received a response from the CEO within 5 minutes of hitting sent. They are investigating.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gemini-trace

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My partner and I thought we'd splash out on something a bit fancy for a concert I've been looking forward to for years. Unfortunately, we chose poorly. While initially the staff seemed pleasant and accommodating, all that disappeared as soon as we were actually in the room. There was mould or staining on every surface, the appliances were covered in rust, the drawers were full of dirt, and the 'white' towels (which, if soiled, must be purchased) were an alarming shade of grey. Still, we were only there to sleep. Or, you know, so we thought. Turns out the washing machine didn't work, and so at midnight I was picking wet, soapy washing out of the machine. Unable to rinse it properly, we had to put it straight in the dryer, and leave the dryer going all night, which ruined both the clothes and our night's sleep.

In the morning, I visited reception to complain, and the manager was sarcastic, dismissive, and downright odious. In front of another guest, he refused even to apologise for our discomfort, saying that we should be grateful as we had already received a "discount" ($180/night?), and that when I "touched his age", I would discover that there were "many worse things that happen". I hope his voyage of discovery continues to be long and fruitful.

The happy ending is that we took our complaint to Quest's nearby corporate offices, and spoke with the lovely Franchise Director there, who found us a new room in a packed city faster than we could find a cup of coffee. We're still with Quest (at Carlaw Park, where the manager greeted us personally), and would recommend them in general. Just be aware that it's a franchise, and that not all franchisees are created equal.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt P
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Booked in a family visiting NZ (one of the parents on a business trip, so famly came along too). They stayed one night and I had to find them alternative accommodation. 2 bedroomed apartment was dirty, smelly and unsuitable for young children to stay. Very disappointed.

Had another visitor staying here at the same time, she reported that the room, although clean, had obviously had smokers in it and so stunk.

I will not be booking any more business travellers here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

On arrival there was no key left for us. The very grumpy manager came down to let us in. The rooms were clean and comfortable. There were 4 of us for 4 days. The only servicing was clean towels and emptying the rubbish bin. No cleaning of floors. We asked to have teabags and coffee replenished and were informed what you get at checkin was all there was unless you wanted to pay regardless of how long you stay! The same goes for dishwasher and washing machine powder and dish washing liquid. The manager and receptionist were having a shouting match as we passed the office so they slammed the slide shut. Not a place I would go back to or recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business