“A lot of room for improvement”

Auckland Hop On Hop Off Explorer
Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #41 of 164 Tours in Auckland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A lot of room for improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I always try to do a 'hop on hop off' tour when I arrive in a city as it's a great way to get around and you learn lots about the area. This is the worst one I have ever done.
It says it has full commentary, but it gives you very little, and what it does mention you have already read on the information sheet you are given. For the vast majority of the time there is no commentary, how about telling us the origins of the town or what you can see out the window?
That being said, the drivers were fantastic - they gave exact directions and made sure you knew when the bus would return. One also gave extra details - such as stopping momentarily to tell us about statues - the details I would expect from the commentary.
As it doesn't run into the late afternoon and evening, it is impossible to get around all the attractions giving them the time they truly need. It's also quiet expensive.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Informative but a bit disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I usually do a Hop On Hop Off tour when available to get a good grasp of a city. In Auckland, I enjoyed one route more than the other. On the second route, the main stop for me was going to be Mount Eden so that I could get a good view of the city and surrounds. As our bus approached the Mount Eden stop, the commentator said that from the drop off area it was a fair hike to the lookout point and there would be no shelter or sitting area up there and it would be another hour before the next bus came. Since I was traveling with 2 seniors who were not going to do the hike to the lookout and because it sounded like there would be no place for them to wait for me while I did the hike up and back, we decided not to get off. When the bus actually got to the Mount Eden stop we could see that there was lots of trees and shade close by where my friends could easily have waited for me but the bus was so quick to continue that we didn't have time to make the change in decision and get off. Also since that route only runs every hour I didn't want to take that much time out of our tour. I would recommend increasing the frequency of that route to every 30 minutes and allowing folks time to make a decision at that stop before continuing the ride.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank KellyKD
Thundersley, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Not enough time to visit places advertised”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We got to the bus stop by the Ferry Terminal, bought tickets and boarded the bus. Once the commentary started, we realised that we won't have enough time to visit a few places that the bus route runs.The last bus from the Museum leaves at 15.30hrs!! We only managed 2 hours in the museum, and that was rushing it. Other sites were only viewed from the bus as there isn't enough time to visit the Zoo, the sea world.
Other cities finish the buses late in the evening. On top of that, other. Cities run buses every 10 minutes whereas Auckland Hop on Hop Off runs Red route every 30 minutes and Blue Route run every hour!That does not give tourists enough time for venues without time keeping for the blue and red route buses.
This company should invest more buses. $40 per person is a high price for such low returns. We will not recommend this way of seeing Auckland to friends and family.

Melbourne, australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Some good some bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

There are some great stops on this service and some not so good.
It probably worth the 40 dollars, but start off early so you can see as much as possible.

Houston, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Don't Waste time or money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Had 1/2 day before our flight back to USA. The Information booth suggested the Bus..

Price was $ 40 NZD. Commentary was weak and because of trees and large bushes not

much could be seen even from the double deck bus for 1/2 of route and regular bus

for blue route. If you have time and will be stopping at a few landmarks you will be better served.

Otherwise I do not suggest this if you are just taking the 3 hr loop.

Visited February 2014