“Great cafe!”

Howick Historical Village
More attraction details
Owner description: Enter another era at this living museum, where costumed staff and 30 restored buildings recreate an early Auckland settlement.
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Had nothing else to do in Auckland so from recommendations from friends went to the historical village. The village was interesting to the point where I felt nostalgic.
After the trip to the village we took a stroll to the cafe where we were amazed by the cafe and it's food. The people who worked there were extraordinarily friendly and there was a cute boy who took our orders and told us much about New Zealand.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

A last minute "what shall we do today?" conversation led to the discovery of Howick on Tripadvisor, so the GPS was set and off we went.
I have to confess my expectations were not that high, but what a delightful place this is, we spent several hours there, including a very enjoyable lunch at the on-site cafe/restaurant.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful, providing kids with a quiz involiving clues and the collection of various coloured ribbons hidden throughout the village.
The village itself is well maintained and authentic, showing a variety of different types of dwelling and town buildings such as schools, a courthouse and a toy shop where kids can play with period games. Indeed, the village is very much hands-on as you wander though it - it's all very interactive, educational and fun.
Howick is a little way from the centre of Auckland but absolutely worth a visit. And, as mentioned, the cafe serves good food and cakes, ideal for a mid-morning break or a more substantial lunch. Can't fault Howick at all.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

C1 + G ( 2013.12.23 )
There was a good place to understand Kiwi's life about 100 years ago. There was not big place, but contents was good. Especially, the staff of there was very kind. The atmosphere was good, too. I and my family had good time in there.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Love the whole village setting. Love those historical toys that kids used to play before computers came along. My kids didn't want to leave! They wanted to play for a very long time but we had to keep moving or we won't see everything. Very educational. I can't believe they allow us to touch so many historical items that I think should be kept in glass cabinets. I had an amazing time touching lots of things n seeing how ppl lived a very long time ago. Such tiny shelters (or house)! I had to bend down to get in. Wonderful cottages n a grand mansion. Interesting 'supermarket' of olden days compared to what we have today. The cafe was wonderful. The curry was the best. As we came with a 3 yo n a 5yo, it took us full day. The kids took a long time at each place, they were taking their time looking n touching everything.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

A nice place to visit with the family especially with young children. Very educational. There are displays and exhibits you can really have a hands on with it. After the visit, you can relax at the cafe.