“NOT a 4 star!!!!”

Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Ranked #33 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 9 November 2012

The reception people have an attitude, not caring and friendly. I would suggest this feeds down from management after overhearing an unprofessional conversation.
The reception desk is not particularly tidy and free of clutter.

TO THE ROOM: The bed is very low-like a futon. On inspection of the mattress it is ancient-very old! no excuses for this. The bed has one thin wool blanket, and checking the cupboards-there are no others in the room. At midnight, I need to phone the reception and ask Where is the duvet? to which the reply is we don't keep those in the room-why not? Is your customers comfort not your priority-after all, they are sleeping over.

I booked my hotel through last minute. The price was $102, by the time I got to booking confirmation it was $134 (seems $102 was in ozzie $$, and there was a $5 booking fee). Now I read the information carefully which mentioned they have parking.

But when I arrive and ask for my car to be parked-Im told it is $30 on top of my room rate, and that info is ON the website. Well NO it is not on last minute.

That brings the cost to $160. OK, if the room is nice, the bed comfortable, staff professional and the hotel has considered their customers comfort. However, this was not the case.

LOW budget accommodation. As one would expect from 1-2 stars.

(A lot of traffic noise)

Not one of the staff smiled!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Courtney C

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Arrived for a show in Auckland at 6pm. If I wasn't late for the show I would have left the hotel right after first walking into the room but I did not have the time. The bathroom was tiny and impossible to move around in. The shower hardly extended to shoulder height. It was also dirty. The plug for the bath leaked so my wife couldn't even enjoy a tiny bath. The walls were stained, nearly every tile on the bathroom floor was chipped or broken. My computer screen on my laptop is bigger than the TV, the walls are paper thin so I can hear whoever is having an argument with their partner next door, the couches are grubby and the cupboard space reminds me of an old broom cupboard. I stay in many hotels every year and I will never come back to this dump. I will also make a point of telling everyone that I know how bad this place is. We were going to stay here for two nights but I have already booked another hotel for the second night in Auckland. Pathetic! This is 2012 people. Shape up or bugger off.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theodore L
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I recently stayed here for 1 night on arrival into Auckland and although it is very basic, if you were staying for a few nights it is a good hotel for self-catering. It is quite basic, but clean. However, if you want to be in the centre of Auckland, I would recommend booking a different hotel as it is in a difficult location (walking under the carriage way) and there are alternatives in a much more central location.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I had read all the reviews for this place and took a chance by booking it as it had mixed reviews but there was a very good deal on offer...so why not!. I was pleasantly surprised and happy with my decision to stay at the grand chancellor as it was value for money. The room justified the price that I had paid and the staff were very accommodating and helpful. They desk was very busy on Sunday morning due to a drunkard hassling the staff but it was dealt with by the staff professionally. The room although a bit tired was adequate and spacious and had good kitchen facilities. The location is perfect for a night out in town. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up in the building if you want a good view. Fanshawe Street facing rooms are be...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I recently stayed for 8 days on business in a 1 bedroom apartment. Let me start by saying this hotel is tired and in need of a major refurbishment. This is evident, not just in the apartment, but in the lobby and the restaurant.
There was no blanket on the bed and no spare blankets or pillows in the wardrobe. No compendium in the room and no room service menu. When I rang and asked for a menu I was told that there currently isn't one as they're updating the menu and it won't be available for "many weeks". I asked if they could make me something gluten free and was told that there was nothing gluten free in the entire kitchen. Very frustrating as I chose this hotel because of it's 24 hour room service claim and because I am a single female and don't want to be out walking the city by myself in the dark looking for gluten free food.

The apartment was adequate but tired looking and very bland. The sofa was old and sagging. The tv screens were the size of laptop screens (seriously!). The tiles in the bathroom floor were cracked and the shower (over bath) was very, very small. I am a 5'7 small female and I barely fitted in the shower/bath. The shower nozzle is also very low down the wall meaning I had to bend down to wash my hair under it. I have no idea how taller people would manage.

The reception staff were generally helpful. The restaurant staff were sullen and didn't seem to want to be there.

The windows aren't double glazed and street noise was audible at night. The balcony door had no way of latching it back and, if open, would bang in the wind. There were no available power points at the desk for me to plug in my laptop unless I removed the power for the desk lamp or the tv. The hotel advertising promises complimentary newspapers but if you aren't at reception by 8 am to collect one they're all gone.

All up I won't be returning to the Hotel Grand Chancellor, Auckland has too many good hotels to waste time retuning to the not so good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mieux2002
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This place is offered cheap and there is a reason. The building is really badly put together - we inspected a room which was cheap and clean but we noticed that even though the place is pretty new, tiles in the bathroom were badly cracked and the wall linings were kind of coming away in places. whoever cleaned the joint had emptied half a can of Glen 20 in there and although it was clean - it stank. Really nice guys on reception but a pretty bodgy place. Parking is $30 per day. Better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Might be OK if you want a three bedroom apartment
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gotoday1
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The staff did not really present as friendly – it seemed that they didn’t really want to be there – just going through the motions of the day!!
The room was OK. Bed was that low it was almost like sleeping on the floor! For a suite that was supposed to be fully self-contained – it wasn’t. Went through the kitchenette draws, found an egg flip but no fry pan – when I asked reception, they gave me a flat wide saucepan with lid and said it was the best they could do! The fridge was that full of mini bar products, I had to empty it to fit my food in there!!
The TVs in the room don’t match the advertising at all!! Little tiny things, attached to the wall, with no swivel. When you sat on the lounge, you had to twist yourself about 45 degrees to see the TV. The one in the bedroom was not much better!!
The noise from the early morning peak hour traffic was a rude awakening each morning!
The bathroom was functional, although the position of the toilet roll holder left a lot to be desired!! To dam close to your elbow nd I nearly put my back out trying to negotiate the use of the roll!!! Floor tiles need to be replaced – the door looks like it has has sucked up too much moisture (fuzzy edges and all!)
Oh and I can’t forget the curtains!! I had to use a dining chair in the lounge and the bedroom to KEEP the curtains closed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple