“Handy Location”

Ranked #49 of 65 Hotels in Auckland
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
“Handy Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Good basic accommodation near the city centre.

Nothing flash but clean and tidy and quite suitable for our needs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WoodyNZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed here while we were in Auckland for the Taylor Swift concert. We got a room with our flybuys (loyalty card programme) and then upgraded to a one-bedroom apartment. The location is really excellent, you can walk to any central Auckland attractions - we walked to the Vector Arena no problem. The staff are helpful, the rooms were clean, breakfast was really decent, there is a good parking arrangement with the parking building next door. If you want a luxury hotel with loads of facilities (swimming pool, lobby bar, restaurants etc) this is not the place for you. But if you're looking for somewhere decent to sleep in a good central location, give this place a try.

Room Tip: Look for a room away from the Wellesley St/Albert Street corner - the wail of sirens and confused dr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CantonaForever
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Hotel has a perfect location in Auckland, in the heart of the city. Rates are good and breakfast is OK. Rooms are quite small but staff is very nice and helpful. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was a a bit shocked when I checked into my room. I had booked a twin room ( last minute booking and didnt check!) instead of a double - I was aware of this and it didn't bother me for two nights. The room was tiny. I had to push the twin beds together (they were about 30cm apart anyway!) and use one for my suitcase. The room was noisy ( especially as I opened the window for air - no fan or air con) and was very dated. I went out and when I got back spent an hour or so in the room but decided that I would rather sacrifice my money and move hotels.When I went to reception I was immediately given another key (without me explaining much at all!) The room was at the side of the hotel on a higher floor and had been renovated more than the original room, althouth was the same size.I found that it was pleasant enough and I had a great few nights sleep. Housekeeping staff were lovely, reception distant but efficient. Location is excellent although I would probably stay the harbour end of Queen St next time. In a nutshell - this is budget accomodation - my twin room was more like a backpacker room with my own bathroom but I got a good rate. The room is the smallest I have ever stayed in and would not be suitable for 2 people.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the road
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Masterton, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed when we had a concert at vector arena. Good location as an easy walk. Room small but clean. Wanted to open a window, but aircon worked well. No ventilation in bathroom, a fan would be good. Hard to park outside to check in, but there is a car parking building around the corner and hotel offers a good rate. Friendly staff at check in and out.

• Stayed February 2012
Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Room only had a sky light, no windows, but that was the only negative and probably contributed to the good nights sleep we had. Excellent price for 2 days. Full kiwi breakfast, was really excellent value and very satisfying. Bottled drinks could be bought from reception and we found the staff polite and helpful. Would certainly stay again!

Room Tip: if you have a lot of luggage pay for a bigger room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We wanted a long weekend in Auckland to dine out, catch a show and go over to Waiheke Island for the day. So we booked a double room at City central. Reception staff were pleasant and the foyer had nice decor. The room itself was small with little space and nowhere to sit except on the bed. Everything was very clean and as we were out most of the day the room size didn't bother us too much. Apparently a studio room is more spacious. All in all not too bad for the price we paid knowing that Auckland CBD hotels are dearer.

Room Tip: May pay to have a studio room which has more space.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends