“Great hostel”

Ponsonby Backpackers
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Ponsonby Backpackers is a great place to stay. It is fun and sociable, but not a 'party' hostel, and as such has quite a diverse clientele. Dorms and share rooms are spacious and no room sleeps more than seven people. The outdoors area is lovely, a big garden with lots of seating, plus a free BBQ and bikes to rent. The staff are extremely friendly and happy to help with any aspect of planning your travels or activities within Auckland - they are very knowledgeable and full of suggestions. The kitchen is well stocked (pots, pans, crockery etc) and there is internet, Sky TV and a book exchange. All the communal areas are kept very clean, and although some of the showers are a bit small it's not enough to put me off staying here! The location, just off Ponsonby Road, is brilliant for the local bars, cafes and restaurants, and it's only a short walk into the city. I would recommend this backpackers to anybody.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Ponsonby Backpackers

Reviewed 29 January 2012

I originally came here for 3 nights and I'm still using it as my New Zealand base whilst travelling NZ for the past 3 months...It's run by John & Holly and a bunch of great staff that are very helpful and genuinly interested in helping you plan your itinerary....close to the nice bars and restaurants along Ponsonby Road and and an easy walk to the fast food and alternate bars along 'K Road'...15 minute (downhill !) walk into the city with the 'link bus' stops within 1 minute walk from the hostel...nice gardens, lounge and facilites..I'd definately recommend Ponsonby Backpackers...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Ponsonby Backpackers is the best hostel I have stayed in in New Zealand. Its a cozy, laid back hostel with really friendly staff. The people who run it and work here are very knowledgeable and are always on hand to help you.

The Hostel has a really good atmosphere with a large garden area and a really comfortable lounge area when its too cold to sit in the garden. The rooms are a good size and the beds are comfortable.

I have stayed here numerous times during my trip round New Zealand its almost like a second home.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Worst accommodation we stayed in in 3 weeks. Bed had springs popping through. Carpet was very old and dirty. Showers extremely small. That being said, the staff were very friendly and helpful! And it is right at the end of Francis Street, famous for the Christmas lights. That was a real treat!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
PBP1, Manager at Ponsonby Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your feedback. We are very disappointed that you did not feel our accommodation was up to your standards. Many guests review our property as one of the best they've stayed at throughout their travels. We have looked back over your booking and since checked the mattress you deemed to be uncomfortable, there is most definately nothing wrong with the bed and we've had no complaints from any other guests since. This matress was actually quite new having been replaced just 8 weeks before your stay with us. I do wish you would have approached us during your stay here so that we could of perhaps done something more to make your stay compfortable with us rather than leaving this review some time later.

Yes you are correct the lights down Franklin Road are a spectacular sight at christmas time, and we do pride ourselves on having some of the most helpful and accommodating staff. I am glad you enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us.

Thanks

Holly (Manager)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Ive been there three times already and always have been a super good experience. I don't know how the manage to create such a nice atmosphere. It just feels like everybody is good friend with everybody. I can say I made real friends there.

The kitchen is cool to use and there is a nice supermarket closeby. The toilets are always clean and the showers are nice. Staff is upper friendly and is located close to most of the fun you can find in Auckland!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Fernando C
Reviewed 7 December 2011

An average backpackers as far as I was concerned. I wasn't warned when I booked that reception would close for an hour over the time I was due to arrive. Not a great start.

The room was clean but tired and didn't have much privacy with it coming straight off the dining room. Fortunately the communal area is locked at night - unfortunately I was told the wrong door to unlock and got a bit worried when no one answered at the number listed for "emergency's" (sic).

The location is very handy for Ponsonby and central Auckland but even so, I don't think I'd stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011
PonsonbyBackpackers, Manager at Ponsonby Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Hi There,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you did not have such a great experience with us, we aim to make all of our guests happy. When our receptionist checked you in you were given instructions of which key was for your room and which was for the dining room door that passes through. The dining door does have the same number as your key on it to avoid confusion, you must have overlooked this. We are looking at bringing our reception hours back up with no break as we are getting busy so this was a helpful point to make though our staff are entitled to a break. Thanks for taking the time to make these points.

Regards

Holly (Manager)

Reviewed 3 December 2011

This hostel has the best of everything. Its small which means it is a friendly, chilled, clean place to stay. The staff are really friendly and help you as much as they can. The kitchen and bathrooms are always clean and tidy, as are the joint areas such as the living room and the garden.
As a couple we stayed in a private double and the 7 bed dorm room - both were clean, had comfy beds and had loads of space for your bags.

Its only a 15min walk to the city centre and its an easy walk. Ponsonby road has loads of bars, restaurants, cafes, banks, shops ect ect, and has a great atmosphere.
There is loads of free on street parking available which is important if you plan to buy a car/van whilst in Auckland.

We originally booked for 3 nights but ended up staying for over a week. The hostel gets booked out fast! but the staff automatically booked us in each day and made sure we had a bed. You won't find that sort of care in any of the big hostels!

I've stayed in a lot of hostels throughout europe/asia/australia/new zealand ...and this has to be the best. I would def stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple