“Something different”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Went here in a group of 5, on a Sunday night we had no wait and could sit right down. No bookings always feels a little risky for me when going with a group, but I understand why restaurants do it. I probably wouldn't try it on a Saturday night.
When we saw the prices we thought at the plates might be very small, but we were wrong - after an entree and a main no one in our group felt like they needed dessert.
Everyone was very happy with their meal - great food, my gnocchi starter deserves a special mention - delish.
Great atmosphere and a cool setting. Service was good and water was kept topped up at all times which I really appreciate.
Highly recommended

1  Thank Megs_TS

Reviewed 8 July 2013

BOOKINGS: Firstly, be aware this place does NOT take bookings. We luckily walked by on a Monday night and had no problems getting a table inside.

FOOD: We ordered one of the piadina to share for a starter. Which is like a really light tortilla with ingredients sitting inside. Was very nice, really good olive oil. For mains I ordered the lamb, my mother ordered the fish. Both very nice, lamb was the stand-out, melt your mouth type thing.

MENU: what kind of annoyed me here was that the menu just consists of each dish as the ingredients it contains rather than how it all fits together. e.g. "lamb, parsnips, currants, capers". You have to constantly ask 'how is that cooked' etc. This is also the case with the wine list which has no flavour descriptors so I just ended up googleing them on my phone.

DESSERT: shared the gelato bombe alaska - two types of gelato covered in meringue, so good! Noticed afterwards though, Milse directly opposite - the dessert specialty place (also owned by the same company and makes the Ortolana desserts), which I kind of wish we had tried instead, so many more good looking things we saw inside when we walked past.

DECOR/LOCATION: feels like you are in a warm glass greenhouse. You are amongst the fairy lights down in Britomart which is magic. The outside area also is adorned with loads of heaters and blankets so wouldn't be too cold on a winter night.

Worth a try!

2  Thank AEM967
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We went here with friends for dinner last week and after seven months in South America dining here was a complete level above anything we experienced there. The menu is interesting with unusually named items. A lot of the items on the menu I was unfamiliar with but in a good way. The waitress serving us was really helpful and paitent with all our questions. We had a mushroom pasta and a pumpkin gnochetti. The mushroom pasta was great: warming, flavourful but not overpowering, and the portion size was just right (not too large which I find can be a bit of a pain when you're eating pasta. My boyfriend had the pumpkin gnochetti and it had lots of lovely warm winter flavours that he enjoyed a lot. Cinnamon, walnut, pumpkin and something he couldn't pinpoint but enjoyed a lot. We all had a different fruity drink which was very tasty and fresh.
The setting is nice, in Britomart. I like how you can look out at the fairy lights outside, very pretty.
Price is very reasonable for the quality of food, not too expensive at all. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Excellent experience. Food a little different.well priced with small plates. Interesting location in Britomart.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I ordered the Organic quinoa & nut granola,pear, yoghurt mousse last weekend and I still can't get it off my mind! Ortolana has a modern but comforting menu and decor - especially nice on a cold and rainy day. I will definitely be coming back here the next time I'm in Auckland.