“Average”
Review of Ascotia off Queen

Ascotia off Queen
Ranked #53 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The only reason I would stay here again would be if everywhere else was full. It was just ok. We had a slighly cold welcome when we checked in. We went to walk in the front reception door to check into the hotel but we can't get in because we don't have a swipe card at this stage. The man behind the desk just stood there and was waiving a white card at us. He was trying to say through the window "use your card if you want to get in". Anyway he let us in by simply pushing a button at his desk which he should have just done to start with. No biggy but also not very welcoming. 4 tea and 4 coffee sachets which was just not quite enough. No teaspoons. 2 bottles of complimentary water in the fridge, 1 of the bottles was only half full. Room was very small and t.v was also very small and fixed on the wall offset from the bed. Now these things I didn't like but it's not the end of the world, I can kinda put up with them BUT what I can't put up with is getting woken up at 8am by the hotel playing music through the speakers in the hallway outside our room. This is totally totally unacceptable to be waking up guests with music that is completely unnecessary. I just can't understand why they would do this. If it was during the week I wouldn't mind so much because I would probably be up at that time but do you have to do that on a sunday morning? Cleaning staff also talking loudly outside our room early in the morning. No heater in our room so we had to make a trip down to reception to ask for a heater. Now once again, not a big issue but all of these things combined made our stay unpleasent. Apart from these things it's not too bad but I still wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Johnathanbeal:
Staff must have taken you as guest already checked in. Number of tea and coffee sachets or water bottles is not important issue and liberal volume is packed in each room now.Volume of music is reset at lower level for all floors.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Car parking - is not free. It costs $25 per day non negotiable. No internal access. Access is on the side of the building. No security.
Front desk staff who served us-no personality, but not unpleasant. When we checked out there was no conversation apart from the person asking whether I wanted the receipt. Check in whilst not much better, at least the guy who served us did his best to accommodate our needs, as he knew we were disappointed with the size of the bedrooms.

Rooms- Appallingly small. We booked a Queen room. The pictures featured made the rooms look spacious and modern. We were given room 303.
The bed was a few centimeters from the door. The bed filled the entire room. No wardrobe.
There were a few clothes hangers directly above the electric jug and cups which really concerned us. If a skirt or blouse was hung up it would have been sitting on the electric kettle. Very scary. We were shown another room which wasn't much better. In the end we upgraded to an "executive room". They allowed us to upgrade for an additional $15 per night ( discounted from $48).
Heating - our room was cold. We enquired at reception about heating and they said there was no heating in the rooms so they gave us a fan heater. Which was efficient enough.
No toilet roll holder in the bathroom. Toilet roll sat on top of the hand rail next to the toilet bowl. So it constantly fell off.
The only available mirror is in the bathroom.
Shower - the water pressure was virtually non existent.
There was no shelf in the bathroom to put a toilet bag on. It had to rest on the single hand basin.
Nothing to put our suitcases on.
Sound proofing not good. We were woken up at 5am by the rubbish truck that reversed up the dead end street and started emptying bins.
No curtains. Just pull down blinds, so it let the light in.
Cleanliness - was good. The room was well serviced.
Location- was handy. Very central. There is a medical centre and pharmacy a short walk away. The Aotea Centre is a short walk down the road.
Decor - modern. Recently renovated.
We won't be staying here again. There are plenty of other places along Queen Street that we will be staying at next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear 156AnneF156:
I endeavor to provide value for guests' money during business operation. However room size is not something we could change. Realistically room sizes are squeezing globally. During winter we propose to provide heaters. Shower pressure is burdened during peak morning otherwise smooth. Drop down curtain and second net curtain, are all new. Regarding Mirror, some food for thought to me. Will initiate action for another full size mirror in every room behind main door.
Thank you for your valuable comments.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business in April, the Hotel is under some renovations which did not impact on my stay. The bed was very comfy as was the room well set out, even though I was on a lower floor on the road side it was quiet and I had a good nights sleep. There is a small bar and restaraunt downstairs with very helpful barstaff. The location is very good for the Airbus ( first stop near K Road, the hotel is down a little lane and could be hard to find as I guess it's not a commonly know hotel, but that could change if they tweet the few small issues. Best rooms would be the exec rooms , bigger with a good size bathroom. A few extra teas and coffees in the rooms would be good , also a Auckland phone book. Overall I would stay here again because of the price and location.

Room Tip: away from the elevators and book a bigger exec room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank IJArchibald

Dear IJ Archibald:
Appreciate your valuable comments. No big renovation, but only one lift is being enlarged. Minimum disturbance has been assured by Schindler, the supplier. Generous number of Tea, coffee and sugar sachets have been provided now. Enjoy even more next time.

Reviewed 4 May 2013

Got the room for $100 for the night off wotif.com as a "last minute special" which included a king bed, the bed took up most of the room. The main door to the room clears the corner of the bed by about 10cm, they really pack you in like sardines here. Like other reviews on here, the bathroom was almost the same size as the main room. There was very little space to store any bags, let alone walk around. On a good note, the room was very clean and modern with a reasonably sized LCD on the wall. A little sign on the TV advertises the availability of various SKY Channels, however, EVERY SINGLE SKY Channel either was a black screen or had a SKY message "Service not in System Service List" or "You are not subscribed to this channel" or " No signal - rain fade" even when we could clearly see the moon out the window. All a cover up for some ongoing technical issues they must be having, in my opinion. I called the reception about this to no avail - they must get calls like this all the time and have a practiced speech. The only thing this place has going for it is its cleanliness and location.

• Stayed: May 2013
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear nzsk8er,
Thanks for candid comments. Honestly there is no "cover up" or "practiced speech" by staff for SKY channel behaviour. SKY TV stopped abrduptly during downpour and bad weather at weekend. Our Complaints to SKY customer phoneline went unresponded (perhaps due to bad weather). When SKY TV failed to respond on Monday morning, we alled our own technician to fix it. My apologies for not able to watch SKY TV.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 May 2013

My mate and I had 2 nights at the Ascotia in April, while attending the Black Sabbath concert. While it is quite tight for room, the furnishings are very good. Excellent beds, good shower, and everything nice and clean. The one problem I could fault it on, was there was only 2 sugars, 2 coffees, and 2 teas for the pair of us, per night. Otherwise all good, and for the price was excellent value. I would definitely stay again, but not if I was staying too much time in the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Simon56,
Thanks for your comments. House keeping staff has been instructed to keep generous numbers of tea, coffee and sugar puches in the room.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. For starters, nobody knew where it was - not the bus drivers, not the passers by, nobody. We finally found it by chance on one of the small lanes branching out of the main road. The check in process wasnt so great, with the reception staff's attitude being rather poor. The lift was terribly dingy and looked like it had been built in the 70s. We were almost too afraid to use it. And then we got to the room, which was really tiny. Just the bed, small side tables, a really small tv and a shelves to put our stuff. Yes, shelves. They dont even have a wardrobe. Once we put our bags on the floor, there was hardly any space left to walk. The bathroom was incredibly small too. Oh, and they only have ONE iron in the whole hotel. You have to go to the laundry room on one of the floors to use it. The iron looks like it was bought in the 70s too. Can't say much about the cleanliness of the hotel as well - the carpet looks like it isnt vacuumed often. Come to think of it, the whole time I was there I didnt hear the vacuum at all. And one of the days we came back, we found the bathroom floor covered with water - there was a leak of some sort.
Location wise - one of my friends whó lives in Auckland dropped me back to the hotel one day and she reacted with horror at where I was staying. She told me its the "wrong side of town", near the red light district.
I would not recommend this hotel, unless you have really low standards.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear Jasminroberts,
Very surprised to read your comments. Hotel is brand new and marketing has just started. Staff is young, qualified, trained, and regular recipients of applause from guests. Brand new furniture, bed, chattles, carpet, and TV. Lift is brand new installed two weeks ago by Schindler. Room size is enough to enjoy, relax and sleep comfortably. Hotel is located on top end of Queen Street whereas red light district is at other end of Queen Street. Looks like some other hotel was used after staying at Ascotia Hotel. Because none of ten points mentioned in review matches with description of Ascotia.
-Rishi

Reviewed 28 April 2013

I didnt book this hotel but I arrived off a long flight and just slept! The room was oddly shaped and it was hot, not sure what it would be like in Summer! We asked for and was given a fan as no extra cost so this was fine. The hotel is being upgraded but I was not bothered or put off, but some people can be obviously. Its central and this was the appeal, we didnt have to pay to park and we had a "note" to place on the windscreen to advise that we could park, so not sure why this is an issue for some (Nearly everywhere in the UK you pay to park and for approx £12.50 to stay over in a City Centre is the norm, and London rates, the least said the better!) I think that if you want central this is it. Had the breafast, I thought mine ok but others in my party less happy, sausage looked awfull and bacon was all fatty (sick bowl). Dont turn the toaster up either! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the parking issue, even if you have to pay, you need to be able to abandon t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Miniweller: We have recently had more experienced Chef and surely you will enjoy your breakfast more next time. Thanks