“Good Overview - Not Enough Time”

Auckland Explorer Bus
Book In Advance
More Info
US$33.59*
and up
Auckland Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #37 of 170 Tours in Auckland Central
More attraction details
Owner description: See Auckland's top attractions with a 24 or 48 hour bus pass and hop on and off where you want. All passes include a free Devonport ferry ticket! Visit attractions including Kelly Tarlton's, the Auckland War Memorial Museum and the Sky Tower.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We did the hop on hop off tour - both the red and blue ones for our one day in Auckland. The connection between the 2 tours was good with only a couple of minutes wait between buses. Since we were on the winter timetable (i.e. 60 min between buses); it was hard to plan the day to be able see the all that we wanted. Both drivers were very pleasant and provided commentary along the route - we would have liked additional historical perspective but on this kind of tour you cannot get everything. The tour provides the big picture overview of Auckland. If you have the time, additional days are either free or low cost. On the winter timeline, you really need to plan your stops. Would we do this tour again - probably. Our only issue was being short on time.

1  Thank Anne C
"change buses"
"full circle"
"different routes"

Reviewed 14 June 2014

As we were struck with pouring weather, we thought we would pass the time on the HOHO. In winter it only runs hourly and starts at 10 finishes at 4, so planning is a must. As we were on the Link bus, we realised we had missed the first bus out, so we quickly planned to stay on the Link bus to Museum.
So we went first on the Blue route. Just did a full circuit, and while the commentary is mildly intreresting, the stops really aren't. As we were the only ones on the bus,the driver just opened the door to let us get photos at Eden Park. At Mt Eden the bus doesnt go to the summit,so perhaps on a sunny day you would walk up, not sure if it would fill in an hour til the next bus though.

Back to the museum, we spent 2 hrs there, then took the last full route on the Red bus back to the Museum, and hopped on the link bus home. We found the drivers to be excellent and friendly, but it is quite expensive (like everything in NZ) the stops are not too interesting, and with a bit of planning you can get everywhere on the Link busses anyway. Also windscreen wipers upstairs would be helpful as well.

3  Thank jarox
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We are aficionados of hop on/off bus tours all over the world. This one had less commentary, history, tidbits than most. It may be that a lot of the interesting bits were in the downtown areas that we had to miss due to a big triathlon going on, no fault of the Explorer bus. The busses ran efficiently and went to lots of good places. We went to the MOTAT musuem and the Auckland museum. Didn't really get to spend enough time at either, trying to fit all of Auckland into one day, but still it was a nice overview and as always, a great way to get to know a city in a short amount of time.

1  Thank Hobnob_Hobo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hop on hop off tour has a really good selection of stops and was very convenient and efficient. The tour commentary was informative and interesting. Our favorite stops were the wharf, Michael Joseph Savage memorial gardens and Mt Eden. Auckland is a beautiful city and the tour really showed it to best advantage.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2014

It was a really rainy day in Auckland, so the tour gave me something to do while getting out of the rain. I did the one-day tour, starting with the Red Circle bus. Although some of the stops had to be cancelled due to the rain, they offered us a free second day free, which I thought was a good gesture (although I was leaving the second day anyways). I was pleased with the customer service and the fact that they were aiming to rectify what was going wrong, even though it was beyond their control. By the time I had stayed on the bus for a while, I switched over to the blue circle at the museum and when I arrived at Mt Eden where I wanted to get off, it had stopped raining. The time I was allowed at each stop worked perfectly (1 hour), so I did not have to rush, but it didn't seem like an eternity either. With my short amount of time that I have in Auckland, I am satisfied that I saw pretty much everything I wanted to see. Maybe would have been good if they had a stop on Ponsomby Road, but apart from that, it was a great service.