“Unbelievably kind and effortlessly caring.”

Chalet Chevron Bed And Breakfast Hotel
Ranked #36 of 59 Auckland B&B and Inns
Rotorua, New Zealand
“Unbelievably kind and effortlessly caring.”
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I had driven 3hrs to get to Chalet Chevron and had lots of things to pack, in my haste I forgot my luggage and had only the clothes I was wearing, no tootbrush, nothing. It was 5pm on Good Friday so shops were closed. I could not believe it!!! As luck would have it this lovely lady running the B and B had a bag of her clothes ready for St VIncent de Paul so she let me rummage through that. Within minutes I had a few tops that would get me through my weekend. What are the chances of arriving somewhere where the owner is the same size as you, has the same colouring so I could borrow her clothes and makeup.
Unbelievably kind and effortlessly caring. I would definitely recommend staying there. They sorted out my dilemma without batting an eyelid. How does it get any better than that. It was a three day spiritual workshop I was attending and certainly all the strings were being pulled in my favour.

Room Tip: When I came they said I had been upgraded to upstairs with a better view. I had room 2 upstairs and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Siobhan F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver
Reviewed 17 May 2012

CHALET CHEVRON BED & BREAKFAST ### Brighton Road - Parnell Area of Auckland
This B&B is well located a block or so off Parnell Rd. where there lots of shops and restaurants and buses every 10 minutes or so into Downtown Auckland (about 1.5 miles if you’re walking). The University and Auckland Museum are less than a mile in the opposite direction. The B&B atmosphere is friendly and the rooms sunny. Kelly, the proprietor, is knowledgeable about Auckland, helpful and makes an excellent breakfast. Chalet Chevron B&B was a bit of a splurge after the Back-Packer hostels but good value. It was a great choice for our last two days in N-Z (we were happy to see the sun again). Parking on the street was not a problem and Parnell Rd. provides a fairly straight route to the airport. We stayed 2 nights.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have a view of the Bay. You may get an upgrade to a suite when they're not fu...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed here for one night at the start of our NZ holiday - wanting to stay in Parnell on this trip rather than right in the centre of Auckland we had tried booking a b&b which was full but referred us here. The owners were very friendly and the breakfast was superb - perfect cooked breakfast (done to order) in addition to the continental offerings. Lovely little dining/breakfast room as well. The room we stayed in had a nice view (helped by Parnell being up the hill!) and was perfectly adequate - it didn't have quite the charm or luxury of other b&bs I have stayed in across NZ, but clean and a good night's sleep. On the basis of the room, seemed fairly expensive - but a great location and a great breakfast, along with the friendly service, meant that we didn't really mind too much. Also, helpful good value taxi deal from the airport via the b&b.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here during the world cup. The hotel was way overpriced for the quality, and was the worst of all hotels we stayed at during our visit. The beds were uncomfortable and mattresses very soggy. The rooms looked like they hadn't seen any kind of update for many many years. The breakfast very poor, little selection of cereals and no service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank richard h
KellyandBarb, Owner at Chalet Chevron Bed And Breakfast Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for your feedback and comments relating to your stay with us during the recent international Rugby World Cup event. We are not sure however what you mean by "soggy" mattresses as we can assure you (....and indeed all of our guests) that our mattresses and other bedding are never taken out into the rain !!! Further all of our rooms undergo an ongoing maintenance and upgrade programme. For instance, our Double/Twin rooms on the Chalet's upper level have all had their bathrooms completely replaced and modernised over the last two years (.....except for the two with the full sized bath in the ensuite bathroom which a number of our guests enjoy and specifically request !!!). Finally, we must correct you with regard to your comments about our breakfasts for which we have been nominated for the "Best Brekkie to Wake up to in NZ" award in 2011 by an independant international accommodaion booking Group (please visit our website for more details on this award.) As you will no doubt recall after further reflection, our breakfasts consist of a range of six different cereals complimented by homemade yoghurt and both fresh and preserved fruits. As well as a variety of breads, fruit juices, tea and coffee and homemade muffins, we also offer (at no extra charge) a full cooked breakfast option which includes eggs (any way), bacon, sausage, tomatoes and mushrooms. You will also no doubt remember that on top of all of this, we then offer a "daily special" cooked breakfast which may be homemade ham and asparagus quiche or eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce or pancakes with bananas and maple syrup, all served at your table with a smile and perhaps a quip or a jovial comment about the weather or the state of a particular sporting team !!! As the Owner/Hosts, we pride ourselves here at the Chalet on our service levels so as to ensure that all of our guests truly enjoy their stay at our great little B&B Hotel with no request regarded as being too great or too small. Indeed, based on the numerous comments noted in our Visitors Book, we seem to achieve this objective on more occasions than not and thus, we are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations in this area.
The Chalet Chevron Owner/Hosts

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The place is decent and for a solo traveler, I was happy with the 10sqm room plus toilet for $100nzd a night. I think it's over priced. The breakfast was not very good - cereals and banana. The worst is that the couple who owned this hotel doesn't seem to be very warm to foreigners from Asia. Anyway, I won't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank walrustraveller15
KellyandBarb, Owner at Chalet Chevron Bed And Breakfast Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Thank you for your feedback and for your comments that Chalet Chevron is ideal for the solo traveller....we can only agree !!! We must however correct you with regard to your comments about our breakfasts for which we have been nominated for the "Best Brekkie to Wake up to in NZ" award in 2011 by an independant international accommodaion booking Group (please visit our website for details.) As you will no doubt recall....after making sure that you are reviewing the correct hotel (ie. we note that you purportedly stayed with us in June 2010 and yet did not write a review until July 2011 ??)...our breakfasts are legendary among our guests. These breakfasts consist of a range of six different cereals with homemade yoghurt and both fresh and preserved fruits. As well as a variety of breads and homemade muffins, we also offer a full cooked breakfast option which includes eggs (any way), bacon, sausage, tomatoes and mushrooms (...we also do 'special breakfasts" of omelettes, eggs benedict or pancakes with bananas and maple syrup on request.) As to your final comments, we pride ourselves on offering a warm and friendly welcome to all our foreign guests, no matter where they are from and the many positive comments found in our Visitors Book made by Guests from Japan, Korea, China, India, Singapore and the Philipines (....as well as many other countries around the world) would seem to suggest that we are succeeding in this endeavour.
We trust you find these comments helpful.
The Chalet Chevron Owner/Hosts
Feilding, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 March 2011

What a great place to stay. I hate sterile hotels but am very fussy about cleanliness and this place was amazing. I loved the room I had, I thought the velvet curtains and sparkly purple duvet were fantastic. The welcoming owners showed me around other empty rooms and I was torn about which was my favourite, the others had more modern decor and amazing views but... Bed was amazingly comfy, breakfast was stunning each morning and the view was worth just sitting and looking at. In the evenings it was wonderful to wind down in the spatious lounge, esp on the last night when I was on my own and really appreciated the company and friendliness

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Fiona0684
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I greatly appreciated the dedicated service and caring of the hosts of this great little hotel - Kelly and Barb. The love what they do and I found them excellent hosts. Everything I needed was provided - from bathroom bits and pieces and quality linens, to a wonderful choice of breakfast fare. Everything was very clean and comfortable. For the price, totally unbeatable. The hosts are real people who go out of their way to ensure your comfort.and provide inside information from long years of experience in the town - a gold mine of knowledge, stories and information. They simply couldn't have been more accommodating, courteous, friendly or obliging. N.B: Not for those who like the glamour and glitz and false smiles of 'professionals'. People like that would totally spoil the welcoming and family atmosphere of this beaut B & B. If you want clean, simple, straight forward, courteous service with excellent value, you couldn't go past the Chevron Chalet.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business