“False advertising”

Ranked #11 of 58 Auckland B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“False advertising”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The only reason I chose this place was for the 'Free High Speed Internet'. Unfortunately it only worked 5% of the 4 days that I stayed. When I asked the staff about it they just smiled and said it's like that sometimes. Fix it or don't advertise it! The accommodation itself is very dated and has some low quality renovations. In the bathroom only 1 out of 3 sinks worked and the soap dispenser leaked soap onto the floor. In my room there was a tv that didn't work, broken coat hangers and some spider webs. I would not recommend this place at all. The YMCA in the city center is cheaper and properly maintained.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank catadvisor09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at this accommodation for a week and had a good time because of cleaned facilities and friendly staff.
In addition, we can use unlimited Wi-Fi which is convenient!!!!
If I go to Auckland again, I'll stay at this accommodation as well.

• Stayed April 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights during my business trip. I booked a single room which suppose to provides TV, Iron, Microwave, sink and fully furnished with linen & towels.
BUT the room I was given doesn't provide anything, just a bed. But I only need was a bed and towel so asked a stuff to give me a big towel. The towel I was given smelled like old man! I left it in the room while I'm away and the whole room smells the towel when I came back...

Also I was bitten by something more than 20 places. I told the owner after checked out by email and she said there's no insects in the room because a couple stayed the room after I left weren't bitten.

I would never stay Freemans Lodge to anyone else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank masaosada
Oxford
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I think this is the only one-star review I have ever given on tripadvisor. But I found this hostel to be truly awful.

The smell was enough to put me off when I walked in: it smelt of dirt and sweat. My room was similarly smelly and also dark and insecure.

I left as soon as I could.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank bluecastle
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Freemans backpackers, is great value for money. The location is great for the CBD with a 30 minute walk down hill to the bottom of Queen Street. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable, the bathroom could do with a revamp and paint job.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We have been in New Zealand 5 weeks and have stayed in some really fantastic hostels. Unfortunately Freeman's Lodge was a bit of a let down after reading such good reviews on tripadvisor. The staff were great and very friendly but the hostel was in need of some TLC. We understand that it is budget accommodation but the rooms and kitchens were very dated and not particularly clean. We didn't notice the bathroom getting cleaned in the two nights we were there and at one point there was no toilet paper. The garden could have been a really nice area to sit out in but unfortunately it just looked untidy with cigarette butts scattered around. Perhaps we came at a busy time and therefore didn't see it at its best.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank jenjenatkins
Sundsvall
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Of all the hostels I have stayed at in NZ, Freemans is the best.
It's maybe not the newest or the most modern place, but it is very cozy and comfortable and the location is super. It takes around 10 minutes to walk to the city.

The kitchens are a bit small but it works, and they only have 3(?) bathrooms and 3(?) showers but since it isn't such a big hostel it's more than enough.
It's also quite cheap if you compare to other hostels in Auckland.
The tv isn't that good either but it works.

I would definitely stay at Freemans again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple