I always stay in dorms and I'm not very picky about noise, sensible amounts of stuff lying around and people coming and going. But this hostel was so bad that even though I had paid for three nights, I booked another hostel after one night, and since they don't have a refund policy I ended up paying for two room for two nights, but I'm still glad I did it. When I arrived, the kitchen was dirty, the showers were dirty, the dorm was dirty and someone actually had some private time (yhea, the real stuff) in one of the bunks, just covered by a sheet. I can survive some nights in a dirty hostel, but what made me tick about this one was a gang of some other travelers, which I guess had stayed there for some time based on how they acted. This gang includes the happy couple. I should maybe have seen it coming when they were drinking beer on the room when I arrived, in a supposibly dry hostel, and smoking inside the room! Who does that? Well, I went out for the evening, came back to the hostel, spent some time in the worn out TV room and was back in the dorm by half past eleven, finding half the dorm asleep. Five minutes after I went to bed, a group of four comes in, turns on the light and decides to have a vorspiel inside the dorm, which they didn't even stayed in themselves. They only did it to wake up one of their mates. After an hour of drinking, shouting and smoking, they left, I still couldn't sleep because of the very loud street outside the window. When they returned, only the couple this time, I had finally fallen asleep, but got regulary woken up through the night by either the bunk shaking violently (yhea, I was so lucky that I got the bunk above them) or the smell of cigarett smoke. I guess that I would have had a better night sleeping in a park.
Even though this isn't entirely the hostels fault, I blame them for having poor control over the punters, especially since I guess that these people had stayed there for some time allready.
I would rather sleep in a park before staying at Nomads Fat Camel again, and I suppose everybody else consider the same, if you don't love rude and inconsiderate teenagers that is. I'm 21 yrs old my self, but know very good that normal people should not behave like this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fat Camel Hostel is perfectly located in the heart of Auckland Downtown and is near to the Skytower and Viaduct Harbour. We have apartment style accommodation with shared dorm rooms, private rooms and even a female only apartment. Security Swipe Card access 24 hours with a 24 hour reception desk and internet access. A free snack size meal is provided every night you stay with free activities in the bar and excellent drinks specials. Come and be a part of the Fatty Family! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Priceline, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Nomads Fat Camel Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nomads Fat Camel Hotel Auckland Central
- Nomads Fat Camel Hostel Auckland, New Zealand