“Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 107 Speciality Lodging in Auckland
London
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

We were told that The Fat Camel was an apartment based hostel with the rooms split into small flat like apartments with their own kitchen and bathrooms. With this in mind we were quite looking forward to our stay here. When we arrived we were very disappointed. The staff weren't particularly helpful to begin with. Our room itself was terrible. The kitchen was dirty, had very little cooking equipment and was tiny. The dorms were smelly and freezing cold, there was no heating at all. There were two showers and one toilet for close to twenty people. Don't be fooled by the free meals on offer either, the portions are pathetic. We had cottage pie which consisted of about two mouth falls. I would advise anyone to pay a tiny bit more and to go somewhere else than to stay here. It was a complete dive.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

Coming from south east asia, this was our first taste of NZ's backpackers accommodation and in hindsight it wasn't the best. It's in a great location to explore Auckland and you're only a short walkaway from all the main attractions and amenities. We had a four share room which ok, cleanish but comfortable. Keep the window closed at night though as the street cleaners wake you up at 4am and seem to spend hours cleaning just outside the hostel. We had some loud neighbours in adjoining rooms but that's no fault of the hostels. The showers and toilets were clean as was the small living/common room area. There is a bar downstairs offering cheap meals and other good offers to budget backpackers - however this does add to the loud noise late at night and into the early hours. As a solo backpacker this place would be ok but to a couple who want peace, pay more and go somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ZOEe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

I stayed at the fat camel during january and it was just what i expected, there was a little wait when i cecked in but this was understandable as there were a lot of people checking in at the same time.

Otherwise i was served well and got a good experience of auckland and the "good" things to see arround the city. The day trips were awesome and went to some of the best beaches i have seen arround New Zealand.

The location was nice and centeral, close to everything. The bus, train, and all the shopping and bars needed to make it a good day out!

Yeah it was a little loud at times but for the location, people and extras it was well worth it. I was sorted out with the rest of my trip in New Zealand and got some good deals and suggestions for nice out of the way places to check out.

The Fat camel is a good place to check out and chill out for a bit or set up the rest of your time in NZ and git the road.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

Stay away! Yes it has good location but go somewhere else! I thought the BASE ACB was bad! I don't recommend that place either, but I'd rather stay there then at the fat camel.
It does have a pretty good location, close to everything, but the area it's in is kinda creepy and it might be cheap, ONLY if you go to the budget dorm which is 19$. Then it starts at 25$. Even with a nomads card it is 22$. And then the prices go up from there.
They screwed up my reservation, which they didn't apologize for, I was orginally in the budget dorm but only booked me in for one night, when I was supposed to stay for two, so they switched me in for the next day to an 8 bed dorm which was 25$. You can find cheaper places with way better quality. Like the BBH hostels. I recommend those forsure! Cheapest hostels I've found and most of them are pretty good hostels!

The room was a mess, and the kitchen stunk and it was bloody hot with no window and I mean HOT!. It was also extremely loud!! The rooms have each there own kitchen, which you think would be good, but when you are trying to sleep and other people are coming in and making food and yelling cuz his butter was stolen, its quite irritating!!!! I'd rather have one common kitchen that everyone uses.

ALSO, my pillow was so god damn lumpy, I switched it with my sister, (who stayed there for one night before going back home), her pillow was a bit better but then I found out it had ear plugs in it! GROSS!

And because they messed up my reservation and had to switch rooms, of course I had to check out at 10am, then however could not get into my room until 1pm, so they could clean it, which ok is understandable, just sucked because I didn't get to sleep until after midnight and had to get up at 3:00 to take my sister to the airport so I didn't get much sleep! However, at the BBH hostels, they will just put u right in the room no matter what time you get there. And when I checked in at 1pm, they gave me my key and I was trying to be positvie hoping that this room would be better. I get to my room, and it is a mess, the cleaners were in there and being loud and obnoxious and didn't look like they even started cleaning! And one of the cleaners were sitting around on the couch reading a magazine. So meaning I couldn't sleep at one like I wanted to! So now, I'm sitting at the hostel, writing this review! The only good part of this hostel is the cheapest internet I've found on my trip to New Zealand, but that doesn't make up for this crap hostel.

• Stayed February 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

This placed was the worst backpacker I've stayed at in a western country.

First, it was more expensive than ACB (Auckland Central Backpackers) even though our room was less than half the size of our room at ACB. The sheets were unmade and it was obvious someone had slept there the previous night and no one bothered to change the sheets. The bed itself was so old we could feel every single bed spring poking up.

The kitchen and lounge were old and dirty, but that didn't actually bother me. What bothered me was when the shower drain clogged up, flooded the entire floor, and left the floor with only one working toilet.

When the staff came to clean it up, they were being loud and grumpy. Another guest politely asked them to keep it quiet because some people had already gone to sleep for the night, and he ended up getting attitude from the grumpy staff guy.

To sum up: expensive, old, dirty, broken, and rude staff.

I wish I could give a "zero" rating.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

Just terrible!! Was the first hostel we stayed in whilst in New Zealand and overall travelling!! Definately a bad start!! Would never recommend it ever! Our sheets were very badly stained and the room was an absolute tip! The bathrooms stank and didn't lock. I'd be surprised if anything was ever cleaned in this hostel. Being first time travellers we wanted some comfort in the thought of somewhere to lock our bags away. There was, but where you fix a lock, all were broken. We were not impressed to see that whenever we came back both the main door and our bedroom door were open to anyone walking past.
This hostel is just dreadful, as other people have said, spend a bit more money and go somewhere else, at least to Nomads Fusion which is a hell of a lot better and probably not much more expensive! We have been travelling for 3 months now, all in hostels, and Nomads Fat Camel was the worst we had and we were in 100 bed dorms on an island in Fiji!!
Oh yeah and we also met someone who's bag had been stolen whilst he was checking out. Just another reason NOT to stay here!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

this hostel was so bad. the sheets were stained and the room hadn't been cleaned (there were still dirty cotton wool buds in the bin). tiny room. and the window didn't close properly. we Didn't end up even sleeping here.
Spend the extra money and stay somewhere decent

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auckland
Nomads Auckland Backpackers Hostel
#10 of 54 in Auckland
Auckland Harbour Oaks
Auckland Harbour Oaks
#181 of 263 in Auckland Region

Been to Nomads Fat Camel Hostel? Share your experiences!