“Quite, nice and tidy hostel.”

Freemans Lodge & Apartments
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The hoste has a nice atmosphere, because it is so small. Rooms and facilities are clean and staff/manager is very friendly. Internet/WiFi works most of the time. I enjoyed my stay a lot. Thank you very much :))

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Stubbor

Reviewed 17 April 2013

We have enjoyed our three-days stay in Freemans Lodge! It was our final destination before leaving back home from NZ and comparing to other two backpacers we have lived in Auckland, this one was the best. Group of young Asins cleaning the lodge all the time, free unlimited wi-fi, fine kitchen and very firm double bed, quiet at night. Would stay here anytime again!

Room Tip: Room 0 is noisy from the street
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dalibor84
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We arrived at Auckland in the middle of the night and had booked a twin room before. It was no problem to get our room, even at midnight. Everything was ready for us and we could take a shower and get some sleep.

The hostel is not the biggest, but it has two kitchen areas, so you will always find a place to cook. There are two lounges as well, one has a big TV, the other has two internet PCs. Also WiFi is completely free here. It is really clean here, the vacuum the place every day and clean up the kitchens and the bathrooms.

We felt very welcomed here and the staff was really nice. Seema the manager helped us a lot with getting started on our trip to New Zealand. She even gave us a ride to her other Backpackers when we moved there!

We can definitely recommend to stay at this hostel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HeikoK264
Reviewed 30 March 2013

It was amazing hostel ever! Nice, clean, tidy and a warm friendly atmosphere. Helpful staff gave a great intro to the area. Room was comfortable. The owner was really nice and friendly, and genuinely seems to care about her guests. I felt very much at home and the location is really good. Can't recommend it highly enough!

4  Thank John D
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Freemans Lode is a tidy and comfy hostel in a quiet area.
The manager and staffs working there are so friendly. They are only more than happy to help me whenever I have any problems or questions. During my 14 days in North island, I always stayed to the lodge every time I went back to Auckland.

1  Thank Cynthia H
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This place is pretty awful. Security is really, really lacking. People can very, very easily climb into your room, my room door was not capable of closing unless you locked it with the key, there was a big gap underneath the room door (which lead right outdoors) so smoke would come right into the room when people smoked outside my room. I was eaten alive my mosquitoes while trying to sleep, the bed was quite uncomfortable (and I'm not picky about beds) and my sheets were a bit damp -- what the heck! The free wifi only worked about half of the time (it would regularly kick me and many others I talked to in the hostel offline for no apparent reason). The owner is almost never around (owns 2 hostels in Auckland) and doesn't offer any info or tips about the local area and what there is to see/do. This place is simply not nearly up to the standards of most NZ hostels. I would very strongly advise you to stay elsewhere!

2  Thank Julie F
Reviewed 17 March 2013

A very nice hostel close to the city centre but still in a quiet location. The staff is really friendly and helpful and the facilities are pretty good and clean. The hostel isn't too big so the atmosphere is really nice. There is a comfortable lounge to relax and also some computers which can be used for free and also free wifi. The next big supermarket is only a 10 minute walk from the hostel and on Ponsonby Road which is a 5 minute walk there are a couple of unique shops and cafes.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends