“By far my worst hostel experience ever!”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Ranked #79 of 118 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
“By far my worst hostel experience ever!”
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

I always stay in dorms and I'm not very picky about noise, sensible amounts of stuff lying around and people coming and going. But this hostel was so bad that even though I had paid for three nights, I booked another hostel after one night, and since they don't have a refund policy I ended up paying for two room for two nights, but I'm still glad I did it. When I arrived, the kitchen was dirty, the showers were dirty, the dorm was dirty and someone actually had some private time (yhea, the real stuff) in one of the bunks, just covered by a sheet. I can survive some nights in a dirty hostel, but what made me tick about this one was a gang of some other travelers, which I guess had stayed there for some time based on how they acted. This gang includes the happy couple. I should maybe have seen it coming when they were drinking beer on the room when I arrived, in a supposibly dry hostel, and smoking inside the room! Who does that? Well, I went out for the evening, came back to the hostel, spent some time in the worn out TV room and was back in the dorm by half past eleven, finding half the dorm asleep. Five minutes after I went to bed, a group of four comes in, turns on the light and decides to have a vorspiel inside the dorm, which they didn't even stayed in themselves. They only did it to wake up one of their mates. After an hour of drinking, shouting and smoking, they left, I still couldn't sleep because of the very loud street outside the window. When they returned, only the couple this time, I had finally fallen asleep, but got regulary woken up through the night by either the bunk shaking violently (yhea, I was so lucky that I got the bunk above them) or the smell of cigarett smoke. I guess that I would have had a better night sleeping in a park.

Even though this isn't entirely the hostels fault, I blame them for having poor control over the punters, especially since I guess that these people had stayed there for some time allready.
I would rather sleep in a park before staying at Nomads Fat Camel again, and I suppose everybody else consider the same, if you don't love rude and inconsiderate teenagers that is. I'm 21 yrs old my self, but know very good that normal people should not behave like this.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew D
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel and I totally agree
that this behaviour was not acceptable. There have been 3 complaints in the last week about the same floor and this is being dealt with at the moment. The night staff have also been spoken too about regularity of their apartment checks for noise and people flouting the rules.
The apartment setting does mean that more intensive checks are needed as some people do start to treat them like they can do what they want which is not the case at all. This layout has been earmarked for change by the building owners.

Arran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
MA
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I know this is a hostel for backpackers. But the place is still much worse than expectation.

The facilities are very old and bad, showers are terrible (I think they are 40 ys old). I felt same as RiOrIo24 did. “I Can't Believe They are in Business!”

But the staffs are nice at least and location is good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NorthCloud
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Hi Cyan351

I agree that the hostel is starting to look old and is now waiting for its long overdue renovation.
I am not sure what bathroom you were using but there are bathrooms located throughout the hostel all in very good condition.

Nemo

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This hostel was absolutely terrible! We stayed for only 1 night and thank God it wasn't any longer than that!
We booked online and then got to the hostel for 12 in the afternoon to check in. As soon as we came in and stood at the desk the guy at reception just ignored us. I don't know what he was doing... just faffing about with some papers. The least he could do was greet us or say 'just a moment.' We said Hi and he said hi then continued to ignore us. Then my partner had to say 'we made a booking with you??' to get him to even serve us! So he checked our booking out then told us that our room wouldn't be ready until 1pm. Fair enough so we explored the city for an hour. Came back at 1 and he then tells us that they've had a really busy day and our room may or may not be clean. Then gave us our room key told us what floor. That was it. No explanation how to get to said floor, where bathrooms were, kitchen, nothing about check out times or procedures. We eventually found our room to find no it hadn't been cleaned yet. The cleaners were making the bed still. So we went back into the city for another hour. Came back at 2 and the cleaners were STILL cleaning. They were only just hoovering our floor before they would finish with our room. We didn't check in until 2:10pm.
To be honest I don't even know why the cleaners bother because the place was still filthy. The kitchen looked too dirty to cook in, the single toilet we all had to share was disgusting, the showers were growing alien life, the place stank, was extremely noisy at night, felt unsafe, and was very uncomfortable.

Such a terrible place to stay. Please head all our warnings and DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RiOrIo24
Hi Riorlo24,

If the customer interaction was as you reported this is unacceptable and this email has been passed on to all the staff. It is very unusual and over 90% of guests review the staff interaction as 4 or 5 out of 5.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 March 2013

It is the most terrible, awful, horrible, dreadful place I have ever stayed at in all my entire life. I could not sleep even for 2 hours in that smelly room all over the night. It was exactly look like a chamber for growing microbes! My room has NO Windows, NO ventilation! I had to leave the room's door open all the night, then I could breath! Pay another 10 to 20 bucks more and stay in hostel that you can at least sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Pablo0
Hi Pablo O,

Unfortunately the no window budget rooms do get quite hot and stuffy over the summer period. This is why they are the cheapest rooms. All rooms and apartments are cleaned thoroughly
twice daily and a night cleaner also heads around at 10pm.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 February 2013

No ventialtion, smelly rooms, broken beds and missed bookings, had to change rooms overnight and then they lost 2 of out group so they had no room at all. Noisy until 4am forget sleep. Gave up and booked somewhere else for our lat night, $80 bucks more for the 4 of us but in a really nice hotel.

Room Tip: Noisy until 4am forget sleep.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Graham D
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

The location was great, but that was it, there are a few more hostels in downtown Auckland that I have been to which are much better than this one!
The 'apartments' smelled terrible, there are no windows or ventilation, the kitchens were poorly equipped and always dirty, the rubbish bins were always overflowing and the furniture was skanky.
The dorms smelled a little better but were still poorly ventilated and stuffy.
The mattresses were very tired, and needed to be changed about a year ago...
I booked two nights and had to leave after the first night because it was too dirty!
I have read other reviews and I know the new general manager has stated multiple times that renovations are underway but I don't understand why simple changes cant be made in the mean time ; like changing the mattresses, buying a air purifier and air fresheners, and restocking the kitchens!!
Over all I would never stay here again and had not met many people who would.

At least the staff were nice, and it was a great location but it not enough to make up for the rest!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank itchyfeet009
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Hi Shadowfax,

We apologise you didnt enjoy your stay at the Fat Camel. I checked the res system and unfortunately you were in one of the older apartments. If you had come and seen us at reception we would have tried our best to upgrade you at no cost to another room or our other hostel if nothing was available.
Unfortunately the building owners still havent started the renovation and as it could be anytime now we are unable to make many substantial changes or purchases as the whole layout/interior design and furnishing of the hostel will change.
There are air fresheners on the wall of each apartment and the apartments are cleaned twice daily with spot checks also done by our housekeeping manager. We try and keep up with stocking all kitchens on a regular basis but unfortunately as any hostel will tell you it keeps walking out the door.

Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

We turned up here just before nye and had already booked for 5 nights. We had a double private room and it was a bargain. We had a shared kitchen and bathroom which was slightly annoying, but for the price there was no reason to complain. Everything worked as it should, the people working were friendly, and the bar downstairs was pretty good. A great location. Great value for money for a no frills place to stay

• Stayed December 2012
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Hi Foamoirefresher,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and we are stoked you had a great stay at Nomads Fat Camel. We would love to have you stay again or just pop in and say hi next time you are in Auckland!