“Good value and great location”

Econo Lodge City Central
Ranked #49 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Good value and great location”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My first night here was on my own in a standard room. It was very compact, fine for one person but I think it would be very uncomfortable for more than one person. The bathroom in the standard room wasn't too great - the shower head was quite low so I had to bend over to wash my hair (and I'm only 5'6). But it was clean and comfortable for one.
After that I moved to a triple room (3x singles) for four nights which was much roomier. Our room only had a small window which didn't open, so we had to leave the air-con running most of the time to get fresh air.
This hotel made a great base for attending a conference at the Sky City Convention centre, which is literally only about a minute's walk away. Our room was booked through the conference which had organised free breakfast at the hotel in the morning (continental) which was so handy. Aotea square and Queen St are very close. The staff were friendly and helpful too.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sydney
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We arrived in Auckland, and were very impressed with just how central the City Central Hotel was. It is in a very good location, right in the middle of Auckland CBD. The check-in staff were very friendly and helpful. However, when my work colleague and I went up to our Double Room, we were very disappointed. It was so small that we couldn't fit both of us, and our suitcases, in the room at the same time. The room itself was clean, but just very small. We ended up checking out and checking in to a larger hotel, as the hotel was fully booked and did not have any larger rooms. I would recommend booking either a family room or a suite if you are planning on sharing with someone other than a partner. Even though we didn't end up staying at this hotel, the staff were very helpful. I would recommend this hotel for solo travellers, but I would not recommend that two people stay in a double room, as it is quite small.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I booked a standard room, which was pretty small - no room for my yoga mat - but as a base from which to attend an event at another (much more expensive) hotel it was ideal. The shower had great water pressure and there was all I needed to make my own breakfast before heading out for the day. Eco-conscious: I could choose not to have my towels and linen changed every day. The space wouldn't have been adequate for 2 people, but for a solo traveller it was fine. As a bonus, this is the first hotel I've ever stayed at that had decent (ie not generic) art on the room wall and in all the public spaces.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank greatkiwipoet
China
Reviewed 15 October 2010

The room was extremely small like a jailhouse, we needed to move the beds together and move the only small chair to the bathroom in order to fit our two luggages and we still tripped over our luggages. And as it was during renovation, the whole floor was filled with the bad smell too, so was the room. We requested for a change of room but couldn't as the hotel was full. Yet, the worst part was the noise from THE ROAD and OTHER GUESTS the whole night. You could basically help to tally how many trucks, buses, cars passed by (though we're already up on the 5/F) and there were some drunk guests wandering in the corridor, shouting, and knocking on our room's door!!
I would NEVER EVER go back to this hotel anymore.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank AAA_traveler_10
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Location location location. Fairly priced. Clean. Friendly and attentive staff. Ear-plug could easily sort the noisy nightlife. Comfy old bedding and deco. They are in midst of renovation at time of my visit , and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Mendham, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The hotel is in a great location for seeing Auckland. However, the rooms are very small and definitely need an update. Also, the staff was friendly and helpful. But I would only recommend this hotel if you want to stay in the heart of the city and are on a tight budget

• Stayed April 2010
London
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We booked into this hotel, as a result of flight delays due to the Icelandic volcano in 2010. The staff were very understanding and supportive, given the unpredictable situation we found ourselves in. The location is very convenient right in the heart of Auckland city. The room wasn't very expensive and the standard of the room was good.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple