“Great night away”

Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed here in a one bedroom apartment on the 8th floor with 2 others.
Awesome views, tidy wee apartment with lots of things we didn't need for just one night - but nice to have (washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, big fridge, cooktop, microwave etc).
Our friend used the sofabed - she said it was comfortable for one nights sleep. The bed in the bedroom was very comfortable - I slept in to 9.45am (checkout is at 10!) because it was so quiet and comfortable!
Worked out at $100 each for the night. They took a $250 hold on my CC when we first arrived - will have to check that they've given it back in a couple of days.
Would stay again - less than 5 min walk to the viaduct/ferry terminal and 15 min walk to Vector Arena, where we went for a concert!

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront apartment if you can! Amazing views of harbour and bridge.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank emachan

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This combination residence and hotel is in a great location. We had a "suite" that was really just a large room. the staff were ordinary verging on unhelpful, except for one young lady who really knew what she was doing.It is a shame I cant remember her name.

Room Tip: Great location easy walking distance to the Viaduct.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mackozie
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in November, the location was excellent. Hotel room was clean decent, it's somewhat spacious, the view we had was really nice. Beds comfy.

There isnt really anything that makes it particularly special but the price is good and there is nothing to complain about. The best part is that it's in a great spot, really top location most of the central city is within walking distance. Would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie C
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Have just returned for a girls weekend away with my daughter.
Having looked forward to the trip for a long time i was left unsure as to how I really felt about my stay.
I had kindly been offered a room upgrade to a one bedroom city view and a wee box of choccies was to have been in the room as a treat for my girl. While I was aware an early check in couldnt be guaranteed - I was hoping for it.. Unfortunately no.Bags were kindly stored though. Thats ok but the room not being ready at 2.30 wasnt ok. and there was then a further wait while said choccies were installed in the room.

Having prebooked via the net check in seemed unnecessarily lengthy and I had to give my credit card details again. There was to be a hold placed on my card - this insulting practice is now rife in Auckland. The amount changed 3 times during check in so I have no idea what the hold was !

The room was nice and spacious. A lounge/dining/kitchen with plenty of seating and a big cupboard. The bedroom was smaller but with a huge walk in wardrobe - I'd like to take it home.

adequate bathroom and laundry. A more fuller figured person (im not a slim jim) might battle to sit comfortably on the loo - its certainly not roomy. Shower could benefit from a shelf so you dont have to hold everything

Room had a terrible stench - musty and very unpleasant. I threw open all the doors and windows hoping that would help.

My daughter was besotted with the room. Loved the space and views - and of course the choccies..

as we were out and about until after tea the stench didnt matter but it was still there when we got back.
Again all doors open

We sat down to watch some tv and could either get no reception or something very hazy.
I rang reception figuring there was a trick I needed to know.

The phone went unanswered for nearly 10 minutes. I rang the mainline from my cellphone, the internal lines and all the calls went unanswered,

I then had to go 10 floors down to reception wait in line and ask for help. Not a lot of response when I say how long I have been ringing!

i was told to push a combination of buttons. Needless to say that didnt work. Several unanswered calls later someone came to look at there. something was amiss with the aerial connection behind the tv.

we then went for a swim. the pool area would be lovely with a bit of attention paid to it. It looks tired and drab

One of the 3 pools was having its "weekly water change" for our 2 night stay .

was lovely to have a swim

Back to the room I thought i'd dry the towels on the heated towel rail. Nothing doing. Turn switch on and off and nothing

So I figure I'll use the dryer. Nothing. Washing machine nothing. Zero power to these.

Ring reception and it appears there had been a blown fuse. not caused by us!

Towards bedtime I discover the airconditioner doesnt work properly. Only seems to heat. The knob just turns around and around. My daughter had by this stage decided I was likely to be viewed as dimwit so I decided to leave it until the morning.

We head out for the day and I leave reception a note about the aircond and tell them

You'd think that would be enough to get it fixed but nope!

Come back from a day out and the stench is still evident. So I ring reception again to get the air con looked at and to ask for some airfreshner

A lovely man fixes the air con and says many of the rooms smell like that - from the air con well the musty part

Sniffing around I reckon most of the stench is from the sink/drains and he agrees as it is worse than just musty

A lady comes with cleaning stuff and does a bit sink clean. I think the product must mask the smell because when we get back from a show its as bad as it ever was.

There used to be a restaurant which no longer operates. Would be a good idea to remove reference from the in room compendium and also off the walls etc

Also having been told on 13 September 2013 that there was a bar for evening drinks (and seeing signs promoting happy hour) it was bewildering to be told on 5 October there was no bar?????

I asked for a cab to be called and it was there on time! That can be hit and miss with hotels.

Check out was fine

Overall - if my girl hadnt been so happy I would not rate this hotel very highly at all.

My girl isnt naive - we have stayed in some lovely places , and some not so lovely

She was very very pleased although did find the walk to the CBD a bit far.

as for me, the jury is still out.

The majority of staff were great. Some disinterested. a bit more care to presentation too would help

It seems there are a large number of permanently occupied apartments now and I have seen other places go down in a screaming heap once that happens

I hope that isnt the case here

The place has a lot to offer. Room would be great if everything worked and it didnt smell.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Chippie_7
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Being at the bottom of Hobson Street the Grand Chancellor is right next to the Viaduct and just a four-minute walk to Queen Street - brilliantly central, which makes it very easy for visitors to get to restaurants, shops and transport. The rooms are lovely although if you're even a little above average height, you'll have to duck to get under the shower-head.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - they are larger than those along the corridors' sides.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I was quite happy with my stay here. The property is located close to Viaduct Harbour and Sky City, just on the east edge of the CBD. The room itself was clean and had a mini-kitchenette - which is great as I went down to the local supermarket sometimes to by my own groceries.

There is car-parking available - quite affordable and great if your hiring car - rates are based on 24 hours - you can enter/exit as many times you want :).

I stayed in the one-bedroom apartment - spacious. There is also a small lounge area and a balcony.

The property has a spa and gym - although a basic gym - as most hotels generally have.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor possible facing Viaduct Harbour - great views!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my second stay here, and it was fantastic!
The service was awesome and the room was great. Location is perfect. Thanks for another great stay. Will be back!
The 1 Bedroom Suite was perfect for 2 friends sharing. Nice deck, nice view and enough space.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends