“Handy Location, Huge Room Differences”

Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Auckland
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Handy Location, Huge Room Differences”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed 2 nights for a meeting/conference; my first room was on the 3rd floor (305), and was very disappointing (it looked out onto a car park across the road, it was dark with poor lighting, basic with a low shower head over the bath & low ceiling height; totally lacking any "warmth"). I later learnt the rooms on the first 3 floors are budget rooms.

The next morning I asked to move to a quieter room as the road noise made it very hard to sleep (I had to sleep with the single window closed and the air con on). I was upgraded at no extra cost to a one-bedroom apartment on the 14th floor (1401); I could have been staying at a totally different hotel - the room could not have been nicer!! The bedroom was large with a separate shower, laundry facilities, iron/ironing board, full kitchen facilities, spacious lounge and large balcony with views back over the city and out to the west. While there was still a hum of traffic from 6am onwards I strongly recommend you pay the $30 or so difference and stay in one of the apartments. Others in our party stayed in the 2 and 3 bedroom apartments 1306 & 1307; these have a lot of space with magnificent views over the harbour. I had one cooked breakfast at the hotel which I could'nt eat - the food was terrible and expensive ($25 for a cooked breakfast); better to walk the 5 minutes down to the viaduct basin and eat there where the food is cheaper, much better quality and with views of the water/harbour.

We held our meetings in a long uninspiring rectangular meeting room on the ground floor. The shape and size of the room are not great and the windows face onto a busy noisey road.

The best feature of this hotel is it's central location (5 min walk to the viaduct, 10 min to Sky City and 5 min to Queens Street), and the self-contained apartments.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

Very good and is value for money. Nice and quick staff and a very clean room. Location is ideal and very close to good bars and restaurant on Viaduct. Only negative would be the expensive parking. Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

My partner and I have been coming to Auckland every year as a get away from chch for a few days . We like to be comfortable so booked a studio suite which gave us a lounge also. We booked off the wot if website online . Our plane arrived at 8.30 at night and by the time we got to the hotel it was about 9.15pm. It looked great from the outside but the inside was totally different . We walked up to the receptionist desk where he was less than enthused to help us. We gave our name - several times as he was searching for our reservation.. He couldn't find it. After 15 minutes of standing there he asked us for evidence of the booking which we downloaded on our phone from email as we had already paid. Another five minutes passed and he finally found our booking. This hefty bond came out of our account which we didn't know anything about!! We went up to our room through the smelly muggy hallways and then our key didn't work .. Tried several times a d still didn't so went back downstairs and explained it wasn't working. He said "are you sure you pushed it in?". We felt like we were being treated like children!! He re issued the card which took another 5 minute then finally we got into our room! The room is bland and basic with the layout in no way practical . The couch is faced a wall and the tele is on the other end of the wall so you have to sit diagonally to watch. Not only this but the size of the teles are like laptops. We shut the curtains... but they dont fully Close so you have a massive Gap people can see into. The balcony is really just a rail so you don't fall out the door and the mini bar which is offered in your room sells (not to be sold individually ) cans of drink for 5 bucks each! The toilet is so close to the wall you can't sit on it properly and the toilet roll holder was sitting under your armpit .. Try maneuver that! The shower was over a bath and so little that the curtain would stick to you during showers and the shower head was so low down I had to duck to get any sort of water on my head and I'm a short person! The bed was as low as an air mattress and they provide you with a sheet and a thin throw to sleep in. We had to go buy our own blanket then ask for more as what we had wasn't sufficient ! We thought we would go check out the pool see what it was like but our card wouldn't allow us in there so each time we wanted to enter that area we had to Ask reception to open the door for us . We went back upstairs and thought we would order dinner off the 24 hour menu as we hadnt had dinner. We rung them only to be informed that the 24 hour menu doesn't start until 11pm but the dinner service has closed so effectively it was a 22 hour menu. Disappointed again we went for a late night stroll to find dinner. Throughout the Night we couldnt Sleep from the traffic, Sirens and roadside lights shining through the paper curtains. the idea of a sleep in was Thrown out the Window because of all the construction happening next door . The next day we Asked entry into the pool and went for a swim looking forward to a spa which was Ice cold and the jets were running as little as possible. We Had a swim then went to hop in the sauna to get warm which is conveniently only open between 5-10pm... We missed out again! Finally we were ordering in during the day for lunch. I got the chicken curry and rice and my partner got nachos . His nachos were cold he told us to heat it up ourselves in our microwave and had no cheese on them. My curry looked good but the rice was so hard and dry that the rice cake had glued together and I could literally tap it to make banging noises. I took it down to reception and was able to break the rice in half to show him just how crusty it was. It had obviously been microwaved too long after being left in fridge. Overall it wasn't a good stay , in fact terrible And less than relaxing. It's the first time we have been so excited to go home!

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Brookeandkell

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

new plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have already reviewed this hotel once, when staying in a twin share suite, but this time we stayed in the top floor 3bdrm apartment. We were a group of friends (mix of two couples and two singles) here for 1 night for a concert. The apartment couldn't have been better for our requirements (and for the price). Lovely views and a deck (albeit a very small deck), 3 comfortable bedrooms (note only one with ensuite, the other two rooms must share the main bathroom). All clean and tidy. Good workable kitchen with all amenities. I would highly recommend this apartment for a short to med stay and for purposes similar to ours. At $500 per night between 6 people it was a real bargain and I would book again in a heartbeat. If you were wanting a romantic night however, I think you would be disappointed as there are some signs of wear (which didn't bother us), and not what I would consider particularly romantic. Best for a group of friends or a family stay. My excellent rating is based on what we got for the very reasonable price ie; less than $100 per night per person.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during busy Xmas period unexpectedly. The staff were very nice, especially Lee who checked us in. The room was spotless and I am a tv nut so was surprised at the smaller tv but soon realized it was all you needed in that room. The hotel is walking distance to the viaduct and town and my daughter loved the swimming pools. We had breakfast at the hotel on the second day and the staff there were just as helpful. The breakfast was great and the one a la carte big breaky was enough for the both of us. It's also easy to get into with a car.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up would avoid the car park building
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Flinders
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

Stayed a this hotel for the first eek of a16 day trip to New Zealand. ound the staff to be very helpful with ny of our needsand the rooms to be of a good standard. We had 2 bedroom apartment over looking the harbour with a great view of all the yachts. Very centrally located to everything. Rooms were of a good standard and kitchens equip well eniugh to cook a meal in if thats what you are after. On all we enjoyed our sy at the Grand Chancellor Aucklad City.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Harbour. Its fantastic at night
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

This was okay, central Auckland location and only NZ$110 per night but it was very rough around the edges. Like many hotels that are part hotel, part permanent residences it has challenges. The kitchen was poorly equipped, there was no Iron or Ironing Board and an 18 inch 4x3 TV simply doesn't cut it for 4 star. Reception also understaffed with only one person during peak hour checkout.
In short good for one night if you can get it cheap (I got mine on wotif.com) but there are better options available. I'd go elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business