“Good location, friendly staff, basic room”

Queen Street Backpackers
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed here for one night with a friend. Handy location in the city centre, staff were really friendly and wi-fi was free. We stayed in a twin room consisting of bunk beds, a wardrobe and a sink. Pretty basic but clean, and toilets/showers were only a short walk down the corridor. We found it nice and quiet and both had a good nights sleep. Overall I would recommend this hostel based on location and the staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

The location is good, right in the cbd. The hostel itself is nothing special. Bathrooms and kitchens are not very clean, and rooms either. There is free internet connection, but it's slow and not always working. It's ok for a few days, dorms are not too expensive.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed here over the long weekend with my brother in a twin share room. Small musty little room with bunk beds. Had to be the worst bed i've ever slept in, mattress sagged and every time my brother moved on the bottom bunk the whole thing shook and felt like it was gonna collapse! Were also in a room above the pub downstairs, so so noisy!! Impossible to get any sleep on the first night (Thurs), managed a few hours on sat and sun with help of ear plugs and sleeping pills. Sun and mon night weren't so bad but still a lot of street noise. Not recommended to stay if you actually wish to sleep!!
But besides that it's a pretty standard backpackers with extremely friendly staff (albeit slightly unprofessional at times).
Free wifi but no coverage from room (managed to get on the free wifi from the pub below tho!!)
Location is fantastic, right besides britomart, if you can hack the noise or intend to be one of those down making the noise! :P
Price is slightly on the high side, could almost get a motel room for the same price! (Prices went up between my booking and staying, they were awesome and honored the earlier price for me!)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Free Wifi (There is a sign written that the Wifi is 3 Dollars per hour but just ask the reception, they have plenty of codes for free), Free Baggage Store, friendly Staff, nice Rooms, good kitchen, cool people and great Location! Can't say anything bad about this place!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The website shows a somewhat decent backpackers, but don't be fooled.
Free wifi? Not quite. The floor our room was on had no reception coverage & there was a sign saying $3 per hour for Internet on this floor???
Hot shower? Maybe 5 times out of 10.
Dirty bathrooms.
Beds feel like they're going to collapse every time you roll over. No hooks to hang wet shower towels. The place is outdated, the rooms smell & on the floor we stayed on, there were only toilet & shower cubicles BUT NO BASINS to clean your teeth so you have to walk down a 100 metre corridor & down a flight of stairs into reception area to clean your teeth!!!
We were put in a bedroom that was next to an out of order toilet block & for 4-5 days out of the week we stayed there, right outside our room starting from 7am, construction guys doing maintenance to the building were using hammers & band saws, yahooing & carrying on.
WORST THING ABOUT BACKPACKERS - Kitchen is closed from 10pm - 7am!!! So if you land a job while here & start at 7am or even work late & come home wanting a feed.... Forget about it. Go to work hungry, go to bed hungry.
$4 to wash clothes & $4 to dry - $8 would have to be one of the most expensive self service laundry I've ever used.
Perhaps if the guy seemingly in charge took more time & effort ensuring the place was running as it should instead of playing Xbox with the backpackers then this place might operate .01% better. Location is great, but that's the only thing this place has to offer.
Disappointed is an understatement.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank traveltheglobe13
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed in QSB for two nights only while I first arrived in Auckland. The location was good as well as the price. Their staffs are friendly and helpful as my group of friends are travelling out from accommodation very early, we requested to have the kitchen open earlier. They allowed that. The showers and bathrooms were a bit small, but it could fit me in. LoL. The room that we rented was a 8 beds double-decked room. A bit squeezy as we have big luggage. After all, the purpose of our stay is eat, sleep and bath. So we didn't use much of other facilities that are available. Oh, I remembered that I used the washing machine and dryer, due to the spillage of my things onto my coat. For me, It's expensive. Not sure what others think. As compared to other backpackers that I've stayed while I was in New Zealand, they have the expensive ones. Another thing, the time when I arrived is Friday. So, those who knows about clubbing would know, it's extremely noisy. For me, I could sleep when I am tired, but that doesn't apply to my friend. It wouldn't be nice to sleep in a noisy environment.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suk_Ling10
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed in QSB on and off for 4 months while I traveled in and around Auckland. The location was great and all the prices were good compared to other backpackers in the area. I found that the facilities were excellent (though during part of my stay construction caused some disruption). They have a good sized rooms, clean bathrooms and showers, good sized kitchens, a lounge, a bar and free Wifi (with very decent connections speed)
The staff were always open, friendly and fun and were helpful and knowledgeable when planing trips around the country.
Most of all though, I found that the atmosphere was the most enjoyable aspect of my stay. Between the genuine and friendly attitude of all the people that work there and the general good nature of the people that the hostel attracted to stay, I really feel like I made some great and lasting friendships.
I would definitely recommend this Hostel to anyone that is looking for a fun, welcoming place to stay while exploring Auckland and will most certainly staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends