“Can't wait to return”
Review of Ortolana

Ortolana
Ranked #21 of 2,256 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Can't wait to return”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My boyfriend and I dined at Ortolana new years eve and is defiantly one of the top restaurants in Auckland. The food is authentic without being boring, the ingredients are fresh and the service was spot on. At first glance the menu is small, they obviously try to focus on a smaller number of dishes and get them perfect, which they do. I had the lobster linguine to start which was like no other dish I've tried before, my partner had the fish of the day for his main and it was amazing (I'm not a fan of fish usually) and I had lamb, it was literally falling apart. There was a really good variety of wine to choose from and the desserts were delectable. This place is a must, with the only down side being you can't book, you go onto a waiting list though we only waited 30minutes and they called us, totally worth the wait. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great lunch!! Will always return to this place :D”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is the 3rd time I have been here, and once again Ortolana never fails to impress! We had a great lunch at Ortolana situating in the middle of Britomart complex. We sat outside which was a little chilly, but there are blankets which they offer to you to wrap around nice and cosy. Wonderful service. Awesome food, we had steak, hapuka (fish of the day), and gnocchi and all the dishes impress us. Also love how Milse from nextdoor (the best dessert restaurant in Auckland in my mind) supplies their dessert :)

• Visited March 2014
Perth
“Different, fantastic”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The food and ambience here are certainly different, healthy and overall, excellent and good value. The sparkling water is complimentary, the service friendly and helpful and the meals combine unusual ingredients to produce very tasty and enjoyable dining. Definitely worth visiting if you are growing tired of the usual offerings.

Visited April 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Lived up to expectations”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Like all no bookings restaurants I left my number to call and they gave an estimated time for securing a table. In fact I got one 15 mins earlier which was great. There are by the way many bars to have a drink in while you wait. The food was well worth the wait and the staff friendly and efficient. I will return!

Visited March 2014
USA
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Hate to be in minority & soo wanted to love this place as much as everyone else raving about it, but just couldn't. Food took a really, really long time to come (40+minutes), and although they put all the materials for bread dipping on the table, didn't bring any bread--so fine, we ordered some separately ourselves, but were done eating by the time it came, so were quite annoyed when the check still reflected a $5 charge for 4 small pieces of buttered bread (just felt like it should have been on the house given how long we had to wait in the first place and then the fact that we were done eating by the time the bread side came out). Water was refilled infrequently and served in pretty small glasses. Ok, fine, that all aside, coffee came out luke warm too--which I understand it's a busy Sunday brunch, but come on. Food was decent but came in tiny portions for the price--he got the Porchetta & I got the Mozzarella burrata--sorry, but we were starving by the time it finally came out (we had also waited about 35minutes to be seated, so the clock had been ticking for a while) and so were still pretty hungry at the end of it (and my stomach is normally quite easy to fill!)

Although this place is clearly frequented by a lot of locals (which made it attractive to us in the first place), at the end of the day, I'd have to call it your run-of-the-mill, frou-frou, overpriced city restaurant, simply up-playing its "chic little bistro" badge.

• Visited March 2014