Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Heritage Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel(Auckland Central)
Rydges Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Restaurant
M Social Auckland(Auckland Central)
View Hotel
Hotel Grand Windsor(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Pool
All reviewssky towerone bedroom apartmentshort walkviaduct basincentral locationqueen streetwould stay againauckland cityharbourdishwasherwharfroomyconcert
Reviewed 20 August 2008

The Grand Chancellor is a service apartment. I don't mind service apartments, but this place reminds me of my stay at the Homewood Suites (a Hilton service apartment chain) in Miami.

The room is very basic. There is a small kitchenette. Mini fridge, two counter top burners, small dishwasher and a microwave oven.

They could have given me some hangers in the closet. I actually have no hangers.

If you stay here for any length, you will get bored easily. The TV has only a handful of channels. Nothing to write home about. It does not even have BBC Newsworld, only CNN and Sky News.

The TV itself is placed on the only desk in the room. Unfortunately, the desk is about 2 1/2 feet wide and so it is not easy to put my laptop onto the desk without pushing the TV to one corner of the desk. Internet is also wired, so that is the reason I need to use the desk for my laptop.

All in all, as a basic service apartment, this place would be ok. But because I am here on business, this hotel just does not work for me.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2008

We booked in to stay two nights - the first night we were coming straight from the airport, and advised the hotel staff that we would be arriving at approx 1am.

When we arrived, the guy at the front counter could not find our details. He had very poor customer service skills, and was not that great at english either. After about 25 minutes of him fussing about he told me that they only had one room but we would need to check out of it in the morning as it was reserved for other guests the following night!!
So basically we got to bed at about 2am after the initial mix up, then had to leave by 10am and get another room....

Anyway... this is meant to be a 4 star hotel. I wouldn't give it that, it was very cheap, with dirty white walls and shabby curtains.

Hardly anything works in the gym.

Also, the cleaning staff were hovering in the hallways constantly (but not doing any work!), and there were bags of dirty laundry sitting in doorways that were not collected for the 2 days that we were there.

Final words: DON'T STAY AT THIS PLACE.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan D
Reviewed 12 March 2008

A very average city centre hotel with s/c facilities, it provides basic amenities which are adequate for a stopover but nothing special.
The Airbus stops nearby which is handy if you are flying in or out of Auckland. Our accomodation was clean and well serviced and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rafaman
Reviewed 16 January 2008

We stayed in this apartment during our very first night in North Island. It was a horrible experience. I booked a 2-bedroom suite with "stunning views of the harbour". For the price I paid, it was certainly nowhere near what it was worth.The hotel room was so small for a 2 bedroom apartment... and the room with the 2 singles was really only designed to fit 1 single bed only..they had to cram the second single directly in front of the wardrobe, which meant no access to the wardrobe and little space for movement. Not to mention the air conditioner was broken in our room so it was quite hot and stuffy in the room and the TV remote control didn't work either (flat battery).

For $300NZ per night, I thought there would at least be pay tv.. nope.. and the balcony was very noisy as it was facing a main street. However, when we shut the glass doors, no noise could be heard, which was normally good, except that the air conditioner was not working....

The latter 2-bedroom hotels I booked afterwards which cost $100 cheaper a night than this hotel were triple times more spacious, luxurious and had stunning views of the harbour!

All I can say is that the views were the only positive thing about the hotel - other than that, it gets a thumbs down from me. Spend your money elsewhere!

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank chezay
Reviewed 28 June 2007

This hotel claims to be 4* (self-rated) but fell well short of the mark. Being a conversion from an old hotel did it no favours. The service/standard was well below par - half the room would be serviced a day, the shower is over the half sized bath and you'd have to be about 4'9 to be able to properly use it (it's really short), the television did have sky as advertised but had bad reception on all channels, the liquor licence had run out so there was no minibar or alcohol in the restaurant, the pool is really claustraphobic and they charge you for towels to use it. Bring your earplugs if you want a harbour view - it's really noisy on the harbour side from being on the main road - and I say this having lived next to the main highway for 4 years
The owners of this hotel need to take a quick trip to a real 4* and re-assess the rating - I'd suggest 3* at most after some work on the service.
The only thing that was really good about this hotel is the location which is very central so you can walk to the CBD attractions easily but for the money you could find a much nicer hotel in the same area.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business