“great base in the city”

Econo Lodge City Central
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 1 September 2011

If you only have a day to take in the city before flying out of the country and don't want to spend a heap of cash, then this hotel is for you. Our flight out was delayed which meant staying in the city for the night. We weren't picky about our accommodation. Our only requirement was that it's in the cbd and good rate. This fit the bill to a T. Centrally located (hence the name I guess) we didn't worry about transport and walked around town. So convenient, it's right across the Aotea Square which is replete with restaurants, food courts, cinemas and we even caught a show in the evening. It's a leisurely walk to the harbour where you can take in the impressive view of the yachts. Easy to see why Auckland is called the city of sails. Auckland itself is gorgeous and very clean. The hotel staff was warm, friendly and accommodating and helped us get the best rate for our taxi ride back to the airport. They have charge back arrangements with a few restaurants close by so that was convenient. Being right in the centre means putting up with the noise. Surprisingly, the city noise on the second floor was a mere muffle. The room was a bit tiny but we didn't mind it as we only spent our sleeping hours there. Comfortable but not for a long stay.

Room Tip: I think if you book well ahead of time you will get what you ask for. We booked on the spot and stil...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2011

A very simple room with limited space; included a very small desk, bar stool and television. The bathroom was also very small although had everything required. The noise from outside on my first night was too loud and I did have to ask to move to the other side of the building for the remainder of my stay. The room on the quiet side of the building was better for noise, but, the wind from outside kept me awake at night. Breakfast was included in the price of my visit and was simple yet filling. Internet was available, but, simply checking emails each night tended to cost more than I expected. I used this hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor; I would recommend staying elsewhere for a good nights sleep.

Reviewed 25 March 2011

We had three single beds in our room, all very comfy. Compact room at rear of hotel. Air con unit was a bit noisy but necessary as rather stuffy. Excellent shower. Wardrobe housed kettle, small fridge, hair dryer and iron/ironing board. Everything we needed but with no frills. Good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Just what we needed for our last night in NZ, plenty of space to sort our luggage out before the long trip home

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My first night here was on my own in a standard room. It was very compact, fine for one person but I think it would be very uncomfortable for more than one person. The bathroom in the standard room wasn't too great - the shower head was quite low so I had to bend over to wash my hair (and I'm only 5'6). But it was clean and comfortable for one.
After that I moved to a triple room (3x singles) for four nights which was much roomier. Our room only had a small window which didn't open, so we had to leave the air-con running most of the time to get fresh air.
This hotel made a great base for attending a conference at the Sky City Convention centre, which is literally only about a minute's walk away. Our room was booked through the conference which had organised free breakfast at the hotel in the morning (continental) which was so handy. Aotea square and Queen St are very close. The staff were friendly and helpful too.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

We arrived in Auckland, and were very impressed with just how central the City Central Hotel was. It is in a very good location, right in the middle of Auckland CBD. The check-in staff were very friendly and helpful. However, when my work colleague and I went up to our Double Room, we were very disappointed. It was so small that we couldn't fit both of us, and our suitcases, in the room at the same time. The room itself was clean, but just very small. We ended up checking out and checking in to a larger hotel, as the hotel was fully booked and did not have any larger rooms. I would recommend booking either a family room or a suite if you are planning on sharing with someone other than a partner. Even though we didn't end up staying at this hotel, the staff were very helpful. I would recommend this hotel for solo travellers, but I would not recommend that two people stay in a double room, as it is quite small.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I booked a standard room, which was pretty small - no room for my yoga mat - but as a base from which to attend an event at another (much more expensive) hotel it was ideal. The shower had great water pressure and there was all I needed to make my own breakfast before heading out for the day. Eco-conscious: I could choose not to have my towels and linen changed every day. The space wouldn't have been adequate for 2 people, but for a solo traveller it was fine. As a bonus, this is the first hotel I've ever stayed at that had decent (ie not generic) art on the room wall and in all the public spaces.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business