“Small room, no windows, but very tidy”

Econo Lodge City Central
Ranked #50 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Rotorua, New Zealand
“Small room, no windows, but very tidy”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My daugther and I spent two nights here last week. We had asked for two double beds when booking and were told yes this was available. But on arrival were told, they had no rooms with two double beds. So had to take a room with two singles. Could change as it was a flybuys booking. Guy on desk was ok, but not overley pleasant or helpful. Mentioned that he would be giving us a bigger room. Hard to believe as fly buys only get standard rooms anyway. Room was small but still plenty of room for the two of us. No windows in room 403, just a skylight, never had that before! But very tidy and in good condition. Tho not keen on shower curtain. Breakfasts available at a reasonable price either cooked or contintental. Lovely lady in Restaurant. Parking is next door in Crowne Plaza hotel and is very handy walking distance and ok prices I guess. When checking out, staff were very helpful as we had lost parking ticket and generally there is a $35 lost fee. Lady on receiption got around this for us and we only had the $21 fee. Overall not a bad place to stay, but disappointed by no windows and "muck up" with bed sizes. But very central and so easy to walk down town etc. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Hastings, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Rooms are very small and cleaning wasn't up to the standard I would expect of a hotel. Mould around the bath tub and accumulated dirt on the formica surrounding the bath suggested a good scrub is long overdue. We were moved to a slightly larger room where the "clean" toilet still had poo stuck to the inside of the bowl. Not impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Palmerston North
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Garry Young (You) reviewed in the last week
Quality 1 / 3 Facilities 1 / 3 Service 0 / 3
I and five other people in the Hotel business used this extensively in the last 5 years. It is, or was, quite a good cheaper accommodation choice in the Auckland CBD. Over the years we spent over $40,000, just staying there, in all, over 300 room nights. The staff were ok, but one thing they always got wrong, was a late 12 noon checkout time. Without exception Housekeeping would always knock on the door at about 11am and say, it's checkout time, wow, why can't The front desk talk to Housekeeping, like us normal Hoteliers do. They always professed they did, believe me, they didn't. The proverbial excrement hit the fan last evening when for the very 1st time over a 5 year period, I dared to ask for a 1pm checkout, as I had a meeting at midday and wanted to do it in the privacy of my room. Well, I am so sorry I even asked. The so called receptionist said, you have to pay a half day rate, and was rude about it as well. Now, I know the rules of Hotels with checkouts, there are always exceptions. If in my Hotel I had a person requesting a 1pm checkout and he/she had used the Hotel on a very regular basis, I would bend over for them. The Hotel had very few guests, I checked. Why the hell would an arrogant reception guy want to lose an account for the Hotel which is over $8,000 a year. I can only assume his ego was so huge, he wanted the last say. The people I put through there will now be shifted to another property. Now Mr receptionist, you can go tell your boss you just lost him around $8,000 a year in revenue, you twerp. We will never grace the property again. I have also informed some people who are booked there, to cancel, they have. Garry Young Hotelier

Room Tip: No helpful hints
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Garry Y
New Zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Very central to everything, therefore noisy, take some earplugs they work wonderfully. Staff very cheerful and helpful. Car parking available. 5-10mins walk to the Viaduct and harbour restaurants, or there are plenty right at the doorstep. The room very small but aren't they all in budget big city hotels!. Had a double bed, good shower, and TV.

Room Tip: Take some ear plugs, probably northern side would be less noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KiwiGranny
montreal
Reviewed 3 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for five nights the staff is amazing and very helpful, the assisted us with everything that we need.
The room that was first given was tiny and near the elevator ,so the staff gave us another room bigger (still small.). The room although small are clean and serviced daily
This hotel is centrally located near everything. There restaurant stores, ferry terminal, bus terminal are all at a walking distance.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank foxy86_love
Martinborough, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The room was perfect for my needs. Yes they are small, but at that price the location cannot be beaten. Very central, well presented, very clean and tidy, great shower. I would definitely go back, but would get one of the bigger rooms if travelling as a couple.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Frank C
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I found they have diff taps for hot and cold water. And how to u use warm water with this kind of taps. I don't know whether they have change it since we went in June 7 2012. Also i noticed they lowered their price after we left. Not sure if it is seasonal. Other hotels also did not change. Their heater is a portable one but it is very warm. Room is tiny with queen bed. Staff is not friendly nor forthcoming with any suggestions. The shower head is fixed to the wall which is very inconvenient for me too. Too expensive with this kind of facilities charging me NZ$129 for one night. Only thing is near to Queen street.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family