“Suits Backpackers..”
Review of YMCA Hostel

YMCA Hostel
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Is ok kinda stay suitable for backpackers and not families I would suggest, no option of ensuites with toilets, shared kitchen closes as early as 10.30pm, in that budget u can get something better..............

• Stayed: April 2013
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Our Hostel is suitable to everyone, we do provide one family room with an ensuite facility as well, (which is a top seller) and I'm sorry if we didn't communicate to you. Our kitchens close at 10.30pm; however, we provide a Dining room with a Microwave. Kettle, TV and Toaster for 24 hours. Additionally, our rates are studied and benchmarked carefully so we never have any abusive price.

Once Again thank you for your feedback, I appreciate the time and effort you have put into it.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Good choice for a budget stay,single room clean with clean fridge.Shower spotlessly clean as were toilets.Staff always happy to help.Good location for city centre quarter of an hour walk to Skytower
Only downside Auckland is the hilliest city Ive ever visited.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kevin h
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Happy you consider YMCA Hostel to be a good choice of accommodation.

Kind regards.
Centre Manager.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed for 5 nights in a single room. Room was basic, but very clean and spacious. Included a cupboard, single bed, desk and bar fridge (large enough to fit groceries). Hostel was well located, approx 20 min walk to viaduct harbour. Was close to lots of dining places so easy to grab a quick bite in the morning/evening. Was also walking distance to Ponsonby and the Domain. Staff at reception were very friendly upon arrival and happy to answer questions about Auckland and NZ. Only complaint is that the walls must have been very thin as I could hear people talking in adjacent rooms/the hallways during the evening and early morning which disrupted my sleep. There was also noise from nearby washing machines late at night and in the morning (although the washing facilities were shut at about 10pm and re-opened at 6am). There was also a spacious lounge with a pool table and tv on the ground floor. Bathrooms and toilets were clean and I never waited to use them.
Would probably stay again- biggest complaint is noise from other guests (just general talking, there was no issues with loud/drunknen behaviour at all). Other people staying there were mainly students.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.

We found your feedback to be very complete and constructive, glad you found our accommodation to be clean and with a good service.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I admit I am not such a hostel addicted. However, YMCA-Auckland is not simply a hostel. It is a safe and very clean place. Of course you have to share some facilities, but mantainance people are really very efficient and shared bathrooms and shower are always clean. I stayed in a single room and it was good enough. Internet connection has to be separately paid, but it is not so expensive. The place is very close to the center and it is definitely impossible to get a cheaper hotel in the nearby. The receptionists are so nice.
My experience is really very good!!!"

Room Tip: If you can choose, prefer floors where the kitchens are not located, to avoid food smells; otherwise...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank adviser82
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate all your comments and very glad you found us to be a 5 Star Hostel.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed a 5 nights in February and I found that the facilities were kept clean even with the renovations being done to from what I saw to the exterior of the building.

I had single room, although some may view it as basic, it had everything that I needed which included fridge, space to hang your clothes and shelving to put everything else. The only downside I could say about the room was that it could stuffy by the end of the day due to having closed up, but if you opened your window and had your door opened a jar for a while it fixed the problem.

From the hostel I was able to walk to all the places I wanted.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Tricia H
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your feedback.

Our aims was to renovate but keep the Cleanliness standards, the Housekeeping team is really pleased with your comments. In regards the room, I'm glad you have everything you need, all the rooms in YMCA Hostel contain a desk and chair, fridge, Wireless connection, Wardrobe, and we provide all the linen (including towels).

This summer (2013) has been at least the best summer in the last 5 years, New Zealand usually has a mild summer and we were not expecting such high temperatures, however, we do provide Fans at the reception and I'm sorry if it was not communicated to you.

Once again thank you very much for your comments.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I have booked 17 nights in this hostel and I can say that I have made positive experience.
Helpful staff, very good location - 5 minutes walking to city link and inner link bus stop - a lot of clubs in the area, also a brothel and fire station :)

Clean room and shared bathroom, normal walls (not thin as expected), cheap price for single room. It has been little bit noisy during nights because of the main street but it didnt bother my sleep.

Wifi connection was working (some few minutes outages occurred).

I did not like the bed because of the grids on both ends (Could not sleep on the stomach).

If I will visit Auckland again Im sure which hostel I will choose. YMCA :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank rbbrno

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very happy you think staff is helpful, rooms are very clean and we are in a good location. Glad you stayed 15 nights and could experience a bit of our service. Apologise about the new beds, however, we do have other options in other floors were the bed does not have grids; we will make sure you have one of them if you come back to Auckland.

Once again thank you for your comments and ratings, very much appreciated by the team.

Centre Manager.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

YMCA staff are very friendly and very helpful. The place is clean and inexpensive. The location is perfect for everything. 10 minutes walk to the harbour and ferry terminal as well as all the shopping area. only 2 blocks away from city sky centre.

I definitely come back here and will recommend to friends and families.

Room Tip: stay on the 5fl. but if you are male choose 4th floor because there is no male toilet on the 5th flr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank mila i
YMCAhostel, Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your comments, we aim to have the best service in Auckland and I'm confident we are on the right track. We are nestled right on the City Centre and our rates are very affordable.

I'm glad you will come back, and I'm sorry for the inconvenient caused, usually guests do not have in another floor to use toilets, we are renovating the 5th floor so we have to block the shower, the positive aspect is that our 5th floor is almost done and looks amazing, we are forecasting to have everything done in a week so around the 12 of December 2012.

Thank you again.