“Recommended for solo traveller ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ascotia off Queen

Ascotia off Queen
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Recommended for solo traveller ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

As a solo traveller, location and safety of the hotel/apartment/hostel are very important. I would say Ascotia off Queen meets both the criteria. The hotel is located 5 minutes away from K Road and main area of Auckland CBD, it is most convenient to access the best restaurants and most fancy shops in Auckland. Furthermore, the excellent service provided by the hotel staff is another strong point that attracts me and makes me want to go back again. Despite the fact that the size of room is not big, I am still satisfied with the price I paid to stay in this well managed hotel. Let's not forget the cafe located at the ground floor, if you need a quick bite and does not want to go too far, this is the place to go to. Well done Ascotia!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jim W
Rishi C, Owner at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear JimW:
I am overwhelmed with your comments. I simply wait for your next visit so that my team can look after you once again and make your stay memorable.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a King room at the Ascotis off Queen after previously staying in a very small and awkwardly shaped twin. My room had a nice large freshly fitted bathroom and a lovely desk with a quality leather reclining chair. Room cleaning was excellent. Staff had significantly improved the level of customer service. Hotel in my opinion is doing great. Noticed the same chain has opened up another hotel right next door which is four star - think I'll check that out next time. Hotel is great location for local Korean area, K Road and the the gay scene. Had an amazing time and can't wait for my next visit.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Craigdickson85
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Craigdickson85:
Thank you for your excellent feedback. Yes VR Group has recently opened more hotels in NZ, Australia and USA. Management and our various Hotel Teams strive to achieve excellent feedback from our guests and our motive is to provide the best service.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

A comfortable stay. Close to several cafes and a shopping strip. five-ten minute walk to downtown Auckland. This is down a steep hill which is no trouble for those who are fit. The elderly would struggle. Airport bus drops off right near the hotel and the stop to return to the airport is just across Queen St.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear esile1:
Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. City Link Bus is the easy option for those who do not wish to walk uphill. The hotel location is within walking distance of everything like Town Hall, Myers Park, Aotea Square, IMax Theatre, Civic Theatre, University Campus, Sky Tower, Casino, Waterfront Cafes and eateries, Ferry Terminal, Britomart, Viaduct Restaurants and Victoria Market. The Airport shuttle is just steps away from Hotel on Queen Street.

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I will start this by saying I have actually never been incarcerated - however if I had I'd imagine it to be very much like this room. On a scale of 1-10 of smallness with 1 being not enough room to swing a cat I'd give this place a 0.5. When I opened the room - the room they'd kindly assigned to me beside the lift I almost fell over the bed.
Looking around for a wardrobe I was disheartened to see the only hanging space was over the fridge over my tea coffee making area - hmmmm - making a brew while dry cleaning my shirt!
The bathroom what can I say - in a word - well three - beap beap beap - someone surely must have gagged the shower head - I've seen deserts spit out more water!
In a nutshell this place is absolutely rubbish - I'd sooner sleep in a cardboard box - may as well given the room size!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SydneyOzmatt
Dear SyndneyOzmatt:
Yes the room is not very spacious, but has everything a guest needs. Shower did have a problem as all the hotel rooms were occupied. However inorder to boost the pressure in showers, we are embarking on a big n costly project.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Rotorua, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here for one night. It was close to where we wanted to be and the price was good. Although the hotel is located near the top of Queen St, it is still quite close to bars, cafes, & shops. We were able to check in early as our room was ready, which was great. We got the winter special which included free wifi and continential breakfast. We booked a double room with a queen bed. The room was small but it didn't worry us too much as we didn't need to spend much time in there. The room was clean and tidy and the shower was lovely and quite ample in size. The continental breakfast was basic but filled the gap. There is a hotel carpark which you need to book but we didn't use it and instead parked down at the Civic carpark which cost us $16 (weekend rate). We would stay here again if we only needed one night.

Room Tip: It is less than 2km to the bottom of Queen St and you can always catch the City Link bus to the top...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nat A:

Appeciate your candid feedback. We have limited parking but ample parking options around in CBD for good value.

For other readers: Brand new Hotel, lovely rooms, spacious and excellent bathrooms, cleand n tidy interior ambience, In house Bar n Restaurant, friendly staff to welcome you 24/7, everything within walking distance in CBD, City bus stop few steps away,

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partners and I bought a voucher from yazoom for a 1 night stay in the queen room. We found the staff unfriendly when we were checking in & leaving. Room was tiny & shower pressure was poor. Breakfast was ok but rather small & as we bought this deal from yazoom the staff tried to refuse us a cooked breakfast (even though this was meant to be included in the deal). Overall I would not recommend this hotel as a great place to stay if your looking for luxury. It felt more like a done up backpackers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vickki77
Dear Vickki77:
Appreciate your feedback. Staff is being retrained and briefed regularly and specially in view of your remarks as Management cannot afford complacency at Reception. Room admittedly average size but has everything a guest needs. Shower pressure is just average during peak. Hotel is just 3.5 star rated and we charge the tariff level. Added advantages are: neat n tidy place, central location, and last but not least, value for your money.

Whangarei, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

After reading previous reviews about this hotel I had mixed feelings about booking a room at the Ascotia off Queen. The price was right but a terrible nights sleep can ruin a trip. I am pleased I took the chance as it was exactly as it is advertised. First impression was excellent. Reception staff were efficient and helpful. My room was perfect. Clean and tidy as was the bathroom. Its location is perfect as within walking distance of everything you need. If you find the walk up Queen Street daunting there is the City Link bus. The Ascotia is now my hotel of choice in Auckland City.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Rishi C, General Manager at Ascotia off Queen, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear ShellyleBelle:
Very thoughtful feedback. I am glad you were happy with, Front Desk Team, Room size and Cleanliness, Bathroom and location of the Hotel. As you said City Link Bus as well as Airport Shuttle Bus is only few steps away.

For other readers: No gimmicks. We offer what we advertise. Excellent value for your money.