“The real thing”

Petra Shawarma
Ranked #1,772 of 2,360 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 8 February 2014

It had been many years since I'd had a genuine Jordanian meal and I never thought I'd have anything like it ever again....until I walked into Petra Shawarma. The amazing smells coming from the kitchen as we waited for our meals, along with the restaurant decor, the music and even hearing the owner and her young daughter in the kitchen speaking to each other in Arabic, took me back in time to when I'd visited Amman, Jordan. It's one of my favorite memories.
This restaurant has also become one of my favorite eateries, and we will most definitely be going back...many times.

1  Thank TawnaNZ

Reviewed 26 September 2013

This is not a kebab shop. This is much, much better. The friendly staff advised us on our order, laid out our cutlery and provided table service. We were dining very early, and could smell our dinner being cooked - pleased to note that many components of the meal were, clearly, made to order. Our mixed sharwerma were delicious, filled with complex, delicious flavour and texture. The hummus side offered lovely contrasts, with added oil and spices, and fresh, tasty, piping-hot pita. A couple of (we guessed) Jordanian men came in and ordered in their language - they also looked pleased with what was served. This photo probably doesn't do the place justice - several other meals which emerged were, perhaps, more photo-worthy. Plenty of options for substitution, for those with dietary restrictions.