All reviewssky toweraotea squarequeen streetart galleryroom ratecrowne plazalocation is excellenttwin roomauckland cityshort staywellesleyatriumhairdryeriron
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our first night in New Zealand after 20+ hours of travel. It was just what we needed a hot shower and a bed. A good place for a short stay and a great value.

We left our camera in the room and called them a day later when we realized where we left it. thankfully they had it. We were grateful for the honest staff. I think the Econo Lodge City Central is a good option for lodging in Auckland.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We booked this room 2 days before our arrival and it costed us NZD150 per room (queen sized bed). Not exactly cheap for a 2-3 star standard hotel. We also had to carry our heavy luggage up the stairs into the hotel lobby. Overall, the hotel / motel feels like a hostel.

However, the rooms are not exactly as tiny as the other hotel which we stayed in. There was enough space to fit 2 big suitcases and 2 small hand carry. And best of all, it had air-condition! A small round dining table with 2 chairs, a small writing table and wardrobe filled up the rest of the room. Shower wasn't that fantastic and when you flush, the water pretty much wets half of the toilet seat.

Although we were only on the 2nd floor and facing the main road, it wasn't that noisy. The room was adequate for a one night stay before we head home.

Location wise, it was perfect. A mere 5 minutes' walk to the Sky Tower and another 10 minutes or so to the harbour front. Plenty of restaurants just outside the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2013

First shock was when entering the room. Room was so small that I could hardly fit a suitcase between the wall and the bed. No storage space, one shelf made out of particle bord, wardrobe had folded door as normal wouldn't fit. Bed was about 20cm smaller than normal bed as my feet were sticking out of it. Bed was so soft that when I laid on the edge I was falling off it. Bathroom was even worse, sink the size of my hands, wouldn't fit between toilet and the sink (even though the sink was miniature size!!), shower had stainless steel floor similar to public showers atr the beach. On the arrival I couldn't get the hot water going, so I called staff. They told me that because they haven't got many guests it takes time for water to arrive. When it finaly did, I couldn't mix the water, it was either burning hot, or freeezing cold. The flow of water was alos just the trickle. No airconditioning, constant noise from the outside cooling tower units as the windows were not blocking any outside noise. TV had only local 5 channels, so no entertainment. After travelling whole world including Africa, Asia, America, Eastern Europe this was the by far the worst hotel experience of my life. Avoid for all costs!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We booked through Expedia a nice room, but when we arrived the room we got was a shoebox- not even enough space to put our suitcases!
I called Expedia only to be told its not their fault so there is nothing they can do and its not their fault as the hotel provides the photos for the rooms.

We asked at the front desk to change rooms only to be told they were fully booked except a couple of rooms that would cost 50% more than we already paid!

TERRIBLE SERVICE ALL ROUND

Luckily the next morning we asked again to change room and were given a better room by the lovely lady on the front desk (Merri)
She saved our stay and if it wasnt for her actions this would be a scathing review.

Room Tip: do not book a standard room- they are tiny and old. book a king or balcony room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Centrally located (you can walk to most of the downtown area from this hotel), super clean and very helpful staff. Small rooms, but I would consider it a value for the price I paid. I would definitely consider returning to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business