“Worst room ever!”

Nomads Fat Camel Hostel
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My 3 friends and I booked a 4 bed dorm here. It was the tiniest room ever and should have been for 2 people only. There's absolutely NOTHING in the room except the bed and a locker. It's dingy. I've travelled all of Asia and oz and this is without doubt the worst hostel. I asked the lady at reception where would be best to park my car....She told me I couldn't park it because it would be too expensive everywhere???!!!!!!! No wifi without having to pay and it's not in the rooms anyway. They claim to have free food in the evenings....no food. Just awful. Thank god it was just for one night.

• Stayed: January 2014
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay and we are sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. I am guessing you were travelling with the reviewer above.
I am sorry if you weren't given helpful advice about parking from our reception team member and I can only guess it was a new member of staff on as all the team know which parking options to recommend at which times of the day.
I am not sure if you got lost but the free snack meal is served in the bar every night at 7pm and you can also upgrade this to a full sized plate with a beer, wine or juice for the great price of $8.
We also offer 30 mins free daily WIFI at our Mad Travel shop which I hope reception alerted you to!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My first mention has to be the staff. They were very helpful and chatty, they created a family vibe and altogether I stayed for 10 nights over a month period and was always welcomed back very nicely! On the last evening of my stay before leaving NZ, I had my purse stolen whilst out. I was very upset and had no idea what to do. A few members of staff let me have access to the computer and internet to contact my bank (normally expensive!), and they did so much to help and calm me down. Thank you!

During my stay I stayed in a 4 bed dorm, cheapest option with no window, and an 8 bed dorm. I would recommend paying a couple of dollars more and going for a room with a window. The budget rooms got very hot and without the window made it possible to sleep all day! However for budget rooms are what I expected.

The hostel had a good location, and the free meal in the evenings was a bonus. The lounge area was big and was always quite busy so there was always a movie of TV to watch. Sometimes the bathrooms were dirty but generally I really think this hostel is good value for the cheap prices people pay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

HI Amy,

Thanks for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel and we are stoked you enjoyed your time with us. I am sorry to hear about your purse and am glad the awesome reception team helped you as much as possible.

Kind regards and we wish you happy travels

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Dear Nomads and future guest,
I noticed your manager (Arran) was reading these reviews and its due to this I feel I need to write a review. A lot of common themes seem to come up and certainly need to be addressed.
Yes the hostel is central and I think the staff come across very well. Our dorm room was well ventilated with the windows which is rare for a dorm and thus didn't smell! Hurrah! Common areas and toilets were clean enough but shabby. Minor issues included door to a shower requiring the main door to be open to allow you to step in, running toilet so the cistern never fills were some minor issues. Along with Plug points not working in rooms and common areas. Beds were ok, most appear to have slats which move, but if positioned back into place you'll get a good nights sleep. Yes its noisy outside, but its a hostel and I think the no drinking rule helps significantly reduce and manage it. This is all stuff I could live with for a few days as these things are the norm for hostels...

On a more serious note you have major cleanliness and security concerns.
Security:
There are not enough cupboard/lockers in our room for each guest (6 for 8 bed dorm) or places to put your bags safely in the room. The storage room key is passed out to most guests to store or retrieve their bags which should be controlled more. The day we stored our bags the floor of the cupboard was filthy and mass chaos. So bad we sent home photos of the sea of bags we climbed across to get our bags.
The common area lounge had people sleeping overnight in it which I think staff should address (more than likely your long term tenants).
Cleanliness:
We are staying in a mixed dorm where there are some long term tenants (one thankfully left after night one, after bringing a girl to bed with him the night before for us to endure). These lodgers make the short term tenants live in their filth. One of our 3 has left yet I see his unwanted posessions, coffee cups, rubbish etc still littered around and under his bed (3days gone now). It is mirrored by the other long term occupants on the other side. Yes you can't control peoples mess, but why should I pay to live in this?
I have a pool of what appears to be dried vomit at the end of my bed with a cutip dipped in it. This would have been evident when the beds were made up. I haven't seen the cleaning staff to bring it up but have seen the trollies so I know they are cleaning, but maybe due to the state this room is in aren't able to properly tackle the issues (Frankly I wouldn't know where to start either, its like living in a group of teenagers bedroom). I also have a massive hole in the wall staring back at me, this shouldn't exist! Ironically its in the shape of a head.
The room is in such an unbelievable state, I sent pictures home for people to comment on and they were horrified. One offering to get in contact with friends in the city for us to stay with if it got unbearable...
I'm sorry to say but if we had not prepaid I would have turned around and left.
Hopefully this comment can put some changes in place and make it a better stay for future guests.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ezza25
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi Ezza,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel and commenting on positively on the staff and other aspects of the hostel. I know which room you were in due to your description of the hole in the wall which has now been filled and you will be happy to know the 3 longer term guests are no longer with us. Unfortunately traveler passion does pop up in dorm rooms around the world but this along with most of these issues such as a power plug not working can be fixed instantly by just telling reception. The Fat Camel is our budget hostel and our more modern property is located just down the street for those that want more comfort!
I am currently ensuring all the issues you brought up for that room have been addressed so thank you again for bringing them to my attention

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Exactly what the title says...

Before anything, the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, and the hostels location was fantastic!

I stayed with my girlfriend in the private double room, paying $35 per night.
First impressions of the room were pretty bad. It had a horrible smell... stale and stuffy, like a teenager had been staying there for a month before hand and never ever cleaned!
There was no window which was expected but no air conditioning at the same time, so the room was very warm all the time. Eventually we asked for a fan which made a massive difference!
The room didn't consist of much...a double bed, small table and 1 side table.
The condition of the room in general was very much used/needing updated.

BUT some of the cons can be forgotten about when you consider with low price of the room.

They need to get rid of the smell...the other cons are bearable. The room was uncomfortably warm at night, so a fan should be in the room permanently to help.

There are loads of hostels within a minutes walk, all in a great location. I would look around and either pay a little more for a nicer room, or simply take a gamble and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Hi Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on your stay at the Fat Camel and we are devastated it didnt live up to your expectations. We acknowledge the budget rooms at the Camel do not have windows and can be a little warm and stuffy in the Summer time.
Thank you for rating the staff so highly as we have a great team and it was awesome they provided you with a fan for the room!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The staff was yhe best part of our stay, being MOST helpful with our questions. Luckily, the sleeping room had a window to let in sunlight and somewhat of a view. The bathroom shower facility was poor in cleaniliness appearance in that the room was dark and dingy looking, the single shower hook so high that my two roommates and I were too short to reach ( our heights ranged 5 ft - 5ft,2 inches tall). The bath towel my friend was given was a RAG with a huge hole. The "snack" at happy hour was a small bowl of whatever served that day, with no seconds, even if anyone would want it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Arran D, General Manager at Nomads Fat Camel Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi Mayannehom,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Camel and rating the staff so highly.
The Fat Camel is our budget hostel with our newer, more modern property located just down the street which may have been more to your preference.
We offer good quality snack meals at the Camel every night at no charge as a little value add. A lot of our guests want more and upgrade to a full sized meal with a beer wine or juice for just $8 which is a great deal.
We wish you happy travels!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Good location, very near to city center.
Room & kitchen & toilet are clean.
Staff help you check in and work efficient.
Cheap price you can get through their internet booking.

However, the hostel is very near to a bar, which is quite noisy at night even if you close the window.

Anyway, still recommend if just need a short stay in the city with a budget price.

Room Tip: Book through official website you will get good deal
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

HI Cherry,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at The Fat Camel and we are stoked you enjoyed your time with us!
The Camel is in a great location in the heart of the funky Britomart area and some nights of the week it can be a little noisy outside in the evenings. I hope you took advantage of this and joined in the atmosphere downstairs on at least one night of your stay!
We wish you amazing travels!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This was a great place for me and my friend to first get into new zealand. The place was clean and tidy to the best of the workers capabilities... sometimes you just get dirty people stayin in your room! Loved the apartment style! It was awesome to be able to cook our own meals. Everyone there was super nice especially the staff! It was a tad noisy from the bar downstairs but you should be down there meeting other travellers anyways!! Wicked place... will definately stay there again:)

• Stayed: November 2013

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your stay at the Fat Camel and we are stoked you enjoyed your time with us. The Camel is a budget, social hostel and we are glad you found it the perfect place to start your travels!
We hope to see you again and that you are enjoying your time in this amazing country!