“Nicely surprised”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

So after having booked this and then reading reviews I was a bit concerned, but I was very nicely surprised, I think it's changed managers in the last few months. The hostel was totally dry except the bar downstairs, the rooms were clean and so were the communal areas. Few showers but I didn't end up having to wait once. The team were very nice and helpful and it was in the good central location.

For the price it was pretty good, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Hi Berrydog,

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback on your stay at Nomads Fat Camel. We accept the building is a little bit old and tired (it has waiting a complete renovation by the owners in the near future) but we are committed to continually improving the cleanliness, service and facilities in the meantime.
Have a great 2013 and we would love to have you stay again!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was booked in to stay 4 nights but after one night I checked out as this was such a terrible hostel. The room stank and I don't think the 'apartment' had been cleaned in weeks. Also this place is supposed to be a dry hostel and it was far from it. I arrived in the evening after a long flight and all I wanted to do was sleep, so thought this might be a possibility as there wouldn't be anyone drinking in the rooms, living area. How wrong was I! No sleep and when I told the guy on reception in the morning he was admanant it was a dry hostel and checks were always carried out. He also said they had no formal complaints procedure in place and he could not authorise a refund......I'm still waiting for a reply from the manager Arran.

I've stayed in lots of hostels and this was by far the worst I have ever had to stay in. Not an ideal start to my NZ trip!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jane K

Hi Jane,

Thanks for taking the time to replace feedback on your stay at Nomads Fat Camel and we regret you did not have a great experience!
We do clean all rooms and common areas daily and also have an evening cleaner on to refresh the same areas. The Fat Camel is a dry hostel as it is a licenced premises but unfortunately occasionally we do get people sneaking it in. To combat this we have the night audit staff doing apartment checks every hour or so for noise and drinking and we have recently changed entry points so that all guests have to pass by reception to enter or exit the hostel allowing better monitoring. At the time of your stay we also had a small group of long term guests who continually flaunted the rules and disrespected staff and guests so as a consequence were asked to leave. Unfortunately it seems on the night of your stay the checks were not done as often as they should have been and this has been dealt with.
I apologise for this and just wish you had come down at the time so we could have dealt with it immediately and upgraded you to another room if possible or to our newer more modern alternative Nomads Auckland just 40m down the street.
If you are ever back in Auckland please contact us in advance with this correspondence and I will be more than happy to make sure you are totally looked after and receive our usual great experience!

My apologies again

Reviewed 22 October 2012

From the day I arrived in Auckland I stayed in the Fat Camel. First I was a little skeptic about a hostel that size because I thought it will be hard for me to meet new people but thanks to the helpful staff and the great activity's every day/night it was no problem at all for me to make heaps of new friends. Since its location right in the heart of Aucklands CBD its a perfect spot to hangout whether your looking for fun or a job. The free snack meals every night where the perfect topping on the cake after every day (specially when you work and come home after a long and hard day ;)
So there's nothing left to do for me to say "Thank You" to the staff and the people of the Fat Camel.
Ka kite ano, my friends !!!
Your Danny Supertramp

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Hi Danny Supertramp,

Thanks for your review of your time here at Nomads Fat Camel. Your smiling face is missed by all the staff here. we hope you are having an awesome time travelling around New Zealand and hope you can come back and say hi before you leave!

Reviewed 8 September 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed there while travelling through New Zealand. Staff at front desk were friendly but we made the HUGH mistake of paying for 2 weeks upfront (no refund policy)...if only we had seen the room first!We got put up on the 6th floor in a windowless Room that smelt of dampness and dirt. Our bed was 2 lumpy mattresses and we had a single couch which i wouldnt even have put rubbish on it it was filthy,,,I know staying in a Hostel your expectations cant be that high but after living in a tent in Australia i would have rather have been back there!we left the hostel 5 nights earlier and booked into a beautiful hotel around the corner!we never got our Money back..We had to leave before we went crazy!Tv room is Filthy too you feel manky after sitting on the couches! kitchen areas was old and the electric sockets were unsafe!!!its 2012!!!!!

Room Tip: run far far away
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Globehopper26
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Hi Globehopper,

I am sorry about your experience at The Fat Camel. I have just taken over as GM towards the end of August and the team have worked hard to get everything up to scratch as quickly as possible before the planned upgrade of the whole hostel.
New cleaning and staff systems have been put in place to ensure that everything is as clean as possible and along with staff changes have helped boost the overall customer experience. When you visited the hostel was actually in between managers for a brief period and Unfortunately it seems standards had slipped in that time.
My apologies again.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We had planned to stay for two nights but decided to check out early. Our doubleroom had a smell (read stench) to it that reminded us of strong chemicals, and red bugs were perched on a wall, which really made for the hospitable atmosphere of the room. It was hot, poorly ventilated and we woke up after an hour's sleep or so with a serious throbbing headache. Even hours after checking out we still have a headache and we find it difficult to breathe properly, as if the air flow is being blocked by something. Aside from these health issues, the room was dirty but the showers were quite ok (a small candle can seem bigger in a dark room, can't it?). Youngsters were cleaning up in the afternoon when we went there to get our backpacks after having found another place to stay at, and by the sound of them, I'm not sure if it was all work and no fun or vice versa, yet I suspect that the latter might be true which could perhaps explain the poor presentation of our room.

The place is great insofar as it being located right in the city centre (squeezed in between two strip bars apparently) and everything is within walking distance, plus the staff in the reception area are really helpful and nice. Everything else is beyond horrifying, and even if you're on a budget I'm sure that there are much better places than this one. My advice is to look elsewhere for a place to stay. I'll never stay at Nomads Fat Camel hostel ever again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Tim D,

I am the new GM of the Fat Camel and took over around the time you stayed at the hostel.
I totally agree that the service and cleanliness was not up to scratch at that time but I did inspect the room along with another manager and we found no evidence of red bugs or dirtyness. I am not sure about the stuffiness of the room as it was not brought to my attention until 1 day later but we have had no one else complain about headaches or dizzyness.
I hope you were offered the chance of a free upgrade to a double with a window as would now be the case whenever possible.
In the meantime new cleaning and staff systems have been put in place which I totally agree were needed. The hostel is soon to undergo a total renovation which will remove all the windowless rooms.
Thank you for your comments on the staff friendliness and showers.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Luckily we only stayed here for 3 nights, but out of all the hostels we stayed in it was by far the worst. The room was pretty cheap - with 4 bunk beds squished into the tiniest room - there was basically no space. There were roadworks going on right outside so it was pretty noisy, the kitchen was terrible - with only 1 cup and 1 plate it wasn't exactly ideal and the sofa was completely covered in stains.
The only saving grace was the location - it was basically right in the centre, about a 2 minute walk from the shops which was really convenient. I definitely would not stay here again, unless you were looking for a very cheap hostel for a quick stopover i would steer clear.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank knowltona

Hi Knowltona,

Since coming on as the new GM in late August we have made several much needed changes including but definitely not limited to...

The cleaning schedule has been improved and is now triple checked daily
Some long term guests who were messy and causing noise issues have been removed
The road works have now finished making for a much quieter nicer outside environment (unfortunately this was out of our control and all businesses on the street have been inconvenienced by the noise and dust but the end result is great)
All cutlery in the apartments has been audited and replenished
Cleaning all the old furniture in the apartments and common area

We would love for you to come back in the future and enjoy the difference!

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We needed a cheap place to stay the weekend of the rugby world cup final.
We got a private room with shared bathroom & kitchen.
It's a great set up, 3 rooms shared a bathroom, so not too many ppl to share with.
I wouldn't say the bathroom was clean, but it wasn't feral.
The other two rooms in our apartment were nice & bright. We on the other hand had a windowless box big enough for a queen sized bed & to put ur bags down on the ground beside.
There were no other rooms left & hotels in Auckland that weekend were mental.
So we sucked it up.

Advice: if your asthmatic Definately don't book the windowless room. The stench of mould was overpowering & you'll be lucky to not have any breathing problems.

Overall: cheap, good location - although seamy Neighbourhood, awesomely close to the big white van that does late night snacks!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank surfagurl
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Hi Surfagurl,

The windowless rooms are our cheapest and will not be around for much longer with a total renovation being planned for the hostel. A new cleaning schedule has recently been put in place with new management and we endeavour to keep all rooms as spotless as possible.
The street area outside has now been transformed andFort St and the Britomart area are becoming the trendy part of the city so we would love for you to give us another chance if you are ever back in Auckland!