“Glass half full...maybe 1/8th full actually”
Review of La Fourchette

La Fourchette
Ranked #347 of 2,272 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Auckland
“Glass half full...maybe 1/8th full actually”
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has promise, its good to see something new in the area, so much of aucklands waterfront is cursed with awfull restaurants so anything must be an improvement. But the reviews and my experience show an inconsistent level here.

We went here for a late lunch, the layout is odd, there was a fair bit of jostling to get seated.

The waitstaff did not explain the menu, or enquire if it was our first visit, just asked if we were ready to order, not good.

We placed our order after deciphering the menu.

Our drinks arrived, diet coke and a glass of the house rose, which was so pathetically small it should have been called a taste, this really gets my goat, big glass and no wine. Note to the owner: if you want to drive people away in droves, keep doing this, kiwis hate it with a passion!

I ordered the set menu, soup and pizza, pizza arrived first, then I was asked if I actually wanted soup, which was a no. So I switched the 2nd course to desert, which was very nice. Pizza was fantastic.

My wife was unhappy with her meal although I thought it Tasted fine, I think the wine thing did her in, after that she wanted to just get it over with.

Cost of the meal was pretty good at $47 for two, we will go again but might give them some time to settle in and get the shot pour off the wine bottles.

Visited September 2013

Auckland, New Zealand
“Gluten Free - you're not doing it right!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Okay I admit the review rating does not reflect the place or the staff or the food APART from the gluten free pizza bases. For this reason alone I rate them poor. These days GF bases can be amazing (try Crust Parnell or even the funny little Italian place round the corner). La Fourchette ones where tasteless, bland but sadly (because it's avoidable) undercooked and soft. Yuk. I'm not even GF but my partner is and so I go along with it because often I find they are better than traditional bases. These ones were worse than below average and that spoilt the whole pizza. Please everyone thanks for trying but don't bother if it's going to be like that. Real shame because OMG the rest of the food looked amazing especially the patisserie.

Auckland, New Zealand
“Charming, busy little taste of France in St Heliers”
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

A delightful and casual taste of France with friendly French staff. We went for breakfast very early on Father's Day. Gorgeous coffee and crepes. It is extremely busy and popular. We booked a table upstairs and it was waiting for us when we arrived. There were people queuing for a table. We will be back!

“Overrated”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Poor service, overpriced poor food. Small helpings. Non existence ambience. Don't waste your money here there are far better options in St Heliers.

3 Thank TheGilly60
Auckland, New Zealand
“A decent Paris brest pastry would have rated this restaurant higher”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We dined here recently; the service was fantastic and the boeuf bourguignon was tender, smokey and totally delicious. The entree of salade de berger with the goats cheese was merely ok...I probably could do better at home as I was expecting so much more based on reviews I had read. My husband really enjoyed the duck liver pate.
This afternoon I treated myself to a Paris brest pastry and was so disappointed in the dry pastry, the lump of tasteless butter type filling that I threw most of it in the bin...you can find much, much better than this in Auckland. So, a mixed review but we shall return making judicious choices as we go.

• Visited August 2013