“Great location”

Oaklands Lodge Backpacker Hostel
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hostel is very clean, and in a quiet street in Mt Eden, close for you to walk to the top of Mt Eden. Has small shopping centre, and a bus stop close by. I stayed here one night in the single room, my only complaint is that no one observes the be quiet after 10.30pm signs that are around the hostel. The hostel was very noisy with people slamming doors and talking loudly, I think the manager should talk to the girl in room 11 as she was the worse. She must have been staying there awhile and had people coming and going from her room talking, it was after 1am before things were quiet, and I could get some sleep. I tried to get the girl from room 11 to be quiet, but she wasn't having it. She should have gone to the lounge room for her conversations, as the room walls are thin and you hear everything, I know the people on the other side of me weren't impressed either, as they had an early flight the next day. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again, but I if it was as noisy as it was when I first stayed , would try and find something that wasn't as noisy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
OaklandsLodge, Manager at Oaklands Lodge Backpacker Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2016

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed 2 nights when we first touch down in New Zealand. The manager Alex was very friendly n helpful ( n handsome!!) :) We leave here for few days to stay at another bbh, but finally v came back again. I love their environment n those facilities. Kitchen was big enough for all ppl to cook at the same time. Clean n comfort everywhere in the house n room n bathroom. Bus station just at the corner at that street. Countdown ( market) just within 20mins walk. The famous Mt. Eden within the walking distance as well. A must visit place in Auckland!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed a short night arriving late and leaving early the next day. However, from my experience staying at a few hostels in Auckland previously, I would say this is the best one so far that I've been in. I was in the 8 bed dorm. There are no bunk beds in there which was great. I noticed the place was quite busy and most of the people staying there know each other probably from staying there for some time. Also had free 200MB wifi.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 June 2013

The staff was very friendly at first. The facilities were great and clean. We got free wifi what was very awesome, there is a tv/ reading erea. We even could stay for the day because our plane was leaving so that was very great. Transport to the city is very cheap and easy just that the purple one and they drop you of in the city centre for 1,8 dollar.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Firstly the staff are excellent. They are friendly and go the extra yard to help you. johnny gave us great advice on our plans for a camper van trip, which was greatly appreciated. There are nights out organised which are good craic, get involved! The kitchen is really big and there are freezer bags you can use so food does not get mixed up.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Oaklands Lodge is like a home far from home... I love this place! The staff is really friendly and helpful, the house is great, really clean, nice rooms and kitchen and it's located in one of the most charmy suburbs of Auckland. If you stay at this hostel, don't miss the chance to climb Mt Eden to check the beautiful view of Auckland city.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I ended up staying at Oaklands Lodge by accident as the place I usually stay was full. I was met on the way in by the manager and greeted like I was a friend. That set the tone for my whole time there, I was going to say it was like being at home but it was more like being at a best mate's house, so relaxed and friendly. The managers were always available to help with any queries and there were lots of organised outings, pool comps, pub quizes etc, which everyone was encouraged to attend, which added to the really good, comunal atmosphere around the place. The facillities are all in great shape, with a big spacious kitchen, comfy living room with big tv, loads of books and games for lazy days around the lodge. i can't really find any faults with the place and will deffinately stay there next time I need somewhere to stay in Auckland, great job guys, keep up the good work :)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 16 and found it quiet and warm. everyone else seemed happy with their rooms too.