“Still in Auckland but absolutely stunning. ”

Manukau Heads Lighthouse
Ranked #49 of 265 things to do in Auckland
London, England, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Still in Auckland but absolutely stunning. ”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

The drive to the lighthouse was absolutely beautiful. As if you are driving down Canterbury with the rolling hills but with spattering of the coast in the background. It was like I was back in Iceland but only an hour and a half out of the city.

I've loved in Auckland my entire life and only discovered this upon my rerun back home. It is truly a wonderful place

Don't forget to go to Awhitu Regional Park as well to take a leisurely stroll to Brook Homestead. Home of the Homestead family who planted a many of the surrounding trees to celebrate something.

Make sure to stop by Waiuku on the way as well.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good day trip from Auckland”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Good day trip from Auckland. Nice easy drive 60 minutes one way. Great views of Auckland and the heads. Visit the Awhitu golf club for lunch. Good food and cheap, wished I had the golf clubs as it looked very nice on the course.

Visited March 2014
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A trip to Awhitu Peninsula guided by my Brother.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My brother lives in Waiuku and when we came to stay he insisted we had to come and see the old Light-house.

We waited for a fine day and one that wasn't too windy. We parked in the car park at the bottom of the hill and I noted the gates shut at 5:00 pm, I was then told how my Brother and his wife had managed to get themselves temporarily locked in one day as they had enjoyed it so much they had stayed longer than they thought. 15 minutes later the gentleman who lives at the Signal Station was on his way back in and let them out.

We walked up the path and road which has Flax plants on either side to the sound of the local Cicadas which have a buzzing sound followed by a double click. My brother managed to spot them and showed us the little black cicadas and you could see how they made their clicking noises.

After we spent a lovely hour up at the lighthouse and the lookout we slowly made our way back to the car.

He then took us to see Orua Bay which looks absolutely tranquil and has a Motor Camp and then on to Big Bay. We found out where Awhitu winery is and then went to Pollock to the Pollock Art Collective with it's eclectic and stunning art pieces.

From here it was back into Waiuku to see the black sands beach at the end of Kariotahi Rd. near Agave @ Castaways function centre. The sands are made of ferro-titanium-magnetite and are a source of ore for the local Steel Mill. The beach is a gazetted road and access North and south can be gained from this beach.

It was a great morning outing and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank GaryOfBrisbane
Waiuku, Waikato, New Zealand
“Anytime”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This a place to visit any time of the year at any time of the day. Amazing views, linked to historic events and having a snack with wonderful views.

Visited July 2013
Auckland Central, New Zealand
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Short Day Trip From Auckland”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is a really awesome place to visit. First time I have been. Not far from Auckland only about 1 and half hours. The view of the Manukau harbour and the Tasman Sea and surrounding country side is spectacular on a sunny day.

Visited October 2013