“Inhuman: rooms without windows”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Totally disappointed, my first experience terrible, they charged me from my credit card in USD (and the rates are in NZD), 5 NZD extra per book online, and in the webmail dosen't show that, and the people in the backpacker, don't know nothing about the charge!!!!

The first night I stay in the Double room, because I didn't know that DON'T HAVE WINDOW is unbelievable!!!!, the second night I asked for the DELUXE ROOM (with window) and was available, but was very noisy, close to the backpacker is a Nigthclub and is working all the day of the week, really noisy.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 December 2011

terrible place to stay. no windows in rooms. expensive drinks in the bar. DO NOT use the lift! it broke down with me in it and the phone in it didnt work no one cared. tiny shower. very limited bathroom facilities. crap place.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We arrived at Nomad's after a pretty gruelling 36 hour journey, and just wanted to fall into the double bed we'd booked. After a fair bit of faffing about with an exceptionally drunken French student, the lad on reception found our booking, and handed us our key. We found our room, opened the door only to find the bed had been slept in the previous night, there was a pint of what looked suspiciously like urine on the bedside cabinet and the half eaten remains of a McDonald’s sat eyeing us from the corner of the room.

Naturally, I returned to reception, where the drunken Gaul had reappeared and was now trying to convince the rather flustered teenager behind the desk, that he had paid for a room for the night. After about 20 minutes, the manager came to the front desk and dealt with him, leaving me to approach and make my complaint. After explaining it was his first night, our man on reception spent a good 15 minutes re-assigning us to a double room that he was sure would have been cleaned. I took the key and headed up the stairs. On arrival in our new room, we were pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a clean room with an actual window! We fell asleep instantly.

The following morning, I returned to reception, and despite my checking the previous night that we had booked for two night’s stay – the lad on the night shift had not in fact added the second night to our new room. The incredibly helpful (and seemingly more experienced) lady who had taken his place, ensured we were booked into our upgraded room, at no extra cost, for that night as well.

In short – I feel you get what you pay for with places like this, but basic cleanliness and organisation is not too much to ask. We did have a genuine cause for complaint, but it was dealt with (eventually) to our satisfaction, and we enjoyed our short stay in Auckland.

Room Tip: For the love of God don't get the most basic package if you can possibly afford to upgrade...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The place is exactly how it makes itself out to be. The rooms were as described on the website and the small problems there were are all highlighted by either themselves or other reviewers. These were things like excess noise (which you can't really complain about considering the place is right in down town Auckland), and some need for refurbishment. The staff were all really helpful and the location is great. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JMertz
Reviewed 10 June 2011

The rooms were typical dorms, but there were alot of permanent residence in my dorm so there was stuff everywhere. The dorms had a kitchen/living area right oustide the dorms. We were sitting around drinking beers and more than once, there where cockroaches crowling up and down the walls. There were multiple times when this happend, it was nasty.

Room Tip: dont
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed at Fat Camel due to a lack of other accomodations twice durign our trip around NZ Feb 2011. I would say the staff was relatively helpful, and they have a good wifi connection as well as pc terminals you can lease time on.

The rooms weren't awesome, the bed covers were somewhat dingy but the sheets and pillowcases were brand new. The rooms are rather stuffy, not having good air circulation - but the twin rooms had A/C units (something you dont find on the cheap in NZ). I would reccomend not opening the windows if you're staying on a weekend night as the bar below can get loud - but then again - why else are you staying downtown Auckland? We stayed on the 6th floor on a Sat and a Tues and it didn't get too bad at all.

!!HOWEVER!! As you may have heard all hotels worldwide are suffering from a bedbug problem. It is my understanding that FCH regularly treats the rooms for insectia - but I was a little dismayed to find a bedbug (albeit a dead one) in the wardrobe. Needless to say we kept our luggage off the floor The good news is after a thorough search we didn't find any other signs of bugs or bug activity.

The second twinbed room we booked had one issue - the door wasn't very secure. FCH uses keycards to access the rooms which is nice - but the second room looked like it had been jimmied at the point where the latch meets the door frame - Many times. I closed the automatically locking door (no deadbolt access from the outside) and in 1 second was able to pop the door open again just by sliding the keycard between the latch and doorjam. We went to the desk and they were quite helpful in switching our rooms.

Parking is also not always easy, you may find yourself a street or two away (no big deal if you get out before 8am when the meters start charging again)

All in all we were happy with the deal we recieved, but don't go expecting a lot - it IS a hostel after all!

Room Tip: Ask for 6th floor, get a Twinbed (private) room.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank popbonsai
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I would not let my dog stay here. You would get a better room in prison. I was in a private room which had no windows, there was litterally 2 beds and that was it! Everything was dirty! The Internet cost 15 dollars for the day and the staff who checked us in were very unhelpfull. I am travelling around the world and this is by far the worst place I have ever been to. No ammenities, manners, cleanliness and air!!! What a disgrace, do anything to stay away from this place!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011