“for price and Vector arena good”
Review of Arena Hotel

Arena Hotel
Arena Hotel
Ranked #48 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 26 May 2010

when we got there had to change room as the 1st one the bed was unmade and dirty towels on ground, a MESS,after we changed room it was ok as we went to the Vector Arena for Disney on ice,the staff were very helpful but the hotel is not that good its Cheap and parking was HELL, but the good point if you Got what it was worth..pay cheap get cheap,hotel needs more cleaning and paint would help,room service was not good as only good a change of towels after 2 days,
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend? only if they wanted cheap,
Tai food upstairs was very good apart from that nowhere really to eat.cafe next to hotel for breakfast was to say at least ok.outside of window early hours only quiet time.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 October 2009

We Stayed here for 5 nights Manager was very helpful & friendly Wouldnt suggest this place if you are looking to be "WOWED" 1st Floor had a foul odour and stained Carpets we had a lovely view from our room. I would stay here again
P.S DONT GO TO THE MASCOT CAFE DOWN STAIRS CHEAP AND NASTY after eating my meal went to use the toilet and nearly vomitted Faecal matter clobs of hair and plain disgusting Toilets and a waiter who mucked our order up & couldnt understand english at all.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2009

True to form, this was THE ONLY hotel we did not research and do reviews on before leaving Australia and what we got was TERRIBLE. We were hooking up with Red Carpet Tours(HIGHLY recommended)for the "Lord of The Rings" tour a few days later and just needed some place to crash at before. Our tour guides tried to warn us but I did not listen - more the fool me.

As everybody has said here - lady at reception was very nice - and that is IT for this dump of a "hotel"(calling it that is an insult to other hotels). We get into the lobby and immediately hear a conversation going on between two men about the best place to go get a massage - and not the therapeutic kind.

This did NOT bode well.

The lift smelled like old man's pants, the corridor resembled something from a post-apocalyptic film and the room.....what can I say? Dank, dreary, musty smelling and just plain DEPRESSING!!! We kept telling ourselves "Only a couple of nights here" - it was THAT bad.

We got a hire car on the Saturday night and I parked it in their "car park" - truthfully about five bays - pathetic for a "hotel" with about sixty rooms. About 11:30pm my partner went down to get something from the car and brings back a $60 parking ticket. Apparently I had parked over a "loading zone" line that, on further inspection was faded yellow and barely visible - thanks Auckland council and your shady money making schemes.

We ate at the "restaurant" next day and while the food was adequate, my partner went to the toilet and came back ashen faced. He would not tell me what it was like but just kept saying, "DO NOT go in there!!!" It must have been ATROCIOUS.

Room was hot with no air con and we had to plead with front desk for an old desk fan - Auckland being humid as hell that weekend. The bathroom was the size of a closet but less clean. Dank, mouldy and disgusting. I got out of the shower, dried off and stepped down back into the bedroom only to feel the grit in the carpet under my feet. NOT a pleasant experience. This is the kind of hotel you do not feel safe in, sleeping at night. We heard packs of people roaming up and down the halls at night and the banging of nearby doors was SO loud it kept waking us up.

To all those people who say "It's cheap so what do you expect?", I'd say I don't expect to get a parking fine, stay in something the Munsters would balk at and feel unsafe in. The place was a disgrace and, had I know what it was like, would NEVER have booked it. Couple that with the parking fine and it might have worked out cheaper in the long run just staying closer to town in a better and more expensive hotel. It could have been NO WAY as bad as this dump.

You have been warned.

Stay here at YOUR OWN RISK.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tulinfirenze
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I booked at the Arena Hotel, principally because of it's handyness to the Arena Staduim, where we were attending a show. We liked the idea of being able to just walk to the show and back again afterwards, and not have to worry about traffic etc.
At the time of booking, we were intending to stay 3 nights, but my husbands work committments meant we had to cut our stay down to just one night. When we booked through the internet, the full payment for 3 nights was taken from my credit card immeadiately. When we had to change our nights, I phoned, and was told that the other two nights would be refunded to me on arrival. Well, it wasn't, and not on departure either. We were told when we departed, that only the boss was able to do refunds, and he was not in that day, but we were assured that he would do it the next day. Well, it took 3 weeks, and 3 phon calls to finally get the money re-imbursed into my account. Not very impressive.
Also, when we booked, we choose a room with a double and a single bed, as all the double rooms were booked. however on arrival, we were sent to a room that had three single beds. When we approached reception, we were told that was all there was, as they were fully booked, so not happy about that, I went out to our vehicle to retrieve the paper work that showed what we had booked. Then, the man at reception decided he coul give us a double. This room was right at the back of the hotel, where it butts against the hill, and it smelt really musty and damp, but at least there was no traffic noise. The bed was comfortable, and the shower was good and the cleaning was adequate, but decor etc was very dated and tatty. And some of the characters you met in the corridor or lifts were dubious.
There is also only about 12 carparks for a hotel with about 60 rooms, and most of these were taken up by staff. We were told to park in the carpark over the road, which was quite expensive, and that after the show, we would be able to bring the car back into the hotel park. But after the show, the only park available was on a delivery zone, and the vehicle had to be moved by 7am the next morning, back over to the expensive park over the road.

We ate at the little diner attached to the hotel, and found it to be nothing flash, but the food was OK, and overall was good value for money.

Overall, not a great experience, and I am just glad that we were only one night, but definitely handy to the Arena.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2009

The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming. When we went to our rooms, we found it amusing that there was a filing cabinet in the hallway....very random.

The room was not the flashiest but it was clean and I found the bed comfy. The rooms were a bit warm, but no air-conditioning. I slept with the window open (we were high enough to feel safe about this) I could hear revellers late that night but I can sleep through anything so this didn't really bug me.

The hotel was across the road from the Vector Arena and this was why we chose this accommodation. We had a child with us and we didn't want to have to walk too far with her after the concert, so the location was perfect for us.

I would stay here again. Although, the rooms aren't flash they are clean. I can do cheap and plain...but I cannot bear to stay in dirty, so at least this place was clean.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2008

Lady at the front desk was lovely and really helpful. Hotel was in OK location but next time wouldnt stay there. No real problems except on the last night we spent an hour or so in the lobby in our pj's due to the fire alarm going off... It went off because it was RAINING too much....

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2008

That really sums it up, a cheap hotel, with very few thrills, but for the price its by no means a hell-hole.
Its in an ok location for the city, Queen St, the harbour area etc all walking distance. Parking over the road.
Cannot comment on food as didn't partake.
Rooms were small but clean, shower was ok - Auckland can get quite humid & there was no fab or AC, so the room got a bit stifling, & of cournse with the window open you will hear Beach Road in all its glory through the rush hour!!

• Stayed: March 2008