“you get what you pay for!”

Auckland Rose Park Hotel
Ranked #31 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 8 July 2012

As many have said, I chose this room because of the price and location for an overnight stay. It was a tired room but superficially looked quite clean - until I took the cups out of the cupboard that is! An obvious stain on the outside of the cup that should have been noted by housekeeping. The next problem was a bit more significant - no hot water to the shower! So much for a quick getaway - baths instead of showers, and a rubber bath mat that should have been binned years ago. Sadly I didn't experience the friendly staff that others have reported - on reporting the lack of shower, I got a mere "I'll let maintenance know" with no hint of apology.
So all in all, I won't be going back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We secured 2 rooms - 1 for my wife and I and the other for my 2 adult sons as one of them was going to see a specialist in Auckland and they are from the Hawkes Bay - on the Best Hotel Deals website - excellent deal at $59 each room - that was great value for money in my books - most other places would have been that for just one room - we have stayed there on probably 6 or 7 occassions and whilst the services are basic, they provide a roof over your head and that is the main thing - happy to recommend to anyone who is travelling on a budget and who can book a few weeks in advance

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I selected the Kingsgate because of the cheap rate - at $85 a night it was a steal, the position of being Parnell but far enough away to enjoy great views and be reasonably quiet to get a good nights sleep...and the availability of off street parking.

The rooms are very tired - not 100% clean - the bathrooms in particular have cracked tiles and mould. The first room I checked in to had stained sheets - called reception to be told by John that he was the only one on duty so could change the sheets but could change my room - which he promptly did. He was great and I felt sorry that he had to work with such an inferior product.

Asked at reception how the Wifi worked - to be told the only place it worked was in a little room at the entry to the accommodation wing - very disappointing - didn't work in the guest rooms.

When making the booking online the image of the room showed a balcony - so such luxury in either room - disappointing.

It wasn't the worst hotel I have stayed in - but it also wasn't the best - the staff were great - just let down by an inferior product that clearly is targetted at bus tours.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Have stayed at this hotel several times and have not been disappointed on any visit. It's a convenient location, walking distance to Parnell and the CBD. Has an open outlook over the gardens. Staff are friendly. Will continue to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KKlass
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Depending on why you are staying in Auckland, this place can be ok. It's NOT in the CBD, but opposite the rose gardens near to Parnell. If you only need a bed to sleep on and a shower to refresh, it's cheap accomodation. Tour buses do frequent this place, so some nights it can be fully booked. You'll definitely need a car, as it is quite far to walk to the shops and restaurants of Parnell, and the CBD is a taxi ride away. But good thing is there's free parking on site (make sure you display the ticket from reception on your dashboard).

Yes, the decor is outdated. Stayed here also in 2008 and 4 years on nothing has changed or been upgraded. Still the same old bedspreads and crappy tv's. Mattress was ripped on the side. I wouldn't come here for a special occasion. But it's handy to Vector arena. I'm guessing this place books up fast when there's a concert on.

I'd recommend this place to those travelling on a budget, with a car. There is another motel/hotel just up the road that has nicer rooms, so do check that out as well.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty with stairs, mention this to reception so they can get you either a ground fl...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The wife and i Stayed at 5 different Hotels on our trip to Auckland from Wellington. Yes its an older hotel and sure it gets old just like we do But it still has many things going for it. First of all we found it clean, and good for parking and making a base to explore from. The Rates were very good but most of all the Staff were very obliging And the Food was good. We will book again on our next trip to Auckland.

Room Tip: Stay on 2nd or 3rd Floors
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at Kingsgate Parnell and by coincidence also got the same room. Again I found myself longing for a paintbrush to brighten up the interior as it is a little dated, in a bland sort of way and the carpet worn by the door. If you like retro the bathroom is actually a really cool shade of pink tiles. Although like shanzx says the shower head is pretty low, I found it fairly strong. The main attractions of this hotel are that it's close to Vector Arena, either a 15-20min walk (with kids) or a short bus ride only $1.50 to Queen St. When we got a taxi back from Vector it cost about $8. Also it's good value, our rooms were $99 each including breakfast for 2 people. When we went to breakfast it was very busy but the staff took the same care to set the cutlery for the kids as for any other guest. I would agree there are probably more modern places to stay but the rooms were a good size and seemed clean enough and my room was actually pretty quiet. For families I would recommend it as a decent option, our kids loved it and had a great time and I would stay there again. Excellent scambled eggs.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family