“Not too bad”

Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel
Ranked #36 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
“Not too bad”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Got a good deal off wotif.com. The room was ok but basic . Bed wasn't that comfortable. Balcony was very small but at least we had one. Staff was friendly. Only used the pool once but it was pretty big. My highlight was the valet parking. Good location was clubbing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed early June this year for one night with my cousin. We travelled up to Auckland to buy myself a new car so we were only there for the night. I got a good rate through my company thats why we chose to stay there. Really enjoyed our stay! Beds were comfortable, great movie channel. Really clean hotel. Reception was really friendly. Thanks for the awesome stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Great Barrier Island, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family loved our stay at the Grand Chancellor Auckland Hotel. Front Desk reception was friendly, warm & helpful. Our room was spacious and very clean.. This hotel has now become our family's favorite.

Room Tip: This hotel has great accommodation for families.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were looking forward to staying here on our way back to Australia and were quite disappointed. The room was nice though nothing to write home about. The lack of internet access was frustrating, we paid for 24 hours access and the wireless still did not work. The staff claimed no responsibility as a third party provides internet service. Probably would not bother staying here again. Totally forgettable experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank geokult
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This Hotel could be amazing but was just good which is a shame as it is in a great location, has parking, a restaurant, fitness room and a great pool but unfortunately to get to the parking you have to constantly go to reception and ask to be allowed in, a fob key system would work surely? The fitness room is tired and run down with old and dated equipment at least a water cooler could be added.The pool was out of order for a day which is fine if we had been told but the cleanliness of the showers and changing rooms was not great!! damp and dated with a old smell to them, same with the pool area, again some simple fake flowers or something just to brighten the place up. The biggest disappointment was the 2 reception staff who seemed to be always working maybe thats why they were so unhappy looking, just missed that hello! welcome smile or how can I help you approach. Rooms are nice and clean and comfortable and have everything you need although the shower curtains need cleaned.As I said a shame really as this could be an amazing hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gordon c
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Service = disappointing. Front desk was not friendly upon arrival, not particularly helpful and kept talking over the top of me (a pet hate)
Rooms = poor quality, run down, old. The price certainly shows here, with threadbare linens, no lamps in the bedroom, and no remotes for the TV. I had the worst room in the hotel (room 107, right outside the elevators, right above the road).
Value = don't get me wrong, I got this room cheap (compared to all Auckland hotels). However, I have stayed in other 'value' accommodation, and none have been as disappointing at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try for higher up in the hotel to avoid road noise (level 1 collects traffic noise!)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this place to be down town Auckland but regretted the choice the moment I walked into the room and it just got worse from there. I stay in a lot of hotels around NZ and I have paid less than $100 for better furnished rooms.
Old TV
No batteries in remote
Bedside lamp faulty and test certificate expired
No plug in the sink
Shower over the bath would suit a midget...I'm only 5'7" I I had to bend down
No evening room service and just continental breakfast in the morning
Only redeeming feature was a firm bed and a great view....but the blind was broken and wouldn't pull up. Go figure.

Only redeeming