“The best backpacker hostel in NZ”

Queen Street Backpackers
Ranked #53 of 114 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
Løgumkloster, Sonderjylland, Denmark
“The best backpacker hostel in NZ”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

The place was great, the staff were really friendly and was alwas ready to help with anything. I highly recomend to stay here if you want a great place in the city to stay with nice peopple. Chees everyone from Queenstreet Backpackers :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patrick Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The service is great, its close to everything but its a bit noisy being over bars. Soundproofing the windows could be a great idea.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank vesidude
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have stopped in a few Hostels in AUckland and there standards are never up too much compared to else where in the World or New Zealand. I was heading to Nomads when I saw that QSB was cheaper and thought I might as well give it a go.
I was very glad I did friendly welcoming staff even at 7.00 am in the morning, I was allowed to store my Bag in Reception until my room was ready.
The location of this place is fantastic near the Station and Queen Street, of course this meant it was noisy but considering where it is, that it was a Weekend and we had to sleep with the WIndow open because it was Summer I had no problem sleeping or trouble with noise.
If your staying in Auckland definatley choose this Hostel over the others, the staff are friendly, rooms are clean, Kitchen is a Decent size and a reasonalbley priced. This is a rare thing in Auckland and the bigger name Hostels here are awful!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank gumasole
Wellington
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I stayed here for the first three days of arriving in Auckland and was immediately made to feel at home. The hostel is not the newest in the city and does show a little wear and tear but what it lacked in newness it made up for in character and charm. The staff there were great and very friendly, even the guy I woke up twice in one night to let me when I locked myself out of the building when they had closed. It's got great location and is close to everything and is well priced. I would recommend Queen Street Backpackers to anyone looking at starting their trip in Auckland.

Room Tip: If arriving on the weekend be prepared as the street gets pretty nosy if you plan on staying in.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Schowskitraveler
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Assaulted by Staff Member... Hows that for a review. I stayed at this place one night this week. Frankly, I didn't expect much, just wanted somewhere cheap to keep my luggage and crash at while I went to a few interviews, so I checked into a dorm room. That evening I went out, and got back around 3am, so there was no one on reception. I went into the dorm room, and EVERY bed was occupied (apparently this isn't unusual). I wasn't going to wake anyone, so I went out into the lounge and crashed on a couch. Was woken up by an overweight guy yelling at me. I was hung over, and very disorientated, and whilst trying to figure out what was going on, and trying to explain myself, he kept yelling at me, and pushing me. I had my key in my pocket, but he wouldnt listen, and kept screaming at me to get out. In the end he actually wrapped his arms around me and tried to get me out. I managed to get away, pull my key out and we both called the police. THE POLICE... I spent a night on a couch, got assualted by a staff member and had to call the police... Is that what you want when you stay somewhere. The police got QSB to refund me, but apparently as there was no witness and frankly the guy didn't punch me so no bruises or anything, I can't push for assault charges. I understand that sometimes they have people sneak in and crash and must get sick of it, I understand that I was probably a dazed from going out and being asleep so might not have been too coherent when first woken, but NOTHING excuses this.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank M A

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Did not end up staying here as I contacted them to add myself to a party group and got hung up on when offering my credit card details to confirm to which he thought he hung up on me bt hadn't and I could hear his entire rude discussion about me to a work mate who laughed and currently the phone is still engaged an hour later.how poor.obviously not busy at all.rude man.update I called back and asked to speak to the manager who said that was him.he wouldn't let me explain myself and told me to go somewhere else if I wasn't happy and hung up on me AGAIN! !!!I am now going to nommads who gave us a discount for how rude this other place was!how lovely:)very happy now!

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank Gwenda13
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I arrived in Auckland the week before Rugby World Cup without a hotel reservation. I jumped off the bus and right in front of me was the backpackers. I've stayed in hostels before and this one has a good set up. It's close to most everything and only a quick walk to the ferry building. The staff was super helpful in providing suggestion and feedback. If you have just arrived into Auckland this is a great spot to collect yourself and meet a traveling partner or two.

• Stayed September 2011