“OK, but not really worth $40”

Auckland Explorer Bus
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #55 of 170 Tours in Auckland Central
More attraction details
Owner description: See Auckland's top attractions with a 24 or 48 hour bus pass and hop on and off where you want. All passes include a free Devonport ferry ticket! Visit attractions including Kelly Tarlton's, the Auckland War Memorial Museum and the Sky Tower.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We often try the HOHO bus in a new city as a way to get an overview. The Auckland one has two routes, the central one and an extended loop - we only did the central one. There are a variety of coaches, we rode one that was a double-decker and one that wasn't. There was some recorded commentary as we rode, but really not that many sites of interest. Overall I would say it's not worth the price.

1  Thank Seattle98101
"different routes"
"civic theatre"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 16 April 2014

In every city that offers a similar service, I always recommend new-comers to give up the first morning, at least, for a city bus tour. Not only are you taken to places that you want to return to, but also those that once seen is enough. I was disappointed that the Auckland tour bus was not a open top, since I feel that this adds to the excitement and views. As it was, one route was a double decker with the other a single decker bus, with windows that did not make taking pictures easy. One highlight for me was seeing Eden Park Stadium and the various statues. On this route our driver supplemented the taped commentory and made the whole experience that much more enjoyable. My only grouse: buses were still running to summer schedule on 30th March, but the 10.30 am bus from by the Ferry Building did not turn up, and we were there on time, meaning we had a 30 minute wait. Not a big problem since we people watched and had a coffee, but unexpected.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I always try to do a 'hop on hop off' tour when I arrive in a city as it's a great way to get around and you learn lots about the area. This is the worst one I have ever done.
It says it has full commentary, but it gives you very little, and what it does mention you have already read on the information sheet you are given. For the vast majority of the time there is no commentary, how about telling us the origins of the town or what you can see out the window?
That being said, the drivers were fantastic - they gave exact directions and made sure you knew when the bus would return. One also gave extra details - such as stopping momentarily to tell us about statues - the details I would expect from the commentary.
As it doesn't run into the late afternoon and evening, it is impossible to get around all the attractions giving them the time they truly need. It's also quiet expensive.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I usually do a Hop On Hop Off tour when available to get a good grasp of a city. In Auckland, I enjoyed one route more than the other. On the second route, the main stop for me was going to be Mount Eden so that I could get a good view of the city and surrounds. As our bus approached the Mount Eden stop, the commentator said that from the drop off area it was a fair hike to the lookout point and there would be no shelter or sitting area up there and it would be another hour before the next bus came. Since I was traveling with 2 seniors who were not going to do the hike to the lookout and because it sounded like there would be no place for them to wait for me while I did the hike up and back, we decided not to get off. When the bus actually got to the Mount Eden stop we could see that there was lots of trees and shade close by where my friends could easily have waited for me but the bus was so quick to continue that we didn't have time to make the change in decision and get off. Also since that route only runs every hour I didn't want to take that much time out of our tour. I would recommend increasing the frequency of that route to every 30 minutes and allowing folks time to make a decision at that stop before continuing the ride.

1  Thank KellyKD
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We got to the bus stop by the Ferry Terminal, bought tickets and boarded the bus. Once the commentary started, we realised that we won't have enough time to visit a few places that the bus route runs.The last bus from the Museum leaves at 15.30hrs!! We only managed 2 hours in the museum, and that was rushing it. Other sites were only viewed from the bus as there isn't enough time to visit the Zoo, the sea world.
Other cities finish the buses late in the evening. On top of that, other. Cities run buses every 10 minutes whereas Auckland Hop on Hop Off runs Red route every 30 minutes and Blue Route run every hour!That does not give tourists enough time for venues without time keeping for the blue and red route buses.
This company should invest more buses. $40 per person is a high price for such low returns. We will not recommend this way of seeing Auckland to friends and family.