“Beyond expectations”
Review of YMCA Hostel

YMCA Hostel
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've stayed in many backpackers but am always anxious about staying in a new one. The lady at the front desk was welcoming and very friendly, offered me a discounted rate for a single room which I accepted. The room was wonderful, good size for a one bed room. Bathrooms and showers were the nicest I've experienced in a backpackers.
Staff were always willing to help which I really appricated.
Will be staying here in future as the overall service and atmosphere was fantastic. Thank you very much~

• Stayed: May 2014
YMCAhostel, General Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

Yours Comments are extremely rewarding to our team, everyone in YMCA Hostel follow the Autonomy, Mastery and Purpose model where we create leader and not followers, our customer experience is based in companies such Google, Zappos and Apple. We will be very happy to have you back,

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I staid in YMCA for nearly a whole year.

Location: My choice was due to the great locations, so closed to Kroad (clubs and bar), so closed to the free red bus, so closed to fresh fruit, veg, meat Asian market, banks, few minutes to Hobson st, 5 mins walking down to the main square... Was one of the best location I could have gotten.

People (staff): let's separate people who work at the reception, housekeepers, and security from who works at the office which is on the ground floor.
The first kind are really friendly and sociable not just to me (that I stayed a whole year) but to anyone, expecially the security guys in charge right now.
The office's people are just unbelievable, they are wearing a nice grey shirt with written YMCA and even if the saw me everyday more than once a day after a whole year they still don't say hi, forgetting that they are wearing YMCA's shirt so they are the imagine of YMCA more than a security guy that is wearing his own uniform...The office's people also use the facility (free pool) when actually people ( guest paying) are about to play... But thank God reception, housekeepers, security guys and also the Brazilian manager are really friendly always happy to help you or at least to say hi.

Facility: free pool which is good, nice little kind of park outside with tables perfect to relax for few minutes and watch some car being towed away, tv area downstairs, poolturnament plus free pizza sometimes, absolutely horrible dining area which is big like a single room but it's supposed to host all the hostel which is 5 floors, even smaller and crowdy the 2 kitchens with basic fires where to cook without 10 people you need to catch the perfect time, laundry rooms are ok they work well. Toilets and showers are fine and always clean. A mini convenience store downstairs will save you a lot of walk.

Peole (guest) : as everywhere else in the world you can find from the genius to the great idiot, international students, travellers, workers, or people of any kind.

Security: I felt safe with always awake security guys (expect long time ago when a lady was in charge) Security is in charge 11pm to 7am always happy to chat with you.

Complains: I complained just once about 2 things, and in few days time the solved everything out, the was great.

Conclusion : as my title says it's a "point of view" , but if you are young, ready to adapt yourself with many different people, if you don't like cook, if you like be in the centre of the very centre of Auckland, if you are able to find some trick to bring someone in your room without being against the rules, if you like to try the spicy part of Auckland which is a 85 seconds walking....then you are in the right place!

Room Tip: Greys ave side it's more relaxing, while Pitt st side is right in the middle of the corner and g...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
YMCAhostel, General Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

We Appreciate very much you recognise our Services and Location, it pays off the hard work that the team has put in. In regards the constructive feedback towards Office Staff, we will investigate further and improve in the best possible way.

Due to constraints in funds we have been upgrading the facilities step by step, at the same time, we are committed to make our YMCA The Best Accommodation In Auckland in its Category and I assure you, we will get there.

Once again thank you very much for your time writing this amazing feedback.

Centre Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2014

stayed at Room 326 from may 10th to may 17th 2014. Very nice place, good facilities, free local phone call, free sim card, phones on every floor enjoyed my stay. Nice japanese lady at reception checked me in and checked me out and very helpful. All other staff also very nice.
I later found out one website called easy to book.com offered 3 % discount . I earller booked straight by calling YMCA direct eliminating the agent/middleman but got no discount
as a marketing lecturer myself from Christchurch POlytechnic and originally from Malaysia, I feel this this is bad practice rarely seen in other western nations
I definitely should have got the 3% discount as I eliminated the agent and called direct
it is a small amount only I know but it is a matter of principle to create goodwill to customers.
But still, I would love to return and stay at YMCA again as it is a great place

My name is Sudhir Rajagopalan ( email: sudhirgopal@yahoo.com) or mobile tel 022-0919384 and would like a reply from Andrew Vidoto in the management regarding this no discount direct booking issue. Or I will call him later myself

Room Tip: stay in room facing grey avenue which is quieter and also room as close as possible to the toilet an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
YMCAhostel, General Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy you enjoyed the service provided by our Reception team, especially Romi. Glad you like the facilities too and we are honoured to host a YMCA employee from Malaysia. The rates you were in have a 37% discount from the rack rates, our weekly rate is consistent throughout the year and the 3% discount offered by third counterparts are not under YMCA Management and therefore the website is assuming the cost and the risk.

Unfortunately, this is out of our control and OTA’s ( Online Travel Agents) have the ability to promote a business the way they wish. I have also investigated the issue personally in all 18 websites we are in and could not find any extra discounts, perhaps it was just a special seasonal promotion.

Hope you understand the situation and we look forward to meeting you here again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at the YMCA for one week. It was better than great. I work in Takapuna when I come to Auckalnd so the location was excellent and the gym is right next door. The place is always clean despite the amount of people traffic and I am fussy about cleanliness. I never had to wait for a washing machine or drier. My bed was actually quite cosy and to be honest that was surprising. Hot showers made up for a couple of cool nights but I will definitely be back to stay. The costs are very reasonable and the staff were lovely. No suggestions but maybe more information about parking options.

Room Tip: I took the room I was given and wondered about womens facilities being on the next floor up. By the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very happy with your comments, glad you enjoyed our staff, rooms and facilities, we all work very hard to make YMCA Hostel the best Hostel in Auckland.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I spent a few months in the hostel as a long term resident and it worked well for me overall. What stood out the most was the great service, especially from Maria (the receptionist) who was very friendly and helpful the whole time I was there!

• Stayed: April 2014
YMCAhostel, General Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are happy you enjoyed your few months of stay, our team is professional and ethic and I could not expect anything else from Maria. We are glad you overcome several obstacles in New Zealand and we wish a very best for your travel and work plans.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed there for two weeks and enjoyed my stay at the YMCA. The bathroom and showers was perfectly clean and quite new...okay, the shower was designed for small people, big people (2m) need to crouch to get the head wet, but not a real issue.
The room is large enough, the furnishing quite old, but clean. You have your own fridge in the room. The bed is comfortable and you sleep well, even with the fire department next door.
Staff is friendly and during my stay we got free pizza on Friday, don't know if this is every week. :D

Would stay there again, recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 123_Benjamin_321
YMCAhostel, General Manager at YMCA Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused with the shower heights. Our rooms are all equipped with 90cm Mattresses which provides a more comfortable sleep, all the furniture has been recently changed.

Thanks for praising our amazing staff, Pizza nights happen once a month, however we do provide many others events, such as; Pool Competition, Themed events and Lazy Sunday Movies.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed at the YMCA for two weeks and I have no complaints. I am very fussy but the place was so clean, so well positioned and the staff was so nice that I can't say anything bad about it. If I will come back to Auckland I will definitely stay there again! Strongly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very happy about your comments, our team work hard to provide a clean and friendly environment. We all hope to see you here again.

Kind regards